Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Panfried Crispy Fish w Preserved Soyabeans(rec n pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Panfried Crispy Fish w Preserved Soyabeans(rec n pic) Reply with quote

my king at home says this is comfort food

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina

By the look of the picture of the fish, it is daozion heu 豆醬魚 in Teochew! If you use Pouleng daozion 普寧豆醬 it will be really like those from Swatow and Teochew.

Just a couple of tips: Teochew people would use a lot more spring onions and we do not use corn flour. To thicken the sauce, we take out the fish and then reduce the sauce, which we call giam diao ko zui 减掉顆水. We then put the fish back into the sauce and coat the fish with the thicken sauce.

You can do this dish with promfet, salmon, sea bream and any other fish which does not disintegrate in the cooking process. Delicious. Smile

Your chilli padi garnish is very Singaporean, and this is ok! I use just ordinary sliced red chilli, which I add in the beginning and it gives it a kick. However, you only add this at the end of the cooking and it will not be chilli hot.

Well done Gina! A lovely Teochew dish indeed.

This is a 豆醬三文魚. I did not add any chillies in this dish!

This is another one done with promfet but now with chillies.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruyi

thanks for the tips and pictures. my girls cannot take chilli in the raw. Only my hubby. So I add that last.

I have no idea how this was to be cooked. so I just did it in my own way.

One thing I do know..my mom says that the Teochew loves fish..preferably if it steamed or cook 'gently' yummy

Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Ruyi

thanks for the tips and pictures. my girls cannot take chilli in the raw. Only my hubby. So I add that last.

I have no idea how this was to be cooked. so I just did it in my own way.

One thing I do know..my mom says that the Teochew loves fish..preferably if it steamed or cook 'gently' yummy

Gina when you read my book you will know how Teochew people make their daozion heu.

I was watching Teochew TV and the master chef was asked how to make chillies not hot. I too cannot take the hotness from chillies. However, the flavour is excellent.

Yes, Teochew has lots of ways to steam fish. I have to learn a whole set of new Teochew words just for steaming and cooking!

Another tip for the daozion heu - I found Chinese wine give a flavour which Teochew people do not like. I hence use sake instead. However, do not add too much sake! We call sake cheng ziu in Teochew. Real Teochew people just add water in the fish to braise it after the frying. I find sake gives another dimension to the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruyi

I use my own home made Rice wine. A hand-me-down recipe that my late father-in-law knew and only my mother-in-law remember it. So she taught me. yummy That was almost 2.5 years ago. I still couldn't understand her Teochew and had my hubby to translate to me in English.

my mother-in-law is 87 years old this year. To make sure I got it done properly, I now make the rice wine myself and would give her a bottle to use at home for her cooking. She also uses the rice lees to marinate chicken and use it to stir fry. She says it brings out the flavour of the chicken better.

yummy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Seafood All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: