Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Hong Chao
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the white mould only appears when the weather is too hot and then temperature drops suddenly. in our SG weather, we get these too often. Morning super hot, then suddenly it pouring rain. The weather and overall room temperature affects wine fermentation.

This is something I learnt, first hand from a Chinese Wine manufacturer in Singapore. Our homes are not ideal places to make wine thru out the year. Wines made by wineries are like green houses for wine(green houses are usually use for growing veggie and fruits, flowers, etc)

During my 3 years of wine making at home, I encountered this white mould on the surface too. So I ask the Wine manufacturers, they told me to just scrape off the top layer and discard it. and cover the jar, continue with fermentation. If you leave the mould behind, it may spoil the wine and cause contamination of the wine.

Advice given by them to counter this problem to make wine at home:

Choose either one method:

Wrap jar in a large cloth and place the jar in a dark corner(storeroom). This ensures constant heat/temperature

or

Move the jar to different places in your house that is warmed when the weather starts to act crazy(hot, cold, hot, cold).

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
coolcookie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina for your clear explanation. I left SG for 1+ week on weekend... and before I left, I stirred the entire mixture see stars (cos that was the 7th day...) I guess I'd foul up the whole wine! Anyway, I'll find out when I return in a weeks' time!

island Cheers!
peh familes
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hong Chao Reply with quote

tthksy wrote:
This recipe is from my aunt. She only makes small batches using the big Horlick bottle.

1 kg G. rice
120 g red yeast ( dry under sun for abt 30 mins, then blend )
1 chow paeng ( break into crumbs )

Cooked the rice in rice cooker. Cool down the rice. Put one layer of rice in the bottle, sprinkle with red yeast then chow paeng. Continue until finish. Tighten the lid and put in cool, dry place. Stir after one week. The red wine should be ready in about 1 1/2 month. Strain using cheese cloth. The wine is good for cooking. The residue will be Hong Chao. Add salt to the residue and keep in fridge.

Hi tthksy ,

can i mixed the red yeast and the chew peng together with the rice b4 putting it into the glass jar instead of layer by layer .
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, not tthksy, the answer is 'yes'. For my first batch, I mixed them together before puting into the glass container.

All That Matters
peh familes
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Reirei wrote:
Hi Gina, I just started making hong zhao wine. Today marked the 2nd day and I already have wine settling about 1 inch at the bottom. Does it progress that fast? I used white glutinous rice + ground hong zhao. Is it correct that I press the cooked glutinous rice as compact as possible? Thanks for answering in advance. Very Happy

Rei

if you do this properly, by end of Day 1, you will see a bit of wine and lots of water droplets at the top of the jar..just above the rice. That is normal.

yes, you have to press the rice down to compact it. I also made Hong Chao wine on Saturday..to prepare it for my class on 31May.

I just started my wine making on sunday, but i forgot to press the cooked rice compact. But it look quite promising leh . can i open the cap and press the rice down now?
Cynthiapoh
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: honaog c Reply with quote

hi gina

do i need to wash the red yeast before i blend? actually it red yeast or red yeast rice? im v confused... tks
kwa4165
lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

I encountered this greyish mould on the surface of my rice wine. Can I just scrape off the top layer and discard it. It does not smell rotten.

Thks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: