Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:17 am Post subject: Double Boil Superior Salmon Soup (rec n pic)
Serves 4 persons
1kg fish bones(I use a variety of bones from Salmon, grouper)
6 pcs dried Octopus
2 litres water
1 tbsp Szechuan Peppercorns
1 whole bulb of garlic(remove skin)
Salt to taste
200g Salmon Belly, cut into shorter strips/chunks
Method for 1st stage
1. Boil 500 ml of water in a sauce pot.
2. Once it starts boiling, add fish bones, peppercorns to boil over medium heat for 10 mins.
3. Pour entire contents into a slow cooker and add garlic, dried octopus. Set the slow cooker to HIGH and let it cook(covered) for at least 6 hours. Refill water as and when necessary.
Method for 2nd stage -- after 6 hours
1. Strain the soup to catch all the bones, octopus through a cloth sieve(I use the coffee bag to catch any tiny bone splinters.)
2. Skim off from the top any scum or oil. If possible, sieve again.
3. Pour into earthern pot and add salmon belly.
4. Put the earthern pot into a larger sauce pot and double boil for 30 to 40 minutes over low heat.
5. Add salt to taste. Serve it immediately.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1