Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Chicken Chop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Meats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiJi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Chicken Chop Reply with quote

Can someone share the recipe? My kids requested to have chicken chop for dinner.

Thank you.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiji

chicken chop recipe..you can follow the one I had here for Chicken Chop with Tomato Miso Sauce. It depends on what type of sauce you like to have. Usually people just have mushroom sauce.

http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2945

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
toon
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated on 25 Oct 2005 with pic
Chicken Chop served with Potato Puffs

My personal recipe:

Serves 1.

Ingredients:
2 Chicken thighs (NOT the drumstick section) (de-boned, leave skin on)

Seasoning:
1 tbsp Soy sauce
Pepper to taste
Optional:
pinch of oregano or 1 tsp Hua Tiao Jiu (to mask the "chicken" taste)

Method:
1. Heat frying pan (preferably non-stick) and add sufficient oil to coat the bottom of pan (about 1 tbsp) of cooking oil when pan is heated.
2. Place chicken thigh skin-side facing down on frying pan
3. Add seasoning
4. After about 5 min, turn the chicken over to the other side to cook (depending on thickness of the chicken, I usually turn the chicken over when the skin starts to show signs of browning)
5. After 3 min, turn chicken back to the skin side and pan-fry for another 1 min.
6. Remove from heat and serve the chicken topped with brown gravy and sides such as fries/eggs/baked beans/bread etc.

Notes:
1. For the brown gravy, I buy pre-packed mixes (eg McCormick) and cook as per instructions. I throw in sauteed onions and sliced button mushrooms for added flavor.
2. Soy sauce can be reduced or replaced by salt if you find the taste of soy sauce in the chicken too strong.[/img]

Last edited by toon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toon

interesting recipe. by the way, NTUC and Cold Storage do sell Boneless chicken thighs. Usually they are Fresh chicken. So the meat is very tender..after cooking, its very juicy.

the labelling used in CS is very funny : Bless Chicken Thigh. The word Bless is a short form of BoneLESS..so cute hor? Wink

toon
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,

I must complain about the NTUC at my place then. They sell fresh chicken thighs, but not boneless. So I have to de-bone it myself. Evil or Very Mad

DH and I both love to order chicken chops while we were at NUS so I created this recipe from observing how the stallholder cooked his chicken chop. The seasoning was by trial & error. Doubt that it's authentic but so long as it tastes great, who cares! Wink But yah, one of the key thing in this recipe is not to over-cook the chicken so that it stays juicy & tender.

I'm planning to do this soon, let me see if I can get my DH to take a pic of it for me. (He's into photography while I'm most happy cooking.)
JiJi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina & Toon

Thank you very much. Will try this recipe during the weekend.
Stefanie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I love this recipe....the lemon juice tenderises the chicken,and the herbs go so well with it. Best still,it all goes in your food processor,just blitz and go!

HERB MARINADE FOR 8 to 10 chicken thighs:
4 to 5 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp worth garlic
juice and zest of a large lemon
2 to 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme,leaves removed,stalks discarded
1 heaped tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
Salt and fresh ground back pepper to taste

HOW:
Process all ingredients till combined...the oil and acid,when "whipped" in the processor,will thicken and become slightly creamy...this allows it to sit on the chicken really well instead of "sliding" off,and hence allows flavour to penetrate better!

P.S: Tip for you...chicken chops can be hard to cook because they have uneven thickness. So slash thru the thick parts before marinating. Another point,to get really crisp skin,get the pan really hot,have some oil in,and sear the chicken skin side down. Cover with a lid to trap in heat. After 3 minutes,turn over and fry...no lid on,otherwise skin goes soft...not crisp.
NO pressing,and no multiple turns. Juice will escape resulting in dry chicken... coffee
kitchen
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
toon

interesting recipe. by the way, NTUC and Cold Storage do sell Boneless chicken thighs. Usually they are Fresh chicken. So the meat is very tender..after cooking, its very juicy.

the labelling used in CS is very funny : Bless Chicken Thigh. The word Bless is a short form of BoneLESS..so cute hor? Wink

Gina

Do you have any idea which NTUC sells the boneless chicken thighs? The ones that I frequent definitely do not have! And which CS sells Bless Chicken too? Definitely not the one at Heartland Mall!

Thanks!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitchen

CS Compass Point sells Bless Chicken Wink me always seen lurking there. CS Heartland Mall going to be Auntie and Ah Soh Supermarket soon(Shop n Save) :lol:

just take MRT from Heartland Mall to Seng Kang. Compass Point is just above the station. While at there, go and buy dog food also..that is why I go there often. Dog food there cheaper than Hougang mall. coffee

kitchen
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina

Thanks, I don't need the MRT to go to SengKang. I can take Service 80. Dog food is delivered right to my doorstep! Wink

Will check out CS at Compass Point one day!

Thanks once again!
ponine
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought boneless chciken leg instead because i could not stop any boneless chicken thighs. The look the same to me Razz

1 problem i encountered while making this dish is that the chicken is sliced too thick and that makes it hard to cook. And the pan frying stage made my kitchen so oily. island

Anyone encountered the same issue?
jingle26
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Chicken Chop Reply with quote

ponine wrote:
I bought boneless chciken leg instead because i could not stop any boneless chicken thighs. The look the same to me Razz

1 problem i encountered while making this dish is that the chicken is sliced too thick and that makes it hard to cook. And the pan frying stage made my kitchen so oily. island

1. chicken too thick - you hv to use a meat hammer to tenderize it or use the back of ur chopper or knive to chop the meat.

2. kitchen too oily - when the oil is hot, off the fire, put in the chicken then cover. turn on the fire, then remove the cover. first high fire, then gradually reduce to low fire for frying.

hopefully this tips can help u.

jingle26
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slash the thick portions in several places to ensure even cooking.
Also,have a cover ready for the pan,slam on once you put the chicken in,to prevent oil spitting.
cinderella
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponine wrote:

You can buy the frozen boneless chicken thighs. My mom told me that when frying, must wait till the oil is hot before putting in the food. Also the food to be fried must be free from dripping water.
cinderella
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to make black pepper sauce for the chicken chop? Or is there pre-packed black pepper sauce?
Yummy
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kitchen,

The wet market near Heartland Mall do have chicken drumstick without bone at $1 each...very cheap. I travelled all the way just to buy drumstick & wings ($5 for 13 pcs.). yummy
cinderella
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we need to pound the meat before marinating? I heard from my mom that pounding can make the meat tender.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinderella wrote:
Do we need to pound the meat before marinating? I heard from my mom that pounding can make the meat tender.

Chicken is tender meat. You only need to pound meat like pork, beef or lamb.

The trick to get a tender chicken is controlling the heat during cooking. Chicken cooks very fast so you need to control the heat and flip it every now and then.

Also, if you pound chicken meat, you will break up the muscle in the meat. Causing it to loose more 'juice'. Its the muscle that helps to lubricate the meat during the cooking process.

melina
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toon wrote:
Updated on 25 Oct 2005 with pic
Chicken Chop served with Potato Puffs

My personal recipe:

Serves 1.

Ingredients:
2 Chicken thighs (NOT the drumstick section) (de-boned, leave skin on)

Seasoning:
1 tbsp Soy sauce
Pepper to taste
Optional:
pinch of oregano or 1 tsp Hua Tiao Jiu (to mask the "chicken" taste)

Method:
1. Heat frying pan (preferably non-stick) and add sufficient oil to coat the bottom of pan (about 1 tbsp) of cooking oil when pan is heated.
2. Place chicken thigh skin-side facing down on frying pan
3. Add seasoning
4. After about 5 min, turn the chicken over to the other side to cook (depending on thickness of the chicken, I usually turn the chicken over when the skin starts to show signs of browning)
5. After 3 min, turn chicken back to the skin side and pan-fry for another 1 min.
6. Remove from heat and serve the chicken topped with brown gravy and sides such as fries/eggs/baked beans/bread etc.

Notes:
1. For the brown gravy, I buy pre-packed mixes (eg McCormick) and cook as per instructions. I throw in sauteed onions and sliced button mushrooms for added flavor.
2. Soy sauce can be reduced or replaced by salt if you find the taste of soy sauce in the chicken too strong.[/img]

Hi Toon, I love your receipe, simple and easy to follow. I have been looking for chicken chop receipe. A qs, do we need to season the chicken thigh? If yes for how long? My first entry here and I like the tips given here.
I'm Singaporean and has just relocated to the Netherlands. Hence, I'm starting to learn more about cooking. I love this website overall!
toon
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melina,

sorry for the late reply, I hardly visit this forum now. I hope you are still looking around here.

I usually don't season the chicken chop before cooking. However, if you wish to, you can season it with the seasoning I've listed. 30min should be sufficient.
melina
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toon wrote:
Hi Melina,

sorry for the late reply, I hardly visit this forum now. I hope you are still looking around here.

I usually don't season the chicken chop before cooking. However, if you wish to, you can season it with the seasoning I've listed. 30min should be sufficient.

Thanks alot for making the effort to reply to me, Toon!
I tried the chicken chop sometime back and it was great!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Meats All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: