Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:53 am Post subject: Walnut Achar(recipe n pic)
5 red chillies
150ml vinegar(I use the S&W Distilled Vinegar)
3 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
4 pcs of China fragrant garlic
100 g roasted Walnuts(coarsely ground)
100 g roasted Walnuts(Whole)
4 pcs dried chilli(soften in water)
1 tsp cumin seeds(dry roast)
1 tsp fennel seeds(dry roast)
1 tbsp coriander seeds(dry roast)
1 small knob of fresh tumeric
Method to prepare the vegetables:
1. wash and clean cucumbers, remove the soft center seeds. Cut into thin long strips with skin on.
2. Cut the carrot into thin long strips.
3. Sliced chilli thinly, discard seeds.
4. Toss sea salt with vegetables and leave it aside for 2 hours.
5. Wash under the tap water and dry it with a paper towel.
Method to prepare the spice mix
1. Heat up the wok and dry fry the spice seeds till fragrant.
2. Blend spice mix with 30ml of water till paste-like.
3. Heat up the wok again and add cooking oil(30ml) to fry the paste
4. Once its fragrant, its ready to use.
Method to assemble together:
1. Lower heat and add vinegar, sugar into the spices and stir till sugar has melted
2. Turn off the heat.
3. Add all the vegetables, sesame seeds, ground walnuts to toss and mix evenly.
4. Remove and store in a glass jar and leave it in the fridge.
5. Serve with whole walnuts on the side.
S&W Vinegar is less acidic. If you use Chinese Rice Vinegar, you may need to add more sugar as its very sourish and acidic.
If you keep this in the chiller, it can last 2 weeks maximum. Whenever you want to eat, use a clean spoon to scoop out the amount you want. Do not use a 'soiled' spoon or it will contaminate the Achar.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1