Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Black Glutinous Rice Wine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Black Glutinous Rice Wine Reply with quote

note that I have used a small pot to do this. You can use any claypot or glass jar that has a cover. The longer you leave it aside, the richer the flavour. For the photos below, its something I have tested and tried and was too eager to try. by 7 days, I have harvested it and it was very sweet.

And I tried it again but leaving it to ferment for 30 days. the sweetness is milder but very rich. More refined. My 2 girls loved the fragrance and the flavour.

of all the home made wines I have tried and tested, this is one of the best and the ones all of us would drink straight from the cup!

supermarket sells this 200g per pack

After 72 hours or 3 days, you will see black wine.

After 30 days, you will get a nice rich wine.

Ingredients
1 kg black glutinous rice
1 pc wine yeast

Method
1. wash and clean rice and cook it in a rice cooker. Using sufficient water(as per rice cooker requirements)
2. Leave it aside to cool completely before using. At least for 8 hours, if not longer.
3. Break and pound wine yeast till powdery and mix it with the rice.
4. Put it in a glass jar and cover with a dry towel and tighten it with a cover.
5. Leave it aside for 30 days.
6. Sieve and drain wine. Rice to be discarded as black rice are very hard, firm.

The wine should be a dark red like our regular grape wine colour. Its smells like the asian dessert : Pulut Hitam. the taste is very unique, its sweet and the flavour of pulut hitam is very strong.

My hubby and my girls loved to drink it straight. It tastes even better when its chilled(from the fridge)

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
florissa
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina, would this recipe result in the Sweet Black Vinegar that can be used to make Black Vinegar Pig Trotters? Been searching high and low for a recipe to for that.
________
Honda CB500 twin

Last edited by florissa on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no..its not vinegar as in sour in taste. Its more sweet like wine. yummy

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: