Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 pm Post subject: Chwee Kuey (rec n pic)
|This is truly comfort food. Loved to eat, must learn to make.
Rice Flour from our KC Stores
Chai Po(packet from market)
Recipe by Gina Choong
Makes 18 chwee kuey cups
200g rice flour
500g Hot water
500g preserved chopped radish (chai por), washed and drained
100g garlic, chopped
3 tbsp Dark soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
250ml corn oil
1. Heat up frying pan with corn oil and saute the chopped garlic till fragrant. Add preserved chopped radish, and the rest of the ingredients and stir fry for 2 minutes.
2. Transfer to a slow cooker and let it simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours.
The longer you cook in a slow cooker, the better the flavour of the chai po. The oil is alot, but its necessary as it crisp up the chai po.
To make the kuey
1. Sift rice flour in a mixing bowl and add cooled water to stir until there are no lumps in the batter.
2. Pour hot water and stir to mix well.
3. Heat up steamer, brush cups with a little oil.
4. Pour batter into aluminium cups and steam over high heat for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the chwee kueh from the cup and garnish with a spoonful of cooked radish.
Excess cooked chai po can be refreigerated and re-heat by steaming. You can eat it with porridge or toss it with warmed rice.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1