Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Changing Colour of Frosting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halimah
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Changing Colour of Frosting Reply with quote

Hi peeps,

How do you get really black frosting for cupcakes? I tried by adding cocoa powder to the cream and after whipping, I added Wilton's black colour. But the closest I got to was a dark grey and not black at all. I used the entire bottle and ended up with a bitterish after taste! I let it sit in the fridge overnight but the colour did not darken much.

Also, I have the same problem with red. I tried adding christmas red to my white frosting and all I got was a dark pink. :(

Any ideas how to get the vibrant red and jet black colours?

Thanks in advance!
________
Acura RL

Last edited by Halimah on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Halimah, are you using buttercream frosting? You could use wilton's No Taste Red to make a base first, then add Xmas Red. There will not be any bitter taste. As for black, I use dark chocolate ganache then add black. Usually works fine, don't have to use the whole bottle.

All That Matters
Lileeng
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact same 2 questions I am dying to have an answer for! I did the same as Halimah, that is use choc base with whipped cream, then add black and nearest was the dark grey! And same like her, also got a dark pink [as can be seen in my lady bug cake!] ... sad

Wish there was a simpler way to get the right shade without compromising on the taste. Any expert advice is much appreciated.

BTW, Rei, great mahjong tiles on your latest Mahjong cupcakes! Did you use the mould bought from Gina? I am dying to do something like you did but don't know how to! Mind if I PM you and u guide me how to get your effect? island
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lileeng wrote:
The exact same 2 questions I am dying to have an answer for! I did the same as Halimah, that is use choc base with whipped cream, then add black and nearest was the dark grey! And same like her, also got a dark pink [as can be seen in my lady bug cake!] ... sad

Wish there was a simpler way to get the right shade without compromising on the taste. Any expert advice is much appreciated.

BTW, Rei, great mahjong tiles on your latest Mahjong cupcakes! Did you use the mould bought from Gina? I am dying to do something like you did but don't know how to! Mind if I PM you and u guide me how to get your effect? island

Hi Lileeng, I was tempted to buy from Gina, coz it's a shortcut. But due to cost factor, I gave up the idea and drew them by hand. No tricks, just observe closely and do it steadily with each stroke.

All That Matters
Lileeng
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Reirei, I am very impressed! Good job ... wish I can be half as good! cheers
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rei

you really have a steady hand. I am lazy, so far I tried the chinese chess set mould. its very easy to use. then just use a fine tip brush to paint the the chinese characters.

one fine day, when I find time, I hope to do one with the mahjong. see stars

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Halimah
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reirei for teh info.

For the red I did start with the no taste red and added the Christmas red (I think its called Noel Red or something rite) Still a very dark pink!

For the black I just used coca powder in the cream and whipped it before adding the black. Next time will try with ganche.

I just find it quite scary that we have to use so much colouring to get the desired effect!

see stars
________
3/15

Last edited by Halimah on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
rei

you really have a steady hand.

Probably because I seldom eat chicken feet? Mr. Green

All That Matters
Angel71
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halimah, i used to have the same problem like you - getting the perfect black and red frosting. but have now learnt the trick. for black frosting, start off first with brown. make a very dark brown and than add black. to red, start off first with pink and make the pink as dark as possible and than add red. leave them aside overnite - they usually will change.
but remember black and red equals to black/red tongue and awful tasting frosting.
hope this helps.
coolcookie
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Halimah,

I only experience I had was black royal icing. I used the gel colouring from Sun Lik... I didn't have to add an incredible amount to get to black out totally.

[img]
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4uHgBlseQRc/SQC_0GbWFOI/AAAAAAAAAyM/LsvbAo-aDGo/s400/cookie_bat.JPG
[/img]

The brand is Chef Master.

I am not sure if it's the brand... most of my classmate in the cookie boutique class had problem getting red and black using Wilton but I had no problem.
nora
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolcookie wrote:
I am not sure if it's the brand... most of my classmate in the cookie boutique class had problem getting red and black using Wilton but I had no problem.

coolcookie

Can you share with me the name of you cookie botique class? grin
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel71 wrote:
halimah, i used to have the same problem like you - getting the perfect black and red frosting. but have now learnt the trick. for black frosting, start off first with brown. make a very dark brown and than add black. to red, start off first with pink and make the pink as dark as possible and than add red. leave them aside overnite - they usually will change.
but remember black and red equals to black/red tongue and awful tasting frosting.
hope this helps.

HI, if you use no taste red as base, you will not get awful tasting frosting. Similarly, if you use chocolate ganache and add black colouring, you minimise the amount of colour used. Thus it will not affect the taste at all. HTH

All That Matters
coolcookie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nora,

I attended the Wilton CookieBouquet class at BIY. You are interested?
You can check it out here: http://happycup.blogspot.com/2008/09/floral-cookie-bouquet.html

Cheers.
coolcookie
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reirei wrote:
Angel71 wrote:
hope this helps.

HI, if you use no taste red as base, you will not get awful tasting frosting. Similarly, if you use chocolate ganache and add black colouring, you minimise the amount of colour used. Thus it will not affect the taste at all. HTH

Hi Rei,

Can I check if we are making black fondant - how do we do it? Add melted chocolate or cocoa powder?

Thanks...
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coolcookie, i added cocoa powder to the melted marshmallow before adding the icing sugar. Method taken from here http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-marshmallow-fondant

All That Matters
nora
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi coolcookie

Thanks for the quick reply. island
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the suggestion! It is very helpful Smile
________
no2 review
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101 All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: