Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Tiramisu (recipe & pics)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sponge & Chiffon Cakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

i made this cake (half recipe) last week for cny. The taste was good but it would be perfect if not for the following:
1) lady fingers layer a bit dry, not the soggy type i ate at some restaurants. is it supposed to be wet or dry? i used the lady figures bought from cold storage (brand name starts with "C") it is not very wide but i couldn't find a wider one....
2) cake not tall. not sure if it is because of qty of cream. i need about 220g but the President brand cream comes in 200g.
3) melted chocolate. i bought the Hershey baking chocolate bar from Sun Lik. It was my first time melting chocolate but i did not encounter any problem during the process of melting. but the chocolate started to curdle once i added into the liquid mixture. so i have bits of chocolate "swimming" in the liquid. i actually made another batch but the same thing happen. i went ahead to use it as i was running out of time that day. what went wrong? didn't want to get the chocolate syrup as i know it would turn into a white elephant....
thks v much for any advices...
regards
singapore gal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Octopusmom,

This is what I think went wrong:
1. the ladyfingers were dry most likely because there wasn't enough liquid in them.
2. the height of the cake will also depend on the size of your container, to get a taller cake, use a smaller container
3. I use chocolate pieces instead and add all the liquid to it and then microwave, this way everything heats up at the same time and won't have the curdling effect.

I hope this help.
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SingaporeGal

tks v much for your reply...i really enjoy making this cake except for the clinches mentioned, have been planning to make another attempt real soon so your reply really helps!
for melting the chocolate, i read from several websites that the chocolate must not come into contact with moisture such as steam during the melting process or it will seize. is it okay to mix with liquid? i always have the impression that the chocolate must stay dry...

thks
singapore gal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Octopusmom,

You might be right but we have so little chocolate here so I don't think it should be a problem.

Why not try experimenting (minus the liquor). Just try a little chocolate pieces with milk and microwave. Microwave for about 20-30secs on high, then remove and stir. If there are still lumps, do another 10-15 secs. Do not over microwave it.

-SG
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Singaporegal

thks v much for your advice...

i was so tempted to buy a pack of ladyfingers from the supermarket today to try out the recipe again but was held back because of the chocolate "problem". will try your method and see if it works.

regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sponge & Chiffon Cakes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: