Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:02 am Post subject: Easy Water Chestnut Drink(recipe)
|My mother-in-law used to make this when her children are small. Inexpensive and very effective as a cooling drink during the hot dry seasons. I learnt how to make this by watching her.
2 kg fresh water chestnuts
500 g White Rock Sugar
200 g Winter Melon Strips(optional, by me actually!)
2 litres water
1. Wash and clean water chestnuts of dirt, soil.
2. Cut into half, use a large cleaver knife and smash it.
3. In a large pot, add 2 litres of water to boil.
4. Then add everything and simmer for 40 mins on medium heat.
5. Taste to see if its too sweet, just add more water, or add more rock sugar if its not sweet enough.
6. Strained and discard water chestnuts.
7. Store the liquid in water containers, and leave it in the fridge.
Preferably to drink this for 2 to 3 days and to take as much as 500ml each day during the hot weather months. It helps to prevent sore throat infection or to cure an on-going sore throat infection.
If you have time, cut away all the skin of the water chestnuts and diced it. After boiling it, you can even eat the diced water chestnuts as a cold dessert.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1