Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Salad with Plum Sauce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Salads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Salad with Plum Sauce Reply with quote

Some of you might not be able to reconcile with this. Salad with plum sauce? My husband's aunty shared that she once ate salad with plum sauce but it took me a while before i pluck up the courage to experiment with it & the result is a great refreshing salad which my husband & kids love. Hope you like it.

Ingredients:
- 1 big ice-berg lettuce (wash, drain, pat dry & cut to small pieces)
- 1 rice bowl full of dried apricots (cut into small cube size)
- 2 corns (shred the corn out & steam for 10 minutes first & drain off the water & cool it down)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (cool it, cut into smaller piece)

Dressing:
- 2 - 3 tablespoons of plum sauce
- italian mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons (or more) of extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- freshly milled black pepper (optional)

Method
- In a large bowl, mix everything together (except for hard boiled eggs)
- Chill for 1 hour
- Top with hard boiled eggs
- Ready to serve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this recipe was from a hotel chef. I heard about this.using sour plum sauce to make salad. now I can't remember which chef from which restaurant.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
audrienne
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of this salad, I always see the so called plum salad near my office in Melbourne.

The salad consists of boiled spiral pasta and few other vegies. The look doesnt appeal to me so I always end up buying Caesar or Mango/Chicken Salad. Mmm maybe i should try it next time.
lynn_m
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wahhh.. got plum sos at home..
will try this weekend.. thanks for sharing!
devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, to tell you the truth, this recipe came out of desperation.

I needed to come out with a salad for my hubby & kids one weekend as i was cooking western food. I looked into my fridge & found these ingredients. I don't normally stock up on salad dressing but I always have plum sauce so i just went about cutting & mixing with it & pray & hope that i'll come out with something that the VIPs in the house (the hubby & kids) like, I just experiment lor. Sometimes, i even add in garlic powder (my very good friend tells me that is like the MSG in western food so I always have that at home as well).

For my third & fourth attempts, i added into diced apples & plain yoghurt with vinegar. Kids like but hubby found it a bit sourish & waterly. He told me to leave the vinegar out. So, decided that it is best to just use plum sauce with whatever i listed earlier & had a great salad again on thurs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devoted mum

you are on the first step to being like me! I always had to improvise in order to cook for the family.

thus I always had a jar of freshly squeezed lime juice in the fridge. that keeps indefinitely. I use that to make an instant Thai salad. Smile love

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina

when you said "improvise", it reminds me of what nigella lawson once said (not quoting her word for word as i can't remember her exact words but to the effect that) the success of a dish is not to follow the recipe to the T but to be able to come up with a dish that the end result is something that you like.

i believe that in cooking, you have to also go with your intuition, your gut feel. of course, as we improvise, we must be prepared that it may not turn out the way we want it.

recently, i added in 1/2 cup quaker oats to my regular 2 cups self raising flour muffin as i wanted a healthier version of muffin. i was waiting for reaction when my hubby & kids ate it but they couldn't tell the difference as opposed to the time when i added in wholemeal flour.

with wholemeal flour added, my daughter refused a second helping of muffin (she complained about the nutty texture) but with the oats, she couldn't tell the difference. to me that is a success of my improvising. not that adding wholemeal flour is not right, it could be the fact that i did not soak it before hand (the PH guy told me later that i shd have soaked it for an hour first) but i just don't have the patience to soak it first. you know what is it like, when you want to bake, you just go about baking.

i have since baked twice adding the oats & everybody's still very happy eating the mango muffins. so, looks like oats is here to stay in my muffins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Salads All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: