Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Sorbets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Sorbets Reply with quote

For you,Linda...from an ice cream post that didn't just branch out to ice cream only... :lol:

"Ok,for sorbet/sherbert...you use a base of simple syrup,pureed fruit and an eggwhite,whisked till stiff with a pinch of salt. Switch the fruit around to your taste.
By all means,reduce the simple syrup and top up with fruit juices,wine,alcohol,champagne or sparkling juice or wine!
Please note,however,that high alcohol content will prevent the sorbet or sherbert from setting properly...might require more blending and refreezing...so don't be tempted to splash in so much alcohol!
Also,it depends on the fruit you use...taste and add the syrup accordingly.
Add a little more than what you like however,because when it freezes,some sweetness goes away.

SIMPLE SYRUP:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

In a saucepan bring sugar, water, corn syrup to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer syrup, undisturbed, 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
Syrup keeps, covered, in the refrigerator for weeks.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Make small batches of sorbet till you find your favourite flavour
My favourite...Try an elegant Peach Bellini sorbet...with 1 cup worth pureed peach...substitute with berries or nectarines.
Add some sparkling wine or champagne...syrup to taste...freeze...blend...re-freeze.
Add in the egg white,blend,refreeze and eat."
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LYCHEE AND LEMONGRASS SORBET:
Very very refreshing,don't knock it till you've tried it!
The vanilla seeds add a subtle flavour,and contribute to the fragrance!
I used canned lychees here,to make life easier,and anyway,fresh ones are seasonal...

YOU NEED:
500gr can Lychee
4oz granulated sugar
Seeds of a vanilla pod...reserve the pod,stick it in a small bottle of sugar for vanilla sugar.
Otherwise,1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 stick of lemongrass
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
2 egg whites
thinly pared rind of 1 lime, to decorate

HOW:
Drain the juice from the Lychees into a measuring jug and make up to 1/2 pint with cold water. Pour into a saucepan and stir in the sugar,lemongrass and vanilla seeds. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to infuse for half an hour. Remove the lemongrass.
Puree the Lychees in a blender or food processor or press through a sieve. Mix with the sugar syrup and lemon or lime juice, pour the mixture into a shallow freezer container and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, until nearly frozen.
Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until fairly stiff. Cut the frozen Lychee mixture into small pieces and then work in a blender or food processor to break down the crystals. Transfer to a bowl and quickly fold in the whisked egg white. Pour into a freezer container and freeze for 2-3 hours until firm.
Blend again till smooth,freeze till firm. Repeat again.
Alternatively,churn in an ice cream machine,till slushy. Add the egg whites,churn till almost set,then finish setting in the freezer.
Plunge the pared lime rind into a saucepan of boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain, refresh and pat dry. Cut them into thin strips and serve sprinkled over the sorbet.

*modified after a friend shared with me

Last edited by Stefanie on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHINESE PEAR SORBET:

YOU NEED:
6 large Chinese pears,peeled and seeded,roughly chopped. (the small ones are sour and bitter)
6 tbl Sauternes or Apple Juice, or Sparkling Apple juice....any apple infused wine is good too.
Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup vanilla sugar OR 1/2 cup sugar,and scraped beans of a vanilla pod.
1 cup water
1 egg white,beaten till stiff with a pinch of salt.

HOW:
Make this a day ahead to allow flavors to mellow.

Puree pears in processor or blender. Add Sauternes or juice and mix well.
Stir lemon juice,zest, sugar and water,boil for 5 minutes,to make a simple syrup.
Add to fruit mixture, blending thoroughly.
Transfer to ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturers directions....before it sets,stir in egg white,continue churning till set.

OR:
Whisk the egg white in a clean, dry bowl until fairly stiff. Cut the frozen pear mixture into small pieces and then work in a blender or food processor to break down the crystals. Transfer to a bowl and quickly fold in the whisked egg white. Pour into a freezer container and freeze for 2-3 hours until firm.
Finish freezing to set.

*modified after a friend shared with me

Last edited by Stefanie on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda...your suan mei sorbet...hey has quite a ring to it!
:lol:

Ok so I would add less syrup...1/2 cup simple syrup to one cup ice cream soda...1/2 cup fresh lime juice.
Churn in ice cream machine,with egg white,then lastly add the chopped soaked suan mei.
Adjust sweetness to taste yes...and bear in mind to add a little more sugar than you normally will,as with freezing,the sweetness reduces.
I think it will taste yummy!
Linda
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stef

You are so sweet to put up with this "old" lady's weird taste buds. Will certainly give both your sorbet and gelato recipes a try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stefanie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not weird at all,Linda.
I too love sour stuff,and this is sort of the frozen version of thai lime and sour plum soda...one of my fav drinks.
When I have the time,will definitely give this a shot too!
Stefanie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Another one of my favs... Reply with quote

Easy Apple and Honey Sorbet:

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 pounds green apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 lemons, juiced
1 tablespoon good quality honey
1 egg white

DIRECTIONS:
In a large, resealable plastic bag or plastic container with a lid, mix apples with the juice of 1/2 lemon. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in honey. Cool completely.
Place apple in a blender, and liquidize them with juice of 1 lemon and the cooled sugar syrup until as smooth as possible. The peel will add texture, and prevent the mixture from being completely smooth.
Freeze till almost set then blend again with an eggwhite beaten stiff. Freeze again till set and eat.

*modified from allrecipes.com

Last edited by Stefanie on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stefanie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Rambutan Sorbet:

1 large can of rambutans with liquid
Juice of a large lime
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp Ribena to tint
1 egg white

HOW:
In a large, resealable plastic bag or plastic container with a lid, mix drained rambutan with the lime. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
In a small saucepan, bring water,rambutan liquid to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in honey & Ribena. Cool completely.
Place rambutan in a blender, and liquidize them with the cooled syrup until as smooth as possible.
Freeze till almost set then blend again with an eggwhite beaten stiff. Freeze again till set and eat.
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRANDIED LEMONGRASS & SUGAR PLUM SORBET:

Sugar plums are in season right now and wow this is good! Was messing around with some flavours,didn't expect it to turn out so well.
Leave out the cardamom if you don't like it...but the lemongrass does work. Try it!

8 ripe sugar plums
1 slice ginger
1 lemongrass stalk,bashed
1 cardamom pod
1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp Kirsch or brandy or rum
pinch of salt
1 eggwhite

HOW:
Simmer plums,ginger,lemongrass,cardamom,salt and sugar together with water till plums are soft. About 10 minutes.
Cool a while and remove cardamom,ginger and lemongrass. Discard. At this point,plums should be soft enough for you to squish pips out.
Puree everything (skins and all) and strain. Taste and see if you want it sweeter. Stir in brandy.
Churn in ice cream machine till almost set,and then churn with egg white beaten stiff. Finish setting in freezer.

OR:
Whisk the egg white in a clean, dry bowl until fairly stiff. Blend frozen plum mixture to break down the crystals. Transfer to a bowl and quickly fold in the whisked egg white. Pour into a freezer container and freeze for 2-3 hours until firm.
Finish freezing to set.
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Sorbet Reply with quote

I got two questions:

1. Why to you add in the stiff egg white before the mixture sets?

2. I have read in other recipes where egg white are tempered. For example, you bring boil the water, sugar and lemon juice. Slowly add the heated mixture in a stream to the egg white to prevent curding and continue stir vigorously. Heat up the mixture with egg white again until it thickens.
    Other than health reasons of preventing salmonella, is there other reasons of using this technique?
see stars
Stefanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kwansm...

The beaten eggwhite is added to create a faux creaminess...for this reason,I use very fresh eggs...

I have come across recipes with tempered eggwhites too but I am just too lazy to do this...hahaha...you could if you wanted to! It is for health reasons of course...and also to stablise the consistency of the sorbet...so you get a smoother finish. Very Happy
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Sorbet Reply with quote

That's great information. Thank you very much. grin
Stefanie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries kwan...you are welcome! island
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cold Room All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: