Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Braised and Roasted Chicken(recipe and pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Braised and Roasted Chicken(recipe and pic) Reply with quote

I wanted to try out something different for a change.

I braised a whole chicken using the method I have:
http://forum.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9713

then Roast it in the oven for 25 mins. This is how I do it.
Method:
1. Using the recipe link above to braise a whole chicken.
2. Braise it for only 10 mins just to make the chicken dark coloured and semi-cooked.
3. Put the chicken on a baking tray.
4. Pour some sauce inside the cavity of the chicken.

5. Put the tray onto another bigger tray that is filled halfway with water.
6. Roast in preheated oven 180C for 30 mins

7. Remove to cool. Cut into smaller pieces using kitchen scissors

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glad
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this and the result is GOOD! Thanks Gina for the wonderful recipe. The chicken was juicy inside but I didn't get the crispy effect tho'. Will definitely cook this again. Thank you.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad

I modified the cooking method from Violet Oon's Roast duck recipe. She braised the duck, then roast it in the oven. But I just added the baine marie method to it as I heard that water in the oven helps to cook the meat(more like tenderising it) better. Wink

Iris
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Braised and Roasted Chicken Reply with quote

Dear Gina

Thank you for your recipe. Made it last night and it was very yummy. Had the leftovers for dinner tonight - still very shiok. Thanks again.

Iris
sy
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

I notice you have various recipe for roasting, just like to ask you some general questions before I try one of them. (definately will try).

I have a 30L 3-in-1 microwave with oven feature (no MW, just the heating element). Dont think it can hold a proper spitroast (correct term?) for the chicken to stand (even though my heating element can be turn down to vertical postition), so what I'll do is put the chicken lying down on a baking tray, is this ok? How often do I need to turn the chicken and about halfway isit?

I see some western recipes that throw some potatoes into the tray to make full use of the gravy/ marinade, do I add the potatoes right at the beginning?

Thanks for you advise!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sy wrote:
Hi Gina,

I notice you have various recipe for roasting, just like to ask you some general questions before I try one of them. (definately will try).

I have a 30L 3-in-1 microwave with oven feature (no MW, just the heating element). Dont think it can hold a proper spitroast (correct term?) for the chicken to stand (even though my heating element can be turn down to vertical postition), so what I'll do is put the chicken lying down on a baking tray, is this ok? How often do I need to turn the chicken and about halfway isit?

I see some western recipes that throw some potatoes into the tray to make full use of the gravy/ marinade, do I add the potatoes right at the beginning?

Thanks for you advise!

hi sy

this particular recipe is not done with a spitroast thingy..gee, I don't even know the right term for it..coz I don't use it at all.

You only need to turn the chicken over after 15 mins.

the potatoes are optional. That's western style. Chinese style usually have nothing along with it. Because we collect the gravy and drizzle on the chicken or use it as a dip after the chicken is cooked.

As to your MW oven..most MW oven rotates in a circular motion during cooking/baking/roasting/grilling process. So you would rest the raw food on a round wire rack that comes with the MW oven and collect the gravy under with a round tray.

and yes, I have many many roasting recipes here. all tried and tested..and works. Wink

sy
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina!

I got my heart set on the soya sauce one (maybe play with some of the teriyaki & char siew sauce I have in the fridge), this braised and then roast one too much for novice liao. I used to think roast poultry are difficult, your recipe looks really easy and encouraging.
Jennifer
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sy,

I did the soya sauce one last weekend, I add in slice garlic and dice ginger and some thyme on top of the recommended ingred. in the recipe to marinate the chicken overnite....did not add dry mustard cos dun have it. I grill the chicken at 180 deg C for about 45min.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sy

of all the Roasted meat, I find that Red Meats are the most difficult to achieve that high standard. Poultry are by far, the easiest and fail-proof/idiot proof ones. Surprisingly I never failed once with any Roast poultry dishes..but failed on several occasions with Pork, Lamb or Beef Embarassed

Red meat are tough meat..and especially with lamb and beef, you really need to know how to tenderise it before it reaches the hot oven or it will be even more tougher island Also, you really need to season/marinate it overnight so that the flavour gets deep into the meat.

with chicken or duck, marinating only takes 30 mins the most. Any longer , it may stain the flesh..(means the chicken flesh will be black or brown instead of white)

Sarah!
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, did you put something below the chicken inside the tray to raise it up?
When I roast chicken I find that I can't get the browning even.

Also, my oven has 4 levels (to put the metal rack) and the heating element is at the bottom. Where do we normally put the rack whether in baking or roasting? Nearer to the heating element or in the middle of the oven?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah! wrote:

Also, my oven has 4 levels (to put the metal rack) and the heating element is at the bottom. Where do we normally put the rack whether in baking or roasting? Nearer to the heating element or in the middle of the oven?

Sarah

I don't usually put anything below the chicken if its sits on the wire rack or even a tray. But if you want, just put 2 pieces of Cinnamon stick on the tray, rest the chicken on the cinnamon sticks to raise it.

for your big oven, I suggest the middle of the oven. For mine, the heating is below(not very strong) and the grilling/roasting is at the top(very hot). So I put my meats at the lowest rack of the oven.

sy
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jen & Gina. Will definitely give the roast poultry a try, it's time to grow up from wings and fillets and chops Smile.

Just to share on redmeat, I really think its the meat we have over here. I love beef steaks, and I lived in the US for a while, and the steaks there are really idiot-proof. I just go to SAFEWAY (or any supermart) buy a steak (which comes with cooking instructions based on the thickness of the cut) and pan-fry it at home. Marinate with salt and pepper, pan-fry few mins one side, then the other, it always turns out yummy. No tenderisng needed (chemical or manual). Roasting and grilling are just as easy. But when I got back home, and all I could get my hands on were Austrailian beef, it never happened again. I mean stir-fry strips are still alright, but no way with steaks, not with my cooking skills. US beef used to be available from Daimaru, but now I think they've completely banned it :(
Jennifer
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah! wrote:

Sarah,

I use this rack from this roast pan(this pan was too big for my oven) with my own oven roast pan to grill/roast the chicken,
http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2029.
Sarah!
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina and Jennifer for the replies Smile
CJD
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Can you please post this recipe again. Would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Kate
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina

The method on braising the chicken for this link is no longer valid / removed. Could you post it up again?

http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=223

Cheers
Kate
lil
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Recipe Reply with quote

Hi G,

Can send me the recipe? Want to dtry to do a Roast Chicken.

Thanks
Lil
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I have already loaded the recipe..but forgot to update this topic..click on the link above again.

yummy

lil
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dear
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Poultry All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: