Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
3D Chocolate Moulds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinyin
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: 3D Chocolate Moulds Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

I was the one who bought the mini donut pans and 3D Xiao Ding Dang and 3D Snoopy chocolate moulds (simply because I love these 2 cartoons) from you the other day.

I would like to try out the 3D moulds today as my parents have been nagging non stop at me for buying the moulds just to keep. hehe... so got to do something out of them to stop their nagging. I just couldn't control myself whenever I saw items from these 2 cartoons. haha to put it simply, I am a snoopy and xiao ding dang fanatics.

May I have your advice on how to get started on the moulds? Can I just do a simple one by melting the VanHouten dark baking chocolate and fill up the moulds? How do I stick both sides of the chocolates together to get the 3D? How do I remove the chocolates after it has been chilled in the fridge? What other things do I need to take note of?

To side track a bit, I always face this problem whenever I bake cakes. The cakes will always shrink a lot from the sides and sink at the top when left to cool although it rises nicely in the oven and just when taken out from the oven. haha when I bake in paper cases, it will shrink until I can just simply take from the papercases with ease without having to tear the paper to eat the cakes. haha mum had also been joking that might as well don't use the papercases since its like of no use to the cakes.
May I have your advice how to avoid the shrinking?

Sorry to ask so many questions at one shot because I am still a newbie and always follow the recipes exactly. I also wouldn't know how come will have certain problems and always got so many questions marks when something goes wrong.

Regards from Yinyin
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinyin

problems or questions should go to the Cake Decorations 101 section.

the chocolate moulds you bought must use compound chocolate..not the regular chocolates or you will not be able to remove the chocolates.

if you want to use regular chocolates, you need to temper the chocolates in order for it to work.

I have a chocolate moulding class this Sunday at Bukit Merah Central. If you can come for the class, do go. You will learn everything about how to mould chocolates using all the various plastic moulds.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Yinyin
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok. Thanks. This sunday I can't make it. Any other days? Is it hands-on and how much and how long per lesson? Where to get compound chocolates? Need to add anything else to the compound chocolates? Sorry what do you mean by "temper the chocolates"?

Thanks & Regards from Yinyin
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinyin wrote:
Oh ok. Thanks. This sunday I can't make it. Any other days? Is it hands-on and how much and how long per lesson? Where to get compound chocolates? Need to add anything else to the compound chocolates? Sorry what do you mean by "temper the chocolates"?

Thanks & Regards from Yinyin

my classes are all full hands on unless otherwise stated. its 3 hours per session and you will do everything yourself. of course I will demo for 15 mins or so. the rest of the time, its DIY.

I don't share the course contents here at the forum as I use it in my class. So to know more, you have to come for class.

here's some write up I found on the NET about tempering chocolates
http://www.ghirardelli.com/bake/chocolate_tempering.aspx

there is a video on how to temper the chocolates from the site too. Though it looks simple, its not simple. You need a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the melted chocolate when u need to temper the chocolates.

there are special chocolate tempering machines on sale. But its not cheap. It costs more than a KitchenAid mixer!!

see stars

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Yinyin
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101 All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: