Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Muscadine Wine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old CooT
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Muscadine Wine Reply with quote

Muscadine Wine

I have been cultivating these Muscadine grapes (golden muscadine) for about 15 years. This uear I have netted about 30 gallons of grapes with maybe 5 to go on the vines. These grapes make a "to die for jelly " and a really flavorful wine.

Here is the method I use, and generally, I use a Champagne yeast ot Dry wine yeast.

====

A simple way to make wine

What you need:

about 1 1/2 gallons of fresh fruit (any seeds should be removed)
10 - 12 pounds of sugar, 10 for dry wine, 12 for sweet wine.
1 ea. packet of Dry Wine Yeast
2 ea. - 5 gallon water bottles (Glass Preferably but plastic
will work too), or, they make 5 ? gallon plastic buckets
with gasket sealed lids also.
1 ea. Rubber plug or cap (these are specific to the container or
bucket you are using.
1 ea. - air lock
A Piece of womens nylon stocking
1 ea. large ( about 3 gallon ) pot
1 ea. Large funnel with a filter screen
4 feet of 3/8" clear tubing for siphoning
Something to wrap any clear bottle that you use to make wine in.

What to do:

In a large pot, put in about 1 gallon of hot water ( well or bottled is best, city water has chemicals and the taste will carry over into the wine).

Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved and the solution is clear in the pot, Let it cool to room Temperature.

In a blender, add some
fruit until about 3/4 full, fill to 1/2 with water and blend. Repeat until done with fruit emptying the blender into the 5 gallon water bottle. When you are finished with the fruit add water until there is about 4 1/2 gallons of the mixture total in the bottle (or Bucket).

In a 8 oz. glass, put about 4 oz. of lukewarm water, add the yeast and wait about 10 minutes or until the yeast melts and sinks then stir well. Add the yeast solution to the water bottle. Stir in thoroughly.

Add the air lock ( this prevents bacteria from entering the wine ). Fill to about 1/3rd full of water and cover with the nylon stocking, wrap it with a rubber band to retain it on the air lock. This keeps the bugs out of the wine.

Wrap the bottle with towels or a blanket at this time leaving the air lock exposed, this prevents the light from turning the wine a brown color, Put the wine in a cool, dark place to ferment, like a closet.

In this method, fermentation has to go through the complete process. At first, the air lock will be very active and slows down as time passes. After about 4 weeks, the air lock will make about a bubble a second or slower.

Siphon off the wine into a second water bottle (or bucket) separating the fruit from the wine and reset the air lock. Discard the fruit on bottom. Add more water to the 4 1/2 gallon mark.

Do this in 2 week intervals being careful not to disturb the sediments on the bottom of the bottle.

When the wine is clear, bottle it and age it for about 6 months. I'll bet you can't wait that long .

It's safe to sample it as you go, the yeast is harmless, but the more you age it, the clearer it will get.

As you get better at it, you can buy a Hygrometer and gauge the alcohol content too.

Take in mind, this is the simplest method for wine
making, the pureists will have you adding chemicals and so on. This method will work with almost anything, peaches, apples, grapes, you pick.

If you are in a hurry to clarify (clear up) your wine,.. you can use some "Speedy Bentonite" it is a natural clay like substance that will remove most of the floating particles in 1-2 days.

If you have questions.. just ask me..

Try here for supplies:

http://www.eckraus.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: