Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Confinement Food recipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Healthy Meals Every Day!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milkshake
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Confinement Food recipes Reply with quote

Hi.

I wil be having my babies (twins) in a few weeks time Smile Not sure going for C-section or natural as all depends on my babies presentation.

I need advice on Confinement foods. Being in Australia, I don't have a nanny or confinement lady. My MIL will be down to help out and she is also clueless about what type of food to prepare.

I will appreciate if you kind ladies or gentlemen can help provide some tried and tested recipes. Preferably those without much herbs as they can be difficult to find here.

Also, If I have a C-section which is equivalent to an op right? Do I need to avoid Op food too? Then what can I eat!!!??

Thanks!
________
medical marijuana doctor

Last edited by milkshake on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
vegiemite
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Milkshake

Congratulations on the impending birth of your twins. Not being a mum .... not sure what good confinement food advise to offer. I remember when my sisters had their kids, my mum offer food cooked with heaps of ginger. (she also cooked pork knuckles with ginger in black vinegar)

Check out this site :
http://www.makantime.com/indexrecipes.html
(scroll down and there are 4 articles about confinement food)

As with food to avoid POST OP, I don't know if what Gina advised me applies.... check this out:
http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6931

All the best and enjoy your previous bundles when they arrive. Very Happy

Ange
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy, another long story :lol:

I have c-section for both of my daughters. My mom cooked the usual confinement food for me. But when I had my youngest daughter, I didn't eat very much food that had ginger in it. That's according to my gynae and it does something to the milk as I was breastfeeding too. I can't remember what it does to the human milk but it means that the baby will have tummy upset.

Whether you have operation(c-section) or not, the usual thing to eat is

Chicken cooked with sesame oil, ginger and black fungus, salt
Steam fish(usually threadfin) and with sesame oil, ginger, salt
Pork trotters in black vinegar, old ginger
stir fry vegetables(usually green leafy types)
chicken cooked in wine(DOM or Hong Chao)
Double boil chicken soup..with just salt, ginger

the food to avoid are
Seafood..shell fish like crabs, prawns, clams, oysters and also squids
No duck, no red meat like beef or mutton
No eggs(especially if you have operation)
too 'liang' fruits like watermelon, sugar cane, (but this is all superstitions to me. I ate watermelon and drank sugar cane juice every other day!!)

Drinks:
Hot drinks, no cold drinks. There is some truth in this but not in a superstitious way. More like if you drink cold stuff, you can get tummy ache. Its not about it being too cooling for your body.

Hot drinks are made with red dates and boil till the water turns dark brown. no need to add sugar as red dates are often sweet.

Drink warm soya bean milk if not, drink fresh milk.

Eat more fresh fruits and salad greens. if you can don't cook the vegetables too much. you need to replendish all the vitamins in your body.

Drink a warm drink before bed.

Every meal that is cook must be laden with sesame oil, or wine, vinegar, or with lots of ginger. No garlic, no onions.

after a while you can really get so sick of sesame oil, vinegar, wine and ginger. So my mom would cook chicken soup and bee hoon for me or sometimes the simple fish soup with some rice. Like those we eat in hawkers in Singapore.

during my 2 confinement periods(for my 2 daughters) my mom never brew any tonic herbs from the chinese medicinal hall. Just the usual home cook meals.

and all the taboo about not bathing, I don't believe in it. I bathe on the 3rd day after my girls are born..! coffee

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and one last thing..its not about what to eat. its also about keeping a cool head during confinement period.

if any time you need to let off steam about baby or hubby or mother or anything, let it off here.

many of us here are old hens Embarassed S_ter, where are you? :lol: :lol: can advise you what to do, how to think and all that. Wink

one important thing to do while you are the hospital. Go for the post natal care programme. I think all the hospitals have that programme. The nurse will teach you how to take care of your back(yes, your BACK!) after you have given birth. Follow religiously the exercises you need to do daily for that..you will never have any back ache problems later in life.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi milkshake:

First of all, congratulations! Two for the prize of one labour ~ and doubling joys...

Second, thanks to superchef Gina... guess I would have to add my two cents' worth since I'm an old hen... And everyone knows that old hens are most flavourful where taste is concern Wink

Regarding confinement foods, I also confirm that makantime has the best compilation. And Gina's list is great! The high dependency on meat is to "replace" proteins <replace the little bundles of flesh and bones, etc just born?>

Black fungus is believed to "clean" the blood. Sesame oil and ginger is to "heat" <enrich> a weakened body. Ginger is to reduce wind, as the old aunties believe that "wind" gets into the internal body sections when birth occurs. Seems very "old wives' tales" but the Chinese mothers had been following these recipes for thousands of years. And as my Mum used to say "Wait till you get old... if you don't eat up that kilo of ginger I'd just cooked..."

Oh well, I did finish all the chicken cooked with sesame oil, ginger and black fungus; steamed threadfin; pork trotters in black vinegar with old ginger; ginger wine soup; etc.

But, like what Gina shared, I managed to get HouseSpouse to smuggle in fruit juices/purees made with liang fruits like pineapples, melons, sugar cane. I ate them like crazy as with the high protein diet, I was having problems going to the toilet!

Now with a 33 year old son, my bones are still fine; my joints are still flexible; my mind is still sharp <hopefully>!

So I think your diet should be a high protein one, with sufficient roughage to keep your body system going :lol: :lol:

But if you do have a C-section, do follow Gina's suggestions. Otherwise... itching and discolouration of the surgical scar??? Can confirm it's true. Tested it out during my 4 major ops...

Hope this irrelevancy helps. And don't blame me... blame Gina for surfacing me and my old wives' tales Razz

S_ter
vegiemite
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina & Esther

Thanks for your input.... Since my initial enquiry for food to aviod POST OP, I have copied down all the advise given by everyone. Better to be safe and sorry ( as the saying goes).

This is also another one to note down for my nieces and nephews.

Cheers

Ange
Choonie
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Pregnancy and Confinemt Foods Reply with quote

Hi Milkshake,

It would be good if you can get hold of a cook book entitled, "The Chinese Pregnancy and Confinement Cookbook".by Ng Siong Mui. Her recipes are easy to follow and she gives you a brief description as to why certain ingredients are used to boost health. Someone gave me this book when I had my daughter who is now 15 years old and I'm still referring to the book till this day after three kids. It's a descriptive and colourful book.

We're in Melbourne and I find the herbs easily obtainable from the suburban asian shops.

You can find the book in Times, Popular Bookstores, Borders. you could possibly request a friend to purchase and mail you the book or get your MIL to get it for you. It's less than $30!
jollyminnie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi milkshake,

Here are some traditional Chinese Recipes given by the hospital when I gave birth last year. Its believed to improve milk flow in lactation. You may wish to give them a try:

1. Pig's Trotters Soup
1 pair of pig's trotters, 200g fresh groundnuts,1 Chinese spoonful of vinegar.
Method
Clean & split pig's trotters. Boil & simmer with groundnuts in water. Add a pinch of salt & vinegar. Cook till soft.

2. Fish & Papaya Soup
200g semi-ripe papaya, 1 whole fish eg. carp, snakehead,seabream,promfret or kurua fillet, (fyi, i use threadfin fillet), few slices of ginger.
Method
Scale & clean fish. Simmer together with pieces of papaya & ginger for half hour or till soft. Remove bones before serving.

3. Kidney Fried with Lily Flower200g kidney, clean & sliced, 20g dried lily flower (golden needles), few slices of ginger vegetable oil, dash of rice wine.
Method
Stir fry kidney slices in oil with ginger. Add lily flower & seasoning.

4. Longan & Red Dates Tea
10 pieces dried longan flesh, 6-8 dried red dates(seeds removed), 4-5g tangkwei(optional).
Method
Boil & simmer ingredients in 3-4 cups water for 30-45 minutes until fragrant & tasty. Keep in a thermal flask & drink it throughout the day.

Choonie is right! The book on pregnancy & confinement by Ng Siong Mui is very detailed & will be very useful if you are clueless as to what to cook for confinement.

Have fun in your delivery & enjoy your confinement! More importantly, do rest your back as much as possible. Wink
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Chinese tradition way of confinement needs to eat a lot of ginger and sesame seed oil.

You can also drink DOM everynight to boost back your vitality and health. Besides, Chinese Glutinous wine is also good, cook with ginger and meat /soup - the Hakka way to Health.

I wonder who can give me tips on the Malay way of confinement.
Alannia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindi, are you asking for future or is your DIL pregnant already?
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to share what I had during confinement:

Meat
Black vinegar trotter
Frid kidney with soya sauce and ginger
Black fungus with chicken
Fish
Pork Chop
Hong Zhao chicken - I usu eat this with mee sua

Veggies - using cooked with shallot, ginger, sesame oil and lean meat
Spinach (China)
Sweet beans
Cai Xin
Broccoli
Kai Lan
French beans

Soup
Black bean with spare rib soup
Black chicken soup (sometimes with Ba Zhen or Dang Gui)
Corn with spare rib soup
Dang Shen chicken soup
Peanut with spare rib soup

Others
Mee sua with kidney and lean meat soup (I ate this for breakfast almost every day)
Fried rice
Eggs
Black mushrooms - cook with either meat/veggie
Logan Red Dates Tea (drink as plain water on daily basis) - my MIL added other herbal stuff, I don't know what are those Embarassed

Confinement lady says to refrain from eating eggs and chicken for the first few days so the wound can heal faster (applicable to both episotomy and C-section). Can't remember how many days though. Also, CL used shallots instead of garlic. I asked her why, she said if we eat garlic during confinement, we'll have bad breath.

It's still ok to take ginger and sesame as I breastfeed both my kids but I don't eat loads of them, I just eat in moderation.

That's about all I can remember. Hope it helps.
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia Smile ... lol .... asking for recipes as she is pregnant at the first month of marriage, will be a mummy soon...

Miss talking to you all....
Alannia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're going to be a grandma soon.....congratulations!!!!

You must be very happy.
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia,

Thank you.

The scanning showed is a baby girl, just anxious to see how she looks.
milkshake
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your advice. Will print out and show my MIL Smile

Only 2 more weeks or less? to go b4 their arrival... very excited.

Willm post pics as soon as I can!!
________
how to make a vaporizer

milkshake
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your advice. Will print out and show my MIL Smile

Only 2 more weeks or less? to go b4 their arrival... very excited.

Will post pics as soon as I can!!
________
easy vape review

Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi milkshake, Congrats! Can't wait to see your twin!

Here's are some recipes that I cooked during my confinement:
http://belachan2.blogspot.com/search/label/Confinement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Healthy Meals Every Day! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: