Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Flourless Orange Cake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvzbaking
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Flourless Orange Cake Reply with quote

Yes zurynee, you are quite right, depending on individual's butter cake recipes, sometimes common sense has to prevail. Just add a little more flour if the final batter mix is too runny as adding in a whole orange into a recipe is adding quite a bit of liquid.

I just shared my recipes with someone who requested for them privately so I thought since I've typed them up already, might as well post them here too.

FLOURLESS ORANGE CAKE
(good cake for celiacs - just check that your baking powder does not contain wheat flour)
1 whole orange
1 cup sugar (I normally use about 3/4 cup as I don't like my cake too sweet)
3 eggs
125 gms almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Place orange in a small pot, cover orange with water and bring to boil, simmering orange for 20mins. Remove orange and allow to cool (at this stage, I usually cut it up into chunks and remove the seeds and the little top part where the stem was - by cutting it up, it cools faster also).
2. Process all orange chunks in food processor till pureed.
3. Add sugar to the orange, whiz for a few seconds.
4. Add eggs, almond meal and baking powder, process untill quite smooth.
5. Line a roll/lamington tray with silicone baking paper, grease the ends of the tray.
6. Pour mix into tray, bake in moderate oven for 25-30 mins, till golden brown and firm.
7. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 mins or more.
8. Place a ray over the cake tine, up end the cake onto the tray, peel off baking paper.
9. Chill until ready to serve.
10. Lovely served with a dollop of really thick cream and a tiny piece of fruit. Or like me, just use a dollop of vanilla or chocolate ice cream, yummy!!

Note: Oven temp 170C for electric/gas and 150C for fan forced. Best to start preheating oven just before step 2.

ORANGE BUTTER CAKE
225 gms butter (softened)
200 gms castor sugar (if you like your cake sweeter than this, use 225 gms sugar)
225 gms self raising flour (sifted)
4 eggs
1 small orange (prepared as per above recipe)

1. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and orange puree.
2. Fold in flour. As oranges and eggs vary in size, if you feel that the final batter is too soft (ie, not dropping consistency per normal butter cake), please don't hesitate to add 1 or 2 more tbsp of sifted flour to bring it to the right consistency.
3. I usually use a fluted ring tin or a loaf tin for this as it cooks faster and more evenly (I think) Cheeky grin . Grease and very lightly flour the ring tin or if using loaf tin, line the bottom of tin and grease/flour the sides.

Note: Oven temp 170C for electric/gas and 160C for fan forced.

Hope you enjoy these cakes - let me know how you go.

Additional notes from me would be to use oven temps here as a guide only as every oven is different and you would know your own oven better than anyone else. I have a fan forced one and those are the temps I use.

I also sometimes have to simmer the orange nearly 30 mins as I felt the skin was not 'translucent' enough, maybe because the skin was so thick. But generally 20 mins will be sufficient. Once water boils, a very gentle simmer is important as if you continue with rapid boil, your orange skin will most likely 'burst' and you'll loose a lot of the flavour into the water. And most important of all, the orange puree MUST be room temperature when you add it to the cake mixture, so you can prep the orange well in advance, does not have to be necessarily just before you start baking.

ENJOY yummy
________
volcano vaporizer

Last edited by luvzbaking on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
purplecow
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luvzbaking. I'll give it a try! Let you know again how it turns out.
jessie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use cake flour instead of Self Raising Flour? As got cake flour left at home and sitting there exercise
jessie
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this cake and it turn out moist, what went wrong? Overall still edible but feels dense
luvzbaking
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessie wrote:
Made this cake and it turn out moist, what went wrong? Overall still edible but feels dense

Hi Jessie
Which recipe did you you, there are a few in this thread.

And when you say dense, what do you mean? Not as light as a sponge cake or was it a 'moist' butter cake? Did you take a picture of it? Very Happy
________
aromed vaporizers
________
FREE VAPORIZER

Last edited by luvzbaking on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
xan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvzbaking : thanks for sharing this lovely recipe. i made this 2 wks ago & couldnt wait to try it as soon as it came out of the oven.MMMmmm it was heavenly! i used the whole orange for the recipe yummy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luzbaking

I have spilt your recipe from mine. So as not to confuse others when they are looking for your recipe and cannot find. Smile

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
jessie
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The texture was mosit. Forget to take photo but overall the cake still edible. grin
luvzbaking
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
I have spilt your recipe from mine. So as not to confuse others when they are looking for your recipe and cannot find. Smile

Thank you Gina.

Jessie, try the recipe again. If you get it right, it is a really aromatic cake. Just remember that if cake mixture seems a bit too wet after adding all the flour in the recipe, don't be afraid to add a tablespoon or more extra to get the right dropping consistency. Would love to know how you go... Wink .
Xan, great to know you had success and you liked the cake grin .

I baked a double recipe of the Orange Butter Cake last week (one as a large cake in my bundt pan, and the rest as cupcakes). Actually took some pics thinking I can teach myself to post here but being the rotten cameraman that I am, only the pics of the boiled oranges taken in natural daylight turned out, the other one of the baked cakes looked over exposed so how? . I did take the finished cake pic under white flourescent light (it was at night) with the camera flash turned off and yet.... sigh. Next time but meanwhile, here are the oranges I used (had a few people asking about the size of the oranges I used as they were a bit sceptical that the cake will turn out too 'wet' - so I put a teaspoon with the oranges for scale Very Happy

These 2 oranges were boiled for nearly 30mins (thick skin) and when blended, made a very full metric cup of thick orange puree. I did not have to add any extra flour this time, the final mix consistency was just about right.

________
strawberry cough
________
Iosis

Last edited by luvzbaking on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvzbaking

I have tried making this orange cake for CNY. It is lovely and strong orange smell. I add half tsp of orange emulco, and a bit more flour.
It is a sure keeper. Thanks for the recipe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pound & Butter All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: