Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Small loaf 100% Whole Wheat Bread (with pic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinkerBell
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Small loaf 100% Whole Wheat Bread (with pic) Reply with quote

Edited 7 August: I made some changes to the original receipe and tested it three times. Now the bread is less dense and rise properly each time. This receipe yields a small loaf about 480g approximately 10 slices.

Ingredients:
3/4 Cup (180ml) water ** see note 1
1.5 tablespoons Olive or Sunflower Oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice ** see note 2

2 cups (256grams) whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon wheat gluten ** see note 3
1.5 teaspoons (4grams) Active Dry Yeast

Optional: 3 tablespoons Sunflower seeds kernel (to be added during the 'add ingredients' beep of your bread maker)

Steps:
Place all ingredients in your bread maker bread pan in order as advised in your bread maker's manual. I used a wheat programme and light crust setting.

Notes:
Note 1: Check the dough after 5 mins into kneading cycle 1. Dough should form into a moist round ball. For my kitchen condition and breadmaker, I find that 190ml works better.

Note 2: I quote this from a bread maker receipe book 'Dough conditioners...these are added to breads to help stablize the gluten strands and hold the gases formed by the yeast...Two natural dough conditioners which help to ensure a higher rise, lighter texture, and stronger dough are lemon juice and malt extract ...You can add 5ml/1 tsp lemom juice with every 2 cups/225g strong (bread) flour without affecting the flavour of the bread...'. Since I have been having problems with my 100% whole wheat bread rising, I added 5ml of lemon juice and the bread indeed rise better Very Happy

Note 3: This has to be Active Wheat Gluten and not Wheat Gluten Flour. Hard to find in Singapore.I found it in Phoon Huat.

Photos:

Last edited by TinkerBell on Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinkerbell,

I would love to try this once my kitchen is fully built! I am now based in Pakistan and the bread that they buy here tastes a little funny - very 'yeasty', tastes somewhat raw and even a bit sweet. I cannot eat it on its own and must toast it for a while to get rid of that raw taste/smell.

Thanks for this recipe!
TinkerBell
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shirin,

You are most welcome ! It is so difficult to find 100% wholemeal bread machine receipes. Actually, I am new to cooking and baking bread Embarassed I have only had my bread machine for a month.

Do you like wholemeal bread too ? Most wholemeal bread receipe calls for 50% bread flour but I like mine 100% wholemeal Wink

Cheers !
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Note 3: This has to be Active Wheat Gluten and not Wheat Gluten Flour. Hard to find in Singapore.I found it in Phoon Huat.

Thinkerbell,

I would like to try your Wholemeal Bread. I tried to find it in two of Phoon Huat shops, .Hougang and Ang Mo Kio but they do not have it. they only have Wheat Gluten Flour not the"ACTIVE" one. Could you please let me know which shop u managed to get it from ? Thanks.

Lena
TheEpicure
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Active Wheat Gluten is also known as Vital Wheat Gluten here in the US.
TinkerBell
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lena,

I bought mine from PH at Sembawang MRT. I searched the whole store and finally asked the store assistant. It is in a rectangular box in the refrigerator section. I have been using it and so far so good.

In NTUC, there is a 'Gulten Flour' but that's not wheat gulten. Indeed it is also known as "Vital Wheat Gluten". Tanglin Mall's marketplace also carries a US brand wheat gulten but it is at nearly S$10 for a small pack.

If really you are not able to find the wheat gulten, replace the 1/2 cup of wholemeal flour with bread flour and the bread should rise okay.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get all the gluten free flours from all Jason's Marketplace Supermarkets. Including the new Cold Storage store at Katong Mall.

I've been to Jason's Marketplace at Raffles City, Orchard Towers and have seen their wide range of Gluten free flour and products. Yes, very expensive for a small pack.

They have Rye flour, Buckwheat flour, Cornmeal, Polenta, etc etc.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
TinkerBell
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other place that I usually buy such flour is 'Brown Rice Paradize' at Tanglin Mall 3rd floor. They carry more volume and varieties than supermarkets. Furthermore, if you make a S$50 purchase, you can apply for a VIP card which gives you 10% discounts.

I use 100% wholemeal flour and sometimes mix with buckwheat, rye, oat flour for variety. Reason is DH does not like white/bread flour. The challenge of not using bread flour is to get the bread to rise nicely. Hence the need for adding 'Wheat Gulten'. However, my German colleague said the bread sold in his country is like what I call the 'not risen nicely' bread so it is up to your preference.

Hope this helps, Lena Very Happy
Mngzara
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltan wrote:
Quote:

Thinkerbell,

I would like to try your Wholemeal Bread. I tried to find it in two of Phoon Huat shops, .Hougang and Ang Mo Kio but they do not have it. they only have Wheat Gluten Flour not the"ACTIVE" one. Could you please let me know which shop u managed to get it from ? Thanks.

Lena

Lena,

I bought the wheat gluten from Hougang PH last week.
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinkerBell wrote:
Hi Lena,

I bought mine from PH at Sembawang MRT. I searched the whole store and finally asked the store assistant. It is in a rectangular box in the refrigerator section. I have been using it and so far so good.

In NTUC, there is a 'Gulten Flour' but that's not wheat gulten. Indeed it is also known as "Vital Wheat Gluten". Tanglin Mall's marketplace also carries a US brand wheat gulten but it is at nearly S$10 for a small pack.

If really you are not able to find the wheat gulten, replace the 1/2 cup of wholemeal flour with bread flour and the bread should rise okay.

So sorry folks, TheEpicure,TinkerBell,Gina and Mngzara,
I just realized that I miss reading all your messages of advices until to day. Thanks a lot .
TinkerBell, that
TinkerBell
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltan wrote:
TinkerBell, that
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes Lena, that's the one I am using.

Thanks TinkerBell. I will try out the Wholemeal Bread When I get the Wheat Gluten.
Last night I tried out Raisin bread using Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: