Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Mussels with toppings (recipe & pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeylemon
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Mussels with toppings (recipe & pic) Reply with quote

Made these on Sunday. Very easy. Buy those frozen mussels (NZ green mussels) available in Carrefore and any supermarkets.

No need thawing. Put them in a baking tray and warm in the oven for about 15 to 20 mins. These are cooked ones.

For the toppings on your left hand side:-

3 small chilli padies (can use big ones if you don't like it too spicy)
1/2 table sp of tau cheong (crushed ones)
2 stallks of spring onion
2 stalks of corriander
2 cloves of garlic
2 cloves of shallots

Fry garlic, add in the chillies, spring onion, shallots and tau cheong. Lastly add in corriander.

Scope them onto the mussels. This is hot and spicy.

For toppings on your right hand side, this one I learn it from the recipe printed on the mussel box.

Chop, green pepper, tomatoes, corriander leaves, shallots in equal proportion. Mix them well in a bowl, squeeze in lemon juice, add salt and pepper to taste. Scope them onto the mussels.

This is cold and refreshing.

I'm sure all the chefs here can come up with more fabulous toppings Wink

May sound like a long process but it's actually very fast. Think all done with 30 mins.

"It's not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it's because we do not dare that they are difficult" Seneca

Last edited by honeylemon on Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley

you need to resize your photo to 6x4 inches. its too big for display here. not everyone who comes to KC uses Broadband or Cable. Many who are overseas are still on dialup. Wink as it will take very long to load the full page photo to view.

about the mussels, I prefer to have it blanched in hot boiling water so its a bit more moist. Baking it straight from the freezer will dry it up further.

another way to eat this, spread your otak otak paste on it, then steam it till the otak paste is cooked. or can grill the otak paste mussels too.

another easy one is to make your own Gucamole or Salsa sauce and top it on. Squeeze some lemon juice over it before serving.

also, I use these mussels to make my French Seafood soup..! Oh, this soup, must ask a few members here for their review. they literally lick the soup from the pot! :roll: Embarassed

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
honeylemon
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Shirley

you need to resize your photo to 6x4 inches. its too big for display here. not everyone who comes to KC uses Broadband or Cable. Many who are overseas are still on dialup. Wink as it will take very long to load the full page photo to view.

about the mussels, I prefer to have it blanched in hot boiling water so its a bit more moist. Baking it straight from the freezer will dry it up further.

another way to eat this, spread your otak otak paste on it, then steam it till the otak paste is cooked. or can grill the otak paste mussels too.

another easy one is to make your own Gucamole or Salsa sauce and top it on. Squeeze some lemon juice over it before serving.

also, I use these mussels to make my French Seafood soup..! Oh, this soup, must ask a few members here for their review. they literally lick the soup from the pot! :roll: Embarassed

Ok, will do that but my size is only 10 cm leh, why end up so big. Will check.

Wow, otak paste. Yum yum. I love that. Will sure to do that. Yea, I think blanching them is a good idea Wink

Wow, french soup with mussels..... (drooling)

"It's not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it's because we do not dare that they are difficult" Seneca
Alannia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:

Gina, this sounds really yummy. Sigh....
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honeylemon,
I have bought this frozen NZ mussels... not expensive here... very plump and juicy! Your dish and recipe are very nice!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia wrote:

Alannia

its the MOST expensive dish I ever serve to guests! this soup costs me a whopping S$200 just to cook for 30 people. 20 people are members of KC with their spouses and kids. I had this party in 2004 just before I launched KC. It was a lunch to remember. I cook 14 dishes for 30 people. :shock: they ate from lunch till almost dinner. I had to chase them home as 10 more people are coming for dinner(my family).

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Alannia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wah....from lunch to dinner. I wouldn't want to leave too :lol:
honeylemon
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Alannia wrote:

Alannia

its the MOST expensive dish I ever serve to guests! this soup costs me a whopping S$200 just to cook for 30 people. 20 people are members of KC with their spouses and kids. I had this party in 2004 just before I launched KC. It was a lunch to remember. I cook 14 dishes for 30 people. :shock: they ate from lunch till almost dinner. I had to chase them home as 10 more people are coming for dinner(my family).

Wow, tha's alot of people to cook for. :shock:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Quick & Easy All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: