Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:10 pm Post subject: Basic Loaf and Buns
|I still loved these basic bread loaf. Good on anything from fruit jams to coconut jam to a good French butter!
Just out of the oven.
When its cooled and sliced..
Made the rest into buns.
Makes 1 loaf and 6 buns
500g Bread Flour(I use Blue Jacket Bread Flour)
1 tsp sea salt flakes(Maldon Sea Salt Flakes)
30g Butter(salted, softened in room temperture)
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
200ml hot water
120ml Fresh Milk(cold milk from the fridge)
1 tbsp Active Dry Yeast
2 tbsp fine sugar
Optional to add:
Mixed dried herbs : Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley and sea salt flakes
1. In a cup add sugar to the hot water to stir till sugar melts. Then add cold milk to stir.
2. Sprinkle yeast over the top and stir it in. Leave it aside for 5 minutes or until it foams.
3. In a mixer, add flour and salt and whisk awhile to mix it evenly.
4. using a dough hook, turn on the mixer and slowly pour in the yeast mixture.
5. Slowly pour in the olive oil and let the machine knead for 2 minutes
6. Lastly add the butter and continue to knead till the dough leaves the sides of the bowl without sticking.
7. Wet your the palms of your hands with olive oil and work the dough on the table to form 60g balls of dough for buns. The remaining dough will be shaped into a long tube for the loaf pan.
8. Greased the loaf pan with oil and dusted with flour. And place the dough into the centre of the pan.
9. Spray the top with water and leave it aside in a warmed place to prove for at least 45 minutes. It should double in size. You can sprinkle the dried herb over the top on all the bread before baking.
10. Baked in a preheated oven set at 200C for 40 minutes.*
* for the buns, baked for only 20 minutes, then remove from oven to cool.
11. Remove to cool completely before slicing.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1