Joined: 15 Jun 2005
|Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:20 pm Post subject: Tabbouleh
|This is a Middle Eastern salad that uses bulgur but you can use cracked wheat berries (same ones used in bubur terigu) as a substitute. Very refreshing.
1 cup bulgur or cracked wheat berries
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped roughly
2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped roughly
3 onions, chopped roughly
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup olive oil
1. Placed the cracked wheat in a bowl.
2. Boil a kettle of water.
3. Pour and cover the wheat with the freshly boiled water. Allow to stand for 30 min.
4. While the wheat is standing on water. Chop up the vegetables and squeeze lemons for their juice.
5. Drain the wheat until very dry. Yes very dry.
6. Toss everything together in a bowl.
7. Refrigerate at least 4 hrs prior to serving. Toss again before serving.
I like to use large beefy tomatoes. They are the best because they got the most flesh of any tomatoes but they are also expensive. I also don't bother seeding the tomatoes. This is supposed to be a very cheap and quick salad. The mint leaves can be omitted because not many people like their strong taste. Just substitute with more parsley. The local parsley is best due to its stronger flavor.