Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Minced Chicken Balls Porridge(recipe by Gina)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Rice & Noodles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Minced Chicken Balls Porridge(recipe by Gina) Reply with quote

This has been on my mind for a while... what is the difference between porridge and congee?

I love a good bowl of chicken porridge - when I was in Singapore, I had some at a Chinese-Muslim stall in Bedok. It was really white and creamy, with generous chunks of chicken in it. It also had a nice topping - a mixture of fried shallots and some other delicious concoctions of I do not know what with some brown sauce (soya sauce?). How do they make the porridge so flavourful and WHITE? I tried making some and it turned out slighty yellowish (possibly because of the chicken stock cube?)... and how do you make that topping?

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it... I've almost given up on this! hehe...
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirin,

a quick answer to making porridge..here's the link:

http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27

where I shared a recipe of the Century Egg Porridge. Basically, the way to cook it is the same. The only difference is what you want to put inside your porridge.

Porridge, to me, is soften rice. Congee, to me is creamy, watery rice.

The black sauce is actually light soya sauce. As Dark Soya sauce is often thick and sweet.

Here's what I would do for a good chicken porridge

Ingredients:
300 ml thick chicken stock(boiled from chicken bones)
1 cup rice(or cooked rice**)
1 litre water
300 g minced chicken fillet
1 egg yolk
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
100 g chopped fresh spring onions
200 g toasted onions

Method:
1. in a mixing bowl, add minced chicken, egg yolk, pepper, Fish sauce, sugar to mix evenly.
2. add cornstarch to the chicken minced to mix again.
3. In a large pot, add water to boil, then add chicken stock.
4. When it is boiling, add rice and simmer for 20 mins on medium heat(partially cover the pot)
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Minutes before serving, scoop 1 tsp of chicken mince into boiling porridge.
7. Serve hot and garnish with spring onions, toated onions, pepper.

**notes:
quick and easy way to cut down porridge cooking is to use previously cooked rice. If you use raw rice grains, you need to watch the porridge during the long cooking process to ensure that the water does not dry up too soon.

I am very health-conscious..the chicken stock cube is laced with lots of MSG and SALT. very unhealthy and bad for people with hypertension.

Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that clears it up! Thanks for this Gina... It does look very nutritious and healthy! I agree with you about the chicken stock cube - I buy the MSG free type but even then, it is better not to use it.
Sydnie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicken Porridge? Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
This has been on my mind for a while... what is the difference between porridge and congee?

I love a good bowl of chicken porridge - when I was in Singapore, I had some at a Chinese-Muslim stall in Bedok. It was really white and creamy, with generous chunks of chicken in it. It also had a nice topping - a mixture of fried shallots and some other delicious concoctions of I do not know what with some brown sauce (soya sauce?). How do they make the porridge so flavourful and WHITE? I tried making some and it turned out slighty yellowish (possibly because of the chicken stock cube?)... and how do you make that topping?

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it... I've almost given up on this! hehe...

====================
From What I know, Stock can be prepared using chicken or Pork Bones. It may add some rock sugar and Ikan Ibilis to taste even better. As for white and creamy taste , the only way is to add salt and alot of MSG into the porridge to taste better. ( but bad for health)

Hear from others if you want to prepare very smooth porridge. You can grain the rice, add salt and oil and leave overnight before preparation.

There is a stall in Maxwell Hawker selling good Congee named "ZHEN ZHEN ". ANyone know about it?
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sydnie! I'll try graining the rice next time. I think you are right... some places do use a lot of MSG but I can't eat that stuff - gives me a migraine!!
slurp
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen chicken stock (no msg) are available in major supermarket.

anyway, may I know the use of corn starch to the minced chicken?
usually I like my chicken shredded Smile
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slurp wrote:
Frozen chicken stock (no msg) are available in major supermarket.

anyway, may I know the use of corn starch to the minced chicken?
usually I like my chicken shredded Smile

cornstarch is used to make minced chicken or any kind of minced meat to form a lump. and also to contain its seasonings with it.

Gina

slurp
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,
oic .. thanks for your info! Smile
cinderella
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Are you able to share the Century Egg Porridge recipe again? When shall I be adding the century egg? Together with the minced pork or after? Thanks in advance!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should put the chopped century egg after the porridge is cooked..not during the cooking process. or the porridge will turn greyish black..very ugly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Rice & Noodles All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: