Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Pipa Duck Revisited

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Pipa Duck Revisited Reply with quote

I made this recently to honour the day I was inducted into the Culinary Hall of Fame (4 October 2012)

All sliced/chopped up and ready to go!

I call this revisited because I actually had the recipe posted at C2C.net where I first 'met' Chef David Nelson. Then he started a new Culinary website called The Culinary Hall of Fame. So I decided to re-created this dish using the simpliest of ingredients which he can find in their chinatown or Asian supermarkets.
http://www.culinaryhalloffame.com/forum/welcome-mat/1460-kitchen-capers-is-inducted-into-the-chof

It is called the Pipa Duck because it resembles the string instrument (more like Chinese guitar). Traditionally its deep fried ...but to deep fry this big bird, I would need alot of cooking oil so I modified the old recipe I got from a cookbook by having it roasted. Turns out better..the skin is more crispy.

Ingredients:
1 duck(remove neck/head/web feet)

Seasonings:
2 tbsp sea salt
100ml Maltose Syrup (or Honey)

2 tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
300ml water

Method:
1. Cut duck along the chest bone area, flatten it.
2. Boil seasonings in a pot till boiling.
3. Place duck in a deep and large dish.
4. Pour boiling sauce over it.
5. Leave it to soak in the sauce for 5 mins(per side).

6. Use a hook to hang up the duck in an airy place for at least 6 hours.*
* the other way is to fan-blow it for 2 hours. If the day is hot and sunny, it helps a great deal to shorten the timing.

7. Roast the duck in preheated oven 200C for 35 to 40 mins.
8. During roasting, open the oven to baste the duck with the sauce(every 10 mins).

Just out of the oven

9. When done, remove to cool before cutting into smaller pieces.
10. Serve with rice or noodles.

Notes :
Maltose Syrup is often used as a marinate for Chinese Roast Meats. It gives that nice 'sheen' and unique taste. Its also sold on a lollipop stick for kids to eat like candy. In layman terms, its just Malt Sugar.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Poultry All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: