Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Using Chocolate Transfer Sheets on Fondant(step by step)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Using Chocolate Transfer Sheets on Fondant(step by step) Reply with quote

I am doing this for 2 reasons..one to show off, one to sell the transfer sheets I have brought in from France..

This method was taught to me by Chef Stephen Benison(UK, Sugar Artist). I sell alot of his sugarcraft tools in my store. His original method was to use an Electric Iron. Read my own notes below why I found this not so easy to do with an iron.

What you need:
1 pc of Chocolate Transfer sheet
1 pastry mat(silicone)
Fondant
Table Cloth : 2 pcs
Boiling hot water
Rolling pin

Method:
1. Roll out fondant on the pastry mat. Making sure its even, flat and the desired thickness you want(for your cupcake, cookie or whole cake)

2. Place the chocolate transfer sheet on the fondant. The printed part sits on top of the fondant.

3. Soak towel in boiling hot water..then wipe it on the transfer sheet.

4. Use another cloth to pick up the droplets of water left behind. To prevent the water flowing towards the fondant.

5. Repeat step 3 and 4 until the hot water turns warm or cooled. About 3 to 4 times..

6. Peel away the plastic sheet to reveal your 'work of art'.

7. Cut out desired shapes/sizes for your cupcakes or lift it up to cover your whole cakes.

Important Notes
With Electric Iron
You have to do a couple of trial runs to test the temperature thus spoils, waste a few areas.

An iron is too hot on the touch and will burn and crinkle the plastic sheet and may damage your iron too.

Although it does work, as Stephen says it does and I did try it once just to show it does..it takes much practice, trial and error to get it done properly.

The inspiration came from him and I am indebted to his inspiration. He was most kind and helpful and always reply to me when I ask him things like "why like that ? see stars "

I needed to find a better and easier way to do this..so here's my method. Easier to do too

With Hot Towel
With a hot towel, I find that I could just concentrate on certain areas. Most useful to use this method if the chocolate sheet has prints of a certain design. As in the example I had, its all Double Happiness chinese words.

So waste not..want not!

With a hot towel, chances of failures has reduced. A hot towel is hot towel. You don't have to worry about temperature. If you can scald your hand, it will release the cocoa butter on the plastic sheet to the fondant.

One most important thing to take note is the colour of your fondant.
Choose a colour that matches or highlights the imprints of the transfer sheet.

One of the transfer sheets I use had many chinese words on it..And some are Gold in colour. its lost in the white fondant.

One other important thing is :Once the prints are on the fondant, don't touch it..or the print will catch on your fingers. Leave it to dry before handling it.

Have fun, there are 1001 possibilities you can do with this.Because there are hundreds of fancy prints on this kind of transfer sheets. Of course the usual thing is to use it with chocolates.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
crazybaker
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Thanks for the tutorial, but I do have 1 question:

Will the heat melts the fondant and make it difficult to lift up the fondant for the cake or cookies or cupcakes?

Because I always have the problem of lifting the fondant from the pasty mat with 1 try. Usually, I have to do a few time to lift the fondant perfectly off the pastry mat.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no..it lifts up perfectly. Look at mine..everything perfect.

To use the pastry mat, roll fondant on it, lift it up, flip over, roll again. Think of it like rolling roti prata. If you keep rolling on top without flipping it, it will definitely stick.

the heat is enough to melt the cocoa butter onto the fondant. not to melt it entirely.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101 All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: