Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:01 pm Post subject: Special Yam Rice with Yam Fries(rec n pic)
|I cooked this today, redo the recipe I learnt from the late Chef Willie who used to work at Goshen Restaurant. Mainly because Benny wanted meat in the rice and using the salted yolks I bought from my store.
I also made yam fries as a topping for the rice..yums!
Serves 10 persons
6 cups jasmine rice(washed, drained)
4 pcs chinese sausages (diced)
2 cans of button mushrooms, diced, water set aside
100g pork lard*
150g dried shrimps(coarsely ground)
3 tbsp sugar
10 pcs salted egg yolks
6 pcs small red onions, sliced
1kg Thai yam
1. Peel yam and diced 500g. Sliced the remaining into long thin strips.
2. Deep fry diced yam in hot oil till dry and firm(takes about 20 mins)
3. Drain and set aside.
4. Next put in the yam strips to deep fry till dry and crispy(20 mins)
5. Drain and set aside.
6. Keep the oil and heat up the wok again and add pork lard to cook.
7. Cook till pork lard becames dry and hard, dish out the pork lard.
8. Add dried shrimps(coarsely ground) and fry till its dry.
9. Add sausages, cooked pork lard, onions and diced yam, mushroom to fry over high heat for 3 to 4 mins.
10. Lastly add washed rice and stir fry to cook evenly. Add sugar at this stage.
11. Turn off fire and scoop out contents into the rice cooker. Pour in mushroom water and more water to cook the rice. Place all the salted yolks on top.
12. Cover and cook in a rice cooker till done.
13. Toss up and serve with Yam fries on top!
Pork Lard : Omit this or replace with regular cooking oil.
But personally, if you can take pork lard, go for this. Really makes the difference in taste and flavour.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1