Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Braised Dried Black Mushroom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Vegetables with Meat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Braised Dried Black Mushroom Reply with quote

It is going to be my first time cooking the above traditional CNY dish which I have eaten since young, cooked by my beloved late father. My dad passed on last Oct & my mum is away. Before my mum left for her trip, she gave me an idea how my dad used to cook this dish but I have some queries. Can someone please help me with the following questions:

1. I intend to cook 300 gm of dried mushrooms, how many dried scallops (I have the 170 gm jap type) should I put into this dish?

2. If I cook early morning of 1st day of CNY, I would need to start soaking & washing the mushrooms tomorrow. Can I leave the washed & cleaned mushroom outside overnite (not kept in the fridge) or should I keep inside the fridge until early 1st day of CNY?

Thank you in advance for your help.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Braised Dried Black Mushroom Reply with quote

devoted mum wrote:

1. I intend to cook 300 gm of dried mushrooms, how many dried scallops (I have the 170 gm jap type) should I put into this dish?

2. If I cook early morning of 1st day of CNY, I would need to start soaking & washing the mushrooms tomorrow. Can I leave the washed & cleaned mushroom outside overnite (not kept in the fridge) or should I keep inside the fridge until early 1st day of CNY?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sorry about your dad. I guess when you eat this dish this year, you and your family will be reminded of him too. love u

Here's my answers to your questions:

1. Are u sure its 300g of mushrooms? Its a giant bag! Do you mean 300g of already soaked mushrooms? Coz if its still dried..its about 80 mushrooms! Cheeky grin

In any case, its about 8 to 10 dried scallops to use per 200g of soaked mushrooms.

2. You can leave the mushrooms soaked in water overnight. Do not throw away the water. It can be used for cooking mushroom stock. U may need to sieve out any dirt particles from the blackened water.

what I would do is to use a large pot, add water and leave the mushrooms in it to soak overnight. the next day I would wash and clean the mushrooms.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, thank you so much for your great help. Yes, it's 300 gm of dried mushrooms as this dish can be eaten over a few days & I intend to give to my mum & in-laws as well. Hope it turns out well, the way dad used to cook it. I will add ginger juice, oyster sauce, dried oysters & fatt choy too, along with a little chicken fats (as much as I am reluctant to add in the chicken fat, I was told it is all important).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, I have to give credit to you for your expertise! You are indeed sifu! As much as I would like to cook all 300 gm of dried mushrooms, the amount is too much even for my rather large slow cooker. I found out when I pour all 300 gm of unsoaked dried mushroom in the slow cooker to do a rough estimation. I decided to soak 200 gm of dried mushrooms instead.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devoted mum

our whole family loves mushrooms. Its something I cook often. So I know how much is 300g soaked or unsoaked.

Chicken fat is a must to flavour and to make the dish more fragrant. Since this is eaten once a year for auspicious reasons, just add chicken fat. On regular days, I just use onion oil.

I prefer to use a giant claypot to cook this by frying it with onion oil, ginger then the mushrooms..till its fragrant. Then throw everything into the slow cooker.

yummy

devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year Gina. I am so excited to update that the braised mushroom is a huge success! I very greedy leh, in the end, I did all 300 gm of dried mushrooms. I brought a pot for dinner with in-laws last night & everyone gave it two thumbs up. Hubby said it is almost as good as dad's. I just can't wait for mum to return from her trip on Sunday to try it. Can you advise if I may leave mum's portion in the fridge or or should I leave in the freezer till Sunday?
Foodz
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind to share the recipe? I know what goes into the dish after reading this thread but I wld like to know the exact amt of each ingredient and how long to simmer in the slow cooker.

Thanks!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi devoted mum

Happy New year to you too! Smile glad to hear that your braised mushrooms were a success! if you are going to keep for so long, its best to put in the freezer. unless your fridge is very cold. yummy

devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foodz wrote:
Mind to share the recipe? I know what goes into the dish after reading this thread but I wld like to know the exact amt of each ingredient and how long to simmer in the slow cooker.

Thanks!

Foodz, my version is as follows:

Ingrdients:

- 300 gm of dried black mushrooms
- 25 big dried oysters (buy the korean type)
- 13 dried scallops (I use the 170 gm japanese type)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons of ginger juice (I grated it & press out the juice)
- 2 tablespoons of chicken fats (I got the chicken fats from my regular chicken seller. Heat up the wok & just fry out the chicken oil)
- half a big packet of fatt choy (hair-like seaweed)

(for the ginger juice & chicken fats, I had no idea how much to put, I just went with my feel)

Method

1 day before you cook the mushrooms, soak the mushrooms for 5 minutes & drain out water. Use your hand to roughly scrub the mushrooms along the way. (I did 2 rounds of this) then I soak for 4 hours. *This time round, squeeze out the water from the mushrooms & leave the mushrooms in a big metal baking bowl. Keep the water - throw away the last part that has lots of dirt particles*. Then soak again overnight & repeat steps as above *This time round .............. lots of dirt particles*.

On the day of cooking mushrooms - you may choose to cook at night & leave in slow cooker overnight or like what I did on 1st day of CNY, I cooked early morning at 5+am & it was ready for dinner.

- fry the mushrooms which has been squeezed dry in some oil (onion oil like gina or in my case no onion oil, just corn oil) for a few minutes, turning & tossing the mushrooms at the same time. Then add in the ginger juice & fry for a few more minutes.

- add in the mushroom water, dried scallops & dried oysters & let it boil - large fire at first then medium fire for 30 minutes then transfer to slow cooker - on to high

- 10, 12, 14 hours later, add in the fatt choy, oyster sauce (amount up to your taste) then the chicken oil, stir & let it cook in the slow cooker for another 1 hour.

- Before you serve, you may wash some chinese lettuce & put at the base & side of the serving bowl, scope the mushrooms over & serve piping hot.

As it was my first attempt, I believe there is room for improvements or some steps could be cut or changed, feel free to alter any steps as you deem fit.

Hope you'll enjoy this as much!
Foodz
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoted mum, thanks for your generosity in sharing. I will copy this recipe and try out one of these days. =)
Alannia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi devoted mom, Gina,

Is it possible to use duck fat instead of chicken fat? Will it be the same? I don't have chicken fat, only duck fat.

Thanks.
Carolyn
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's CNY again. Would like to try this dish, quick questions:

1) How to get chicken fat? do you mean skin?
2) Can I use the Japanese mushroom? (the type sold at New Year stall @ Chinatown Temple Street)
divineparadise
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping up this dish! Its cooking on my stove now! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Vegetables with Meat All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: