Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Location: Dubai, UAE
|Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:14 am Post subject: Old Yellow Cucumber Stir Fry with Pork Strips
|Old Yellow Cucumber (Lao Huang Gua in chinese) is the one that we always boil soup with. Was getting tired of the soup version, so decided to stir fry it. Gina told me briefly that her mom cooked this with tang hoon but today, I ran out of it. So decided to created this dish instead. =)
Hope you all like it!
This is what the cucumber looks like...
500gm old yellow cucumber
200gm pork loin (cut into strips)
1 fresh red chilli (sliced)
1/2 pc of leek (sliced thinly)
1tsp chopped garlic
1tbsp oyster sauce
A pinch of sugar
400ml water (Or enough to cover all the cucumbers)
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil (u can use other types of cooking oil)
Marinade for pork:
1/2 tsp sugar
1tbsp sesame oil
1tsp soy sauce
A pinch of pepper
1. Peel off skin of old yellow cucumber, de-seed & slice or shred them into strips, soak in salt water for 30 mins, drain & set aside.
2. Marinade pork with above seasonings for 15 mins.
3. Heat up wok with olive oil & stir fry chopped garlic till fragrant.
4. In the pork goes to the wok, fry for 3mins, then put in cucumbers, fry for 5mins.
5. Add in oyster sauce, sugar, stir well.
6. Pour in water & make sure it covers all ingredients. Simmer till water are almost all soaked up & make sure the cucumbers are translucent (cooked). Do not cover wok.
7. Add chilli & leeks to stir fry.
8. Dish out & serve with rice.