Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 am Post subject: Chendol Kaya Cake(rec n pic)
This cake was done on-the-fly. No recipe I had but trying out the first time. Thank God, it worked. It was a cake I did for Pa, to celebrate his birthday last year 2014. As dad loves Chendol, and Pandan cake and also kaya. So I tried to put these 3 food he loved into this cake.
We do not know what the future lies for Pa, with each day it is a blessing.
Happy Birthday Pa! May you find joy and happiness and laughter in everything you do and have done.
Chendol Kaya Cake
Recipe by Gina Choong
4 egg yolks
80g coconut milk
6 pcs Pandan leaves
40g Sunflower Oil(or any vegetable oil that is flavourless)
100g Cake Flour(I use Taiwan's Blue Jacket Cake Flour)
Egg white from 6 eggs
80g fine sugar
1. Blend pandan leaves with coconut milk, drain and discard leaves.
2. Mix with oil, yolks and stir to combine
3. Add cake flour and fold in till well combined.
4. Set aside. Whip egg whites with sugar in a mixer till soft peaks.
5. Pour in the other batter and continue to whip till it well combined.
6. Pour the batter into flat tray line with baking parchment paper
7. Bake in preheated oven set to 180C for 20 minutes
8. Remove to cool before slicing.
Recipe by Gina Choong
500g Coconut milk(I use Heng Guan's Fresh Coconut milk)
pinch of salt
10 pcs pandan leaves
80g hoen kwe flour(green bean flour)
1 tbsp jelly powder
150g gula melaka(melted with 2 tbsp of water till syrup state)
1. Blend 100g water with pandan leaves to extract pandan juice.
2. Strain and discard leaves and add juice, remaining water, to coconut milk. Stir till evenly mixed.
3. Pour contents and salt into a large sauce pot and turn on the fire.
4. Add jelly powder and hoen kwe flour and whisk in with a whisk. This is to prevent lumps
5. once the mixture turns thick and somewhat 'goo-ey", turn off the fire.
6. Leave to cool before using.
To assemble the cake
1. Trim off sides of the cake to make it smaller to fit into a loaf cake pan.
2. Pour cooled jelly into the pan.
3. Carefully place a slice of the cake on top.
4. Pour another layer of jelly over the cake.
5. Place the last layer of cake on top of the jelly.
6. Pour remaining jelly and make sure its evenly covered.
7. Place cake into the fridge to chill and set for at least 2 hours.
To remove the cake
1. Run a palette knife inside the pan to release the cake from the sides of the pan.
2. Place a cake board(2 inches larger than the cake pan) over the top
3. Gently flipped the ring over to rest on the cake board.
4. Remove the cake pan.
5. Cake is ready to be served. Serve this chilled.
Uneaten cakes can be store in the fridge for upto 5 days.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1