Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Marble Chiffon Cake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sponge & Chiffon Cakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Marble Chiffon Cake Reply with quote

Old pic's......

Marble Chiffon Cake

6 large egg yolks
85 ml water
60 ml corn oil
2 tbsp condenced milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Zest from a large Orange,finely chopped
150 gm Superfine flour,sieve with 2 tsp doulbe action baking powder
180 gm castor sugar,divide into half
6 large egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Chocolate paste mix: 1 1/2 tsp coco powder (sieve)
1/2 tsp Chocolate Paste/Emulco
3 or 2 1/2 tsp or enough Milk to mix the mixture into a smooth paste.

Preheat oven to 180'c.
Mix togerther superfine flour,egg yolks,water,condenced milk,
vanilla essence,corn oil,half of the castor sugar and orange zest till a smooth mixture.
Whisk egg whites,cream of tartar and half of the remaining
sugar till stiff.
Fold the flour mixture to the egg white mixture and mix slowly with a spatula or hand till well blended.(carefull not to over mix !!!)
Spoon 1/3 of the mixture into a bowl and add in the Chocolate mix paste and mix till blended.
Arrange plain and chocolate batter into an ungreased 21 cm chiifon cake pan.
Bake in a preheated oven for about 35 or 40 minutes or till cook.
When cooked turn the pan upside down and leave to cool.
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way you do your marbleing Very Happy Very Happy How did you do that????
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PutuPiring wrote:
I love the way you do your marbleing Very Happy Very Happy How did you do that????

:lol: i just spoon the mixture layer by layer (thick plain layers and thin brown layers)begin with the plain one and ended with the plain too.....but sometime if i am in the hurry the marble effect didnt turn out good and today i am just lucky :lol:

by the way this is a large cake island actually i wanted to make the coloured pokka-dot chiffon cake or the rainbow chiffon cake but those take lots of times to prepare so i just whisk this marble chiffon up.....
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralion, that's a very very beautiful and fluffy chiffon coffee
mei
lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dralion,

Your cake is very lovely. Can i substitute normal baking powder for ur cake? Pls advice.
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mei wrote:
Hi Dralion,

Your cake is very lovely. Can i substitute normal baking powder for ur cake? Pls advice.

yes you can,you will need 4 tsp(level) normal baking powder Wink
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dralion,

can I substitute condense milk with something else :roll:.

Is 1/2 tsp chocolate paste something like those pandan paste that comes in a bottle :roll: . Thanks.
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner wrote:
Hi Dralion,

can I substitute condense milk with something else :roll:.

Is 1/2 tsp chocolate paste something like those pandan paste that comes in a bottle :roll: . Thanks.

the condense milk give more flavour to the cake (can be omit too) but normal milk wil do...Chocolate paste can be substitue with 1/2 tsp of instant coffee (nescafe),the Choclate Paste/Emulco normally sell in a small bottle... :roll:
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Dralion. Smile
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralion wrote:
PutuPiring wrote:

:lol: i just spoon the mixture layer by layer (thick plain layers and thin brown layers)begin with the plain one and ended with the plain too.....but sometime if i am in the hurry the marble effect didnt turn out good and today i am just lucky :lol:

by the way this is a large cake island actually i wanted to make the coloured pokka-dot chiffon cake or the rainbow chiffon cake but those take lots of times to prepare so i just whisk this marble chiffon up.....

Thanks Dralion. doesnt sound too difficult on paper but you do it so beautifully Very Happy Very Happy
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralion,

For this cake, I had to substitute (not by choice) a few ingredients. Had to use plain flour, normal baking powder (same qty), canola oil and mocha paste (bought that by mistake) and omitted condense milk.

Halfway through whipping the egg white, realised the cream of tartar was not suppose to be in the egg yolk Embarassed . But it didn't seem to make a difference to my cake. The result was still light, soft and fluffy. Next time I will try baking it in my bigger chiffon pan. Was in a bit of a hurry, so marbling not too good. :(

This was the first time hubby have ever eaten a chiffon cake. He said it was like eating air. Smile

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Last edited by sinner on Sun May 07, 2006 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmwhat is superfine flour? Dralion what brand u used?
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner wrote:

Dralion,

For this cake, I had to substitute (not by choice) a few ingredients. Had to use plain flour, normal baking powder (same qty), canola oil and mocha paste (bought that by mistake) and omitted condense milk.

Halfway through whipping the egg white, realised the cream of tartar was not suppose to be in the egg yolk Embarassed . But it didn't seem to make a difference to my cake. The result was still light, soft and fluffy. Next time I will try baking it in my bigger chiffon pan. Was in a bit of a hurry, so marbling not too good. :(

This was the first time hubby have ever eaten a chiffon cake. He said it was like eating air. Smile

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

why the chiffon cake is not so high :roll: ??
i suggest next time used Superfine flour or Cake flour for a very fine and soft cake texture ! that goes the same with the Double action baking powder too :lol:
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlskrona wrote:
hmmmwhat is superfine flour? Dralion what brand u used?

if you cant find superfine flour can also use Cake flour or Low protien flour.....the end result after baked is the same ! Wink
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralion wrote:
i suggest next time used Superfine flour or Cake flour for a very fine and soft cake texture ! that goes the same with the Double action baking powder too :lol:

Dralion,

from your pic, I believe you have a very high chiffon pan . The sides of my cake have reached the top of my pan (I was so afraid it would spill over during baking that I actually had a baking tray underneath, just in case), the middle continued to rise as the tube in the middle was higher than the side (nothing at the side to cling on to enable it to rise further). You might notice the cake is not flat but is higher in the middle. That's why, I will have to use my other bigger chiffon pan the next time I bake this.

As for why I did not use superfine or cake flour, it is not easy to get any of those in Auckland. As for double action baking powder, unless I want to buy 5 kg tins, I can't get it either. Hence, I make the best of what I can get here (else I will never be able to try anything), sacrificing some 'quality' in the process but I am happy with the result Smile .
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner wrote:
Dralion wrote:

Dralion,

from your pic, I believe you have a very high chiffon pan . The sides of my cake have reached the top of my pan (I was so afraid it would spill over during baking that I actually had a baking tray underneath, just in case), the middle continued to rise as the tube in the middle was higher than the side (nothing at the side to cling on to enable it to rise further). You might notice the cake is not flat but is higher in the middle. That's why, I will have to use my other bigger chiffon pan the next time I bake this.

As for why I did not use superfine or cake flour, it is not easy to get any of those in Auckland. As for double action baking powder, unless I want to buy 5 kg tins, I can't get it either. Hence, I make the best of what I can get here (else I will never be able to try anything), sacrificing some 'quality' in the process but I am happy with the result Smile .

to be very honest i have the same problem with baking ingredients here too,lucky now days the chinese shop here carried some baking ingredients still not all though.... :cry:
I totally understand how you feel Wink ,
as for the chiffon cake pan did you used the 21 cm as the recipe called for ? by the way your chiffon cake did look real good Wink
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. My chiffon pan is 21cm measured from the top and 9cm high. By the time, I finished scooping the mix in, I couldn't really take it out, just had to hope for the best and hoped it behaved in the oven Smile

Yes it can be so frustrating trying to get ingredients :twisted:

I don't want to intrude on your privacy but kpo here to ask which part of the rainbow you are at :roll:
Dralion
lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner wrote:
Thank you. My chiffon pan is 21cm measured from the top and 9cm high. By the time, I finished scooping the mix in, I couldn't really take it out, just had to hope for the best and hoped it behaved in the oven Smile

Yes it can be so frustrating trying to get ingredients :twisted:

I don't want to intrude on your privacy but kpo here to ask which part of the rainbow you are at :roll:

21 cm chiffon cake pan is for 6 eggs chiffon cake,so your chiffon cake should not over rise from the pan,it just rise fully nice till the top but will not over fload.....
Most of my baking ingredients that i used here is send by friends from Sg or buy via online....
I am in NL
honey_bun
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made this last night. was very good. replaced chocolate emulco with strawberry paste. will make again.
honey_bun
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hai,

couldn't get enough of it, so made it again last night. this time i replace chocolate emulco with peppermint paste. really taste nicer than using strawberry paste. definitely a keeper!
Meng
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made this cake last night. Very fluffy, nice and tall.
Thank you very much for the recipe. Steps easy to follow. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sponge & Chiffon Cakes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: