Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Watermelon Cookies (Recipe & Pic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Watermelon Cookies (Recipe & Pic) Reply with quote

These are what I made in mid Nov last year. Recipe taken from New Year Cookies.

Although the name is Watermelon Cookies, the ingredients do not involve watermelon at all. Great for kids (both big and small)! grin

Cookies before bake...

and after bake...

Ingredients
A
200g butter
100g icing sugar

B
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

C
300g plain flour
100g Hoen Kwe flour (white colour)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

D
Dash of red colouring
Dash of green colouring
Some black sesame seeds

Method
1. Beat ingredients A in a mixer until fluffy. Add in ingredient B and mix well. Fold in ingredient C and stir to form a dough.
2. Divide (1) into three equal parts. Leave one part uncoloured, one part coloured green, one part coloured red.
3. Scale each dough to 9g per portion. Shape red portion into rounds, flatten a natural uncoloured portion and wrap around red portion. Next, flatten a green portion and wrapped around uncoloured part. Repeat process with remaining ingredients. Wrap loosely in a plastic bag. Keep chilled till cookies are firm.
4. Slice each ball of cookie into six. Insert some black sesame seeds in to resemble watermelon seeds. Place cookies in paper cups and leave them on lined baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degC for 15-20 minutes. Cool well.
small cookie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are soooooo cute!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on sale 1 year ago during Deepavali(pasar malam) at Little India..they even had strawberry shapes. At first I thought it was jelly-gummy. Then the lady told me its butter cookies but coloured with food colouring.

so pretty and cute!!

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
nora
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwf

I saw the cookies during the Hari Raya bazaar last year. Thank you for the recipe. Shall try it one of these days. Smile
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kwf

I tried this last night, but half the recipe. Wow, it's a real challenge trying to make the balls (step 3). Did you put the dough into the fridge for a while before moulding? I've left the "whole melon" in the fridge as there was not enough time to bake last night. I shall cut bake them tonight. Also resting in the fridge are the rainbow cookies (from the same book). Wonder how they would taste Very Happy

Adeline
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuribake wrote:
Hi kwf

I tried this last night, but half the recipe. Wow, it's a real challenge trying to make the balls (step 3). Did you put the dough into the fridge for a while before moulding? I've left the "whole melon" in the fridge as there was not enough time to bake last night. I shall cut bake them tonight. Also resting in the fridge are the rainbow cookies (from the same book). Wonder how they would taste Very Happy

Adeline

LOL...I know what you mean. I was also struggling with the 3 colour dough. The trick to do this is, you put all the dough in the fridge. Wait till they've hardened, then just take 1 or 2 out at a time to cut and put into the little cups. When done, then take another 1 or 2 out from the fridge again. If you bring everything out at one go, high chance is the dough will get soft again. Do take care not to overbake your cookies or the colour will not be bright. When they're just cooked, can remove them on the oven and let them rest on the baking tray for a while before cooling them on wire rack.
cookingmonster
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOOOOoooooooooooooooooo CUTE!!!! loving u
yuribake
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwf wrote:

LOL...I know what you mean. I was also struggling with the 3 colour dough. The trick to do this is, you put all the dough in the fridge. Wait till they've hardened, then just take 1 or 2 out at a time to cut and put into the little cups. When done, then take another 1 or 2 out from the fridge again. If you bring everything out at one go, high chance is the dough will get soft again. Do take care not to overbake your cookies or the colour will not be bright. When they're just cooked, can remove them on the oven and let them rest on the baking tray for a while before cooling them on wire rack.

Thanks for the tip kwf, I will definitely watch out during baking tonight. Hopefully there will be nice pix to show. Oh btw, I ran out of natural coloured dough, now left with green and red dough, may be I'll do pinwheel with the rest lol
JoyofBakinn
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just baked the super cute watermelon cookies...thanks so much for the recipe and very useful tips...though time consuming wrapping the watermelon...I had so much fun moulding and cutting the watermelon slices and baking it Smile
[/img]
bktan02
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so cute! Can share how is the taste? Cripsy or soft type of cookies? Thanks!
JoyofBakinn
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the taste is like butter cookies and its very 'airy'...very nice! Smile
elaine9499
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so cute! will try to make it for CNY cookie. Smile
elaine9499
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, what is 100g Hoen Kwe flour?? can i use all top flour ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: