Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 am Post subject: Chai Tou Kueh (rec n pic)
|Modified the old recipe here at KC. By omitting the use of Alkaline water.
This is a slice of Steamed Chai Tou Kueh (Radish Cake)
More slices..but pan fried
1 kg white radish (about 2 whole pieces)
600 g Chinese Rice flour
6 cups hot water
1 tsp salt
300g pork belly, cut into long shreds
100g dried shrimps
100g chinese sweet sausages, sliced
5 pcs of small onions, sliced
1. Shred radish and steam on high heat for 30 mins. Set aside. The radish should look soft. There will be a lot of liquid. Do not discard the liquid.
2. Heat up frying pan with cooking oil and saute onions till soft. Add dried shrimps, sausages, and belly pork to fry over high heat for 3 to 5 minutes till cooked.
3. In a large bowl, add rice flour, water and salt to stir till well mixed. Make sure there are no lumps.
4. Add radish and liquid(from steaming), filling ingredients.
5. Give it a good stir to mix it up.
6. Heat up wok with cooking oil(about 50g), add the batter in to heat (low heat). Stir continously till it dries up.
7. Turn off the stove and pour thick batter into a large shallow dish and steam over high heat for 45 minutes.
8. Once done, leave it to cool completely before cutting.
For a Basic Plain Radish Cake, omit the fillings totally. The methods are the same.
The liquid from steaming the radish is the 'juices' from the radish. It gives it flavour and taste. So do not discard it or replace it with water.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1