Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 am Post subject: Baked Tuna & Ham Rice
|Something I used to cook a lot when the girls are young and had friends over for study project at our home. Its something kids loved..cheese, ham, tuna and mashed potatoes..
The frying of the rice and ingredients adds flavour to the rice. The ones sold in HK Cafes in Singapore are not fried. Its just cooked rice, piling it up with vegetables and meat and top with cheese and baked. Its not as flavourful as this version I did.
Serves 4 persons
2 rice bowls of cooked rice
1 medium white onion(chopped)
200g Honey Baked Ham(sliced into strips)
100g green bell pepper(sliced, de-seeded)
1 can of tuna flakes (drained from can)
Ingredients for Topping
4 pcs of Russet potatoes(cooked till soft)
200g Cheddar Cheese(shredded)*
Method to prepare topping
1. Boil potatoes with skin on in a pot of water for 15 minutes.
2. Remove to drain, run it under the tap till potato is cool to touch.
3. Peel off skin(it should come off easily).
4. Blend it with butter while its still warm till its creamy.
5. Put cheese and stir and its evenly mixed. Set aside.
Method to prepare rice and assemble
1. Heat up the pan with butter and add onions to saute till soft
2. Add ham, tuna flakes and green bell pepper
3. Add cooked rice and stir fry quickly to mix evenly. Making sure all the liquid has evaporated.
4. Divide the rice in 4 portions and add to a shallow dish.
5. Top it with the topping mix.
6. Baked in preheated oven 180C for 10 mins or until topping turned golden brown.
Sprinkle seaweed flakes or dried parsley leaves and serve warm.
There is no SALT used in this recipe as the butter is salted. So is the ham and tuna.
You can substitute the ham with leftover roast meats like Turkey, Chicken, or even Roast Pork. Make sure you cut it into smaller bite sizes.
For Cheese, you can substitute it with Mozzarella Cheese. However, Mozzarella cheese tends to turn gooey, sticky when baked/melted.
You can get Cheddar Cheese shredded in a pack from supermarkets.
You can make this ahead of time. Just don't bake it until its ready to serve.
You can serve this in a disposal foil tin tray for 1 person serving and cover it with foil paper and store in the fridge.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1