Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:53 pm Post subject: Chestnut soup(rec n pic)
|This is one of the first few soups I learnt to cook as a young wife was the chestnut soup. It was easy to prepare and proved to be fail-proof too. My mom told me it is one of those soups where you throw all the ingredients into the pot and leave it to boil for several hours. In the past, she said that a charcoal stove was used to cook this soup in an earthern pot. These days with our modern kitchens, we are happy to have a slow cooker that will stay constantly warm to cook the soup.
The soup is sweetened by the chestnuts. Minimal salt is added for taste.
1000ml chicken stock
100g dried chestnuts
salt to taste
1. Soak chestnuts overnight in a pot of water. Break and remove the centre vein.
2. Drain and add chicken stock to boil.
3. Once it starts boiling, pour the soup into a slow cooker pot.
4. Add chestnuts and leave it to simmer over low heat for 4 hours or until chestnuts are soft.
5. Add salt to taste before serving.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1