Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
MY TAKE ON RED VELVET CAKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Muffins & Cupcakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefanie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: MY TAKE ON RED VELVET CAKE Reply with quote

Hi all, decided to create this recipe after sampling a version made by my friend. Through no fault of hers, the cake did not taste good to me at all.
She followed the recipe exactly to bake this tradtional South American classic--- the cake itself was dry and tasteless but the cream cheese icing was way too sweet!
Hardly any flavour appears because besides the addition of 1 to 2 tsp of cocoa, there is no other significant flavour present.

In my kitchen, I decided to use one of my favourite ingredients for adding dimension to cakes: golden syrup.
Its sweet,slightly savoury flavour upped the fragrance and the taste of the cake!
Next, I decided to add some dark chocolate buttons which you are perfectly welcome not to add, you may substitute it with equivalent weight of chopped,toasted pecans, or a half quantity of each ingredient.

But personally, I think the dark chocolate compliments the golden syrup in the cake, and the cream cheese frosting perfectly.
Freeze the chocolate buttons otherwise they will sink to the bottom and not be suspended in the batter
Lastly, please stick to powdered food colouring and not liquid,as the liquid cochineal gives you shockingly pink cupcakes that looks as if you blended highlighter ink in!

Take note that this is not a traditional version---it is merely my interpretation of a classic.
Enjoy!

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup golden syrup
110g softened butter
110g corn oil
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 to 2 tsp powdered red food coloring (you might not need all)
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (OR 1 cup of milk mix with 1 tbsp lemon juice, do this one hour before)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 bag Van Houten Dark Chocolate Buttons, frozen
OR equivalent of chopped toasted pecans OR half quantity of each

FROSTING:
250g very soft cream cheese
2 tbsp softened butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/2 to 1 cup of golden/normal icing sugar

*if you are not using vanilla bean paste, just add 1 tsp extract

HOW:
Preheat oven to 180C.
In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then golden syrup, oil and mix well after each addition.
Sift cocoa and 1 tsp food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well.
Sift together flour,baking soda,baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in till smooth. If it is not red enough, add more red colouring bit by bit.
The mixture should be an appetising dark red colour, and look slightly thick and glossy. Stir in chocolate buttons.

Divide into 5.5cm cupcake cases,bake for 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.

Cool completely. While waiting for it to cool,beat cream cheese,butter,sugar and vanilla bean paste and extract till smooth and creamy. Taste for sweetness then frost cooled cupcakes.

Makes 30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Muffins & Cupcakes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: