Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Coconut Diet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Healthy Meals Every Day!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Coconut Diet Reply with quote

This is something I would like to share with you regarding the goodness of coconut whereby many of us are afraid of its oil content and calories
Below is the link.

http://www.coconutdiet.com/thyroid_health.htm

I searched for the coconut goodness when my sister-in-law told me that coconut is no longer a taboo in their family and have some health goodness instead.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindi

I think its best that one seeks medical advice before trying something like this.

In the link you have provided, it only promotes Virgin Coconut Oil. It didn't talk about Coconut milk.

In Asia we use coconut milk to cook curries, make our kuih-kuih, and even to cook rice. That is a known fact that it clogs up arteries and causes heart failure.

while an ingredient is good for one thing, too much of it causes some other side effects.

Also, this Virgin Coconut oil may sound or look very authentic, I wonder if its available here in Singapore or Malaysia. The ones we get, or if can get, I wonder if its 'real' or 'cheated'. After all, we never quite seen or smell the real thing. How would we know we are using the correct product.

My hubby has been on high blood pressure, cholestrol medication for years. The doctor adviced him to cut down on coconut-based food like curries, kuehs. So I have to re-do of my recipes to suit his health and diet.

We hardly use salt in our food. In fact, like the food I did for my daughter's birthday, the only dish that had salt was the pasta !

everything had no salt in it. yummy

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Mouse
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,
DO u have any recipes on low cholestrol diet for your hb to share?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Hi Gina,
DO u have any recipes on low cholestrol diet for your hb to share?

not really. Doctor advise him to cut back on seafood especially shell fish like prawns, crabs and coconut milk based food. And eat more steam food, less oily deep fried foods.

everything I cook at home is less oil, less salt, less sugar. I don't have specific recipes. I just re-do all the basic ones we eat everyday by cutting down on these.

most of the times we eat roasts or grilled food.

Mouse
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks Gina......

Hb was diagnosed with bad cholesterol level lately....whole family got paranoid suddenly!

Have been surfing alot since for better eating habits....
- All forms of berries/citrus fruits/apples helps in lowering cholesterol
- Partial switch to brown rice
- Drink green tea
- Take oatmeal regularly
- Cut down on seafood/deep fried things/eggs!!

Hope no medication required in 3 mths time when he goes back for review....

Pardon me, roast, does that mean baked using oven? Just had baked chicken tossed with spaghetti n steam broccoli n califlower, yummy!

Oh yes, U R AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! HAVE NEVER tasted fish paste noodle till today. Happened to chance upon it at amk market n oh mine it is so tasty n 'peculiar'. JUst trying my luck under 'noodle n pasta' thread and saw your post on this home-made noodle.........gonna try making soon!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse

its easier said than done. to switch from the food you are familiar with to something you never use to like.

my hubby tried brown rice, and oats. After a while, the smell gets to him and he cannot take it anymore. So I cook the regular food for him. The food we grew up loving.

just re-do the method of cooking. less oil, from less salt to NO-salt, less sugar. You may think it tastes bland. But my family is so used to it now that when we eat out, we find everything is too oily and too salty or too sweet.

His cholesterol level has dropped since. Has not been taking them for a year. But he goes back for full medical checkup every year just to make sure.

He still eats prawns or crabs. But only limit himself to 1 piece.

You cannot totally cut out by not eating anything. Unless you are chronically ill. Once in a while, one must indulge in something and enjoy.

Mouse
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Gina, I FOUND YOU!
Paisay, I really could not recall where this post has been posted under which thread till now I found you! Smile

I understand what you are trying to share here. It has almost been a month and true enough, every little changes taken starts to slacken! Exercise regime stopped after 2 wks only for hb!! Junk food wrappers also start to be found in the rubbish bin! HE refrained from taking red meat but slowly now, he starts to take again but with skin removed, if possible. That day, we were at a kids' party where kfc was served. KFC is not KFC if the skin are not eaten, so he ate but immediately remarked 'Gone case...............'
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
KFC is not KFC if the skin are not eaten, so he ate but immediately remarked 'Gone case...............'

Mouse, your dh very cute... Very Happy
Mouse
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwf,
Smile....yes he is, irritating at times too Smile!

Happy belated to you! Cheers!
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Kwf,
Smile....yes he is, irritating at times too Smile!

Happy belated to you! Cheers!

All hubbies are the same!

And thanks for your well wishes! Smile love
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Healthy Meals Every Day! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: