Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Macaroni Eggplant Cake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Rice & Pasta
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helena
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Macaroni Eggplant Cake Reply with quote

Alannia, this is for you as requested. Recipe taken from Family Circle Pasta Cookbook.

Preparation 30 minutes(I took slighlty longer)
Total cooking time : 1 hour
Serves 4 - 8 persons

125g macaroni
2 - 3 eggplants, sliced thinly lengthwise
salt
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
500g pork, beef or chicken mince
425g can tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fershly grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

METHOD

Grease and line a deep 23cm round springform tin. Add macaroni to a large pan of rapidly boiling water and cook until just tender. Drain and set aside.

Arrange eggplant on trays. Sprinkle with salt. Allow to stand for 20 minutes. Rinse well. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan. Cook eggplant in batches in a single layer until golden on each side. Add more oil as required. Drain on paper towel.

Add onion and crushed garlic to the same pan and stir over low heat until onion is tender. Add mince and brown, breaking up any lumps iwth a spoon or fork as it cooks. Add undrained, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper and stir well. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Set aside.

In a bowl, place peas, macaroni, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, egg and half the parmesan. Use a wooden spoon to mix. Set aside.

Preheat oven to moderate 180C. Place a slice of eggplant in the centre on the base of prepared tin. Arrange three quarters of remaining eggplant in an overlapping pattern to completely cover the base and sides of tin. Sprinkle with half the remaining parmesan cheese.

Combine the mince mixture with macaroni mixture. Carefully spoon filling into eggplant case, packing down well. Arrange remaining eggplant slices, overlapping, over the filling. Springkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.

Bake uncovered, 25 - 30 minutes or until golden. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before unmoulding onto a serving plate. Serve with salad if desired.

Variations : If preferred, omit the mince and add chopped cooked italian sausage and chopped cooked chicken to the tomato mixture. Serve with some extra tomato sauce macde by simmering undrained, crushed tomatoes with a little garlic, pepper and chopped basil until thickened.

I read thru the whole recipe and cheat with whatever I can to shorten the process. Instead of cheddar I had used gruyere. and also, I had added curry powder and coriander powder to give it an asian flavour. But everybody likes it even my fussy boys.

Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Helena. Will give it a try soon. *My list getting longer & longer*.
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting. I hope to give it a try one day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Rice & Pasta All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: