Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Chicken Corn soup - Deutsch style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfanpa
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Chicken Corn soup - Deutsch style Reply with quote

This is a local favorite in Lancaster County, PA amongst the Amish and Mennonite, quite wholesome. Amish are Anabaptist who came to US during religious persecution in Europe, they are mostly Deutsch or German.

I use my thermal cooker for this coz I'm too lazy to watch the pot while making the chicken stock. With the thermal pot, I can just boil and forget it until I'm ready for it.

3 meaty chicken leg(drum and thigh)
6 ears of corn (kernel removed, save the stalk for stock)
5 ribs celery, bite size
3 carrots, bite size
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Rivals:
1 C flour
1 egg

3 hard boiled eggs, chopped(optional)

Cover chicken legs and corn stalk(w/o the kernels) with water in the inner pot of thermal cooker, bring to a boil and set the pot in the outer pot for 2 -3 hours.
Remove chicken and discard the corn stalk. Add corn, celery, carrots and onions and bring to a boil. Set the pot in the outer pot for 30 minutes or until ready to eat.
In the meantime shred the meat off the bone cut into bite size pieces and set aside.
When you are ready to eat bring pot to a boil, add chicken. Slowly sprinkle and rub rivals with your hands into the stock while stirring so it won't clump up. It's done when the rivals float to the top and the soup thickens a bit.

Lastly, add hard boiled eggs and remove from heat. Enjoy.

To make rivals:
Put flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. Drop the egg in the well and use your index finger to break the egg and start stirring in the flour. Do not form dough, this is supposed to look like crumbs. Rivals can be made a few hours ahead of time and must be refrigerated coz of the egg.

NOTE: When I used to work, I would make the rivals ahead of time and keep refrigerated, and cook the chicken with the vege in the morning before I leave for work. When I come home, I can just remove the chicken and shred them and add rivals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Soupy Soups! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: