Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Chiffon Cheesecake (Recipe - Jas & Pic - Connie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kittykat
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lovely recipe and since then i have bake close to ten chiffon as the kids loves eating them. Out of the ten times of baking 3 of them was perfect but the more times i bake rather then improving , there is always setback such as the cake triple the size and have awful hollow crack .
Does overbeating or under beating the egg white causes for the cake to tripe the size? My oven was set at 160 -170C so i don't think its the heat. Beating the egg white always get to me even with much practicing , can i know what speed n how long do u beat the egg white? I'm using a kenwood mixer and i beat the egg white for at least 16min to reach peak.

Can you imagine when i have to flip over the cake and because its so tall it reaches n touches the table Embarassed
currycraze
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really soft, light & fluffy! Wink Thanks for the recipe! Smile

Forgot to give a bang before & after baking, that's why there are holes. :( May I know whether giving it a bang will make the cake shrink/collapse? island

Regards.
Sophie
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie

I made Chiffon Cheesecake last night for today's breakfast.

And this one just came out of the oven..Chiffon Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Everyone enjoyed the cakes. Thanks for sharing ther recipe.
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sophie the chiffon looks lovely and i like the structure of the cake tall and big.
Sophie can u share how to beat egg white to peak such as how mant mins and what speed as i'm always facing problem in that area.
Sophie did u follow the recipe exacly or did u double the portion of recipe as the cake looks big n tall. Mine looks small compared to yours...what size chiffon mould did u use or does the chiffon moulds comes in one size?
Sophie which tempreture did u use because i find that 170C for 45 mins my cakes brown fairly quickly. My oven is the Europa brand and did u used the fan bake to bake the chiffon.
Sophie after the cake is done and when u invert in over does the sides of the cake comes off easily because mine does ...does it mean its not bake enough.
My chiffon does not stand as majestic as yous as the end product is always not enough structure to hold the cake thus making the cake strunk in to smaller size.

thankyou
kittykat
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophie the peanuts butter chiffon looks yummy as well ...is it the same recipe and did u just add peanut butter into the batter ...how many gm to add . I love peanut butter and children will love this too. Which do u prefer though...the cheesechiffon or this peanut one.

thanks
Sophie
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittykat wrote:
Hi sophie the chiffon looks lovely and i like the structure of the cake tall and big.
Thank you dear.
Sophie can u share how to beat egg white to peak such as how mant mins and what speed as i'm always facing problem in that area.
I use Kenwood Major to beat the egg whites. White eggs, cream of tartar and salt beat until foamy. Than add sugar gradually and continue to beat with speed 5 for less than 2 minutes altogether.The consistency should be like what Connie showed..smooth but stiff. If it breaks and lumpy, that's overbeating. You will get cracks on the cake.
Sophie did u follow the recipe exacly or did u double the portion of recipe as the cake looks big n tall. Mine looks small compared to yours...what size chiffon mould did u use or does the chiffon moulds comes in one size?
I followed the exact portion. I sieved ingredients A. I use tube pan that is 8 inches in diameter at the bottom and 9 inches at the top. Size varies.
Sophie which tempreture did u use because i find that 170C for 45 mins my cakes brown fairly quickly. My oven is the Europa brand and did u used the fan bake to bake the chiffon.
I use 170C for 45-50 minutes. My oven brand is Smeg and it's 13 years old. (Smeg is my bestest friend. If it dies on me, I will mourn for 100 days.....and then buy a new friend..hahaha.. choi..) Actually..I don't know if it's a fan bake oven. Embarassed I don't see any fan in the oven but heat does pass out of the oven while baking. Reduce your temperature to 150-160C.
Sophie after the cake is done and when u invert in over does the sides of the cake comes off easily because mine does ...does it mean its not bake enough.
Yes.. you didn't bake enough and DO NOT GREASE your mould. I invert immediately after taking it out of the oven. COOL COMPLETELY, use the fan if you can't wait. I have a good 0.2 cm of brown crust all over the cake to hold it in the mould. I had to use a knife to loosen it.
My chiffon does not stand as majestic as yous as the end product is always not enough structure to hold the cake thus making the cake strunk in to smaller size.
While baking, the cake rises and has a dome top. When the dome falls almost flat and parallel, that's the sign that the cake is done. Give it another 5-7 minutes for the cake to brown even further. The brown crust will help to hold it's shape and height.
thankyou

lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittykat wrote:
sophie the peanuts butter chiffon looks yummy as well ...is it the same recipe and did u just add peanut butter into the batter ...how many gm to add . I love peanut butter and children will love this too. Which do u prefer though...the cheesechiffon or this peanut one.

thanks

Kittykat

It's the same recipe. I add 35g of peanut butter to ingredients A. Double boil, sieve than add 3 drops of brown colouring.. which is optional. I sieve because the cheese didn't melt properly. If you want totally peanut butter, substitute the cheese quantity to peanut butter.

I hope I've helped enough. Smile
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sophie,

Yr chiffon very nice. My tefal oven hv a upper+lower+fan heat function and a lower+fan heat function. Which function should I use to bake the chiffon cake. Should I place the shelf to the lowest level in the oven cause the tin is quite tall and my oven is quite small.

TIA
kittykat
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you sophie for your detailed guidence and hope to further improved in making the chiffon cake.
Sophie ,i'm using a kenwood mixer as well ...when beating the egg white till frothy do u start up a low speed 3 to beat till frothy and then increase the speed to 5 for 2 min. So the whole beating of egg white proses will take like 3 mins in all issit.
Sophie i'm not sure if 2 mins is sufficent to get it to stiff peak as it takes me like 10 mins at speed 4 to have it at stiff peak. Where did i go wrong?

Thank you
sspaks
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophie, I love ur pics of both chiffon cheesecakes! They look so light and cottony. May i ask whether u placed the chiffon cake tin on the lowest shelf in the oven? Or the 2nd shelf, which is just below the middle shelf ( 3rd shelf ) ? Thanks!
Sophie
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kwa4165

Use upper+lower+fan. Since your oven is small, put on the lowest level and I think you should lower your temp. by 10C. If the top browns half way before baking time, throw a piece of aluminium foil over the cake.
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kittykat"]thank you sophie for your detailed guidence and hope to further improved in making the chiffon cake.
Sophie ,i'm using a kenwood mixer as well ...when beating the egg white till frothy do u start up a low speed 3 to beat till frothy and then increase the speed to 5 for 2 min. So the whole beating of egg white proses will take like 3 mins in all issit.
The reason for starting slow is to prevent the eggs from splattering all over the place. Start slow for only 10-15 seconds and then start speed 5. Altogether less than 2 minutes.
Sophie i'm not sure if 2 mins is sufficent to get it to stiff peak as it takes me like 10 mins at speed 4 to have it at stiff peak. Where did i go wrong?
For you...I baked another cake Very Happy (the cake goes to my MIL) just to time how long I took to beat the egg whites to stiff peak. 1 1/2 minutes only. If it takes you 10 minutes, check this few things before you start beating the eggs.

Use only fresh eggs. When you break an egg, the egg yoke must be mounted and there's a ring of thick egg white coating it. But if the egg yoke falls flat and the egg white is watery, the egg is not fresh. Even if you manage to beat the not fresh eggs to a peak, once you fold in with the batter, you lose the air very fast.

Mixer bowl and whisk must be clean and dry. Free from dust, grease and water. No trace of egg yokes on egg whites too.[/color]
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sspaks wrote:
Sophie, I love ur pics of both chiffon cheesecakes! They look so light and cottony. May i ask whether u placed the chiffon cake tin on the lowest shelf in the oven? Or the 2nd shelf, which is just below the middle shelf ( 3rd shelf ) ? Thanks!

My oven has 4 shelves. I use the 2nd from the bottom.
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you sifu sophie...hugs n kisses for baking another cake on my account.
Now my confidence have incresed way high in tackling the egg whites...i shall follow your instruction and as a matter of fact...i will bake the chiffon cake now ...shall post you with the good news Very Happy

rgds
kittykat
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i'm back from making the chiffon cake...it was an unsucessful attempt.

The cake did not rise as the height was only half of the mould. I think overbeat the egg white for like 1mins because had to pick up the phone.

Sophie when you beat the egg white and when its ready...and you hold up the ballon whisk does a lot of egg white stick to the whisk..because mine does ...like a big lump...does this means its over beaten.

When i try to mix the batter to the whites it takes me longer to mix as the whites was kind of hard to mix in . Does it means i over beaten the whites rite? Its surpossed to be easy mixing rite!

I think i'll try baking again until i get it rite.

rgds
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kittykat

Sorry, I have not been active logging into forum these days. Sophie has given you very detailed guidance. Thanks to Sophie for helping out.

From what you described, you have overbeat your egg white. The egg white should be smooth and stiff. If it is lumpy, it is overbeaten. Your cake will not rise because the bubbles break during the long process of mixing overbeaten egg white into egg yolk mixture.

Rgds, Connie
kittykat
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks connie ...i love yr recipe and have tried baking them a few times. My mom loves eating them .
What have i done wrongly if the chiifon cake does not have a good strong struture meaning when i cut the cake instead of standing nicely ..the cake is soft and collaps easily. Is it because i have under-beaten the egg white and it has not reach stiff peak yet that hace cause this to happen?
kittykat
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to bake my chiffon cake today. Still need improvement though but nevertheless its very soft and delicious. Thanks connie for the recipe and Sophie for the guidence .

connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kittykat

That is nice looking chiffon cake you have there. I am glad you are improving and happy that you like it! As for myself, I have not been baking for long time. Getting rusty! Ha ha!

Pertaining to your earlier question abt the chiffon cake structure that is soft and collapse easily, I do know that certain chiffon cake recipe yield extremely soft cake structure and wont stand properly like my banana chiffon cake.

There wont be enough air bubbles if the egg white is under beaten. I believe the cake will not rise tall and there might be a densed layer at the bottom.

Rgds, Connie
yoan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe yesterday. I really love the taste & texture. Thanks for sharing

But I have a question. I realise the base of the cake is a bit moist. When I lift up the cake from the plate, there will be something like a piece of "skin" sticking to the plate. Do you happen to know why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Minimour
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just baked this today, it was very moist n soft and an easy cake to bake, thanks for sharing! My boy really digs this! yummy
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose this as my first chiffon cake to try since i've got cream cheese in my fridge. End up I failed terribly. bawling tears

The bottom of my cake is curved after I unlodge it from the tin.

While baking it rises like a dome but never sink even when out of the oven. So I immediately invert the pan. Two hours later when I unlodge the cake, find the big curve. bawling tears

Anyone knows what went wrong?
Lanie
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your cake caved in KWF. I had the same problem. It rose beautifuly in the oven but once I took it out it started sinking, so like you I quickly turned it upside down to try and save it only to find it just sank on the other end. Didn't affect the taste though, it was still soft and melt in the mouth delicious!!! I actually had the same problem when I tried making Cottonsoft Japanese Cheesecake. Don't know why, I would love to perfect it someday though.

You can try the Pineapple Chiffon cake I posted here. I usually make it with Mango Nectar and Mango extract. You can vary the flavor to your liking, it's never failed me. However, the texture is not as satiny and delicate as Connie's Cheese Chiffon.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lanie. I will definitely try your cake. But first I have to know what went wrong with this, otherwise I worry I may end up having the same mistake for every Chiffon Cake. My cake tastes soft, but not like a chiffon, more like a baked cheesecake.

And thanks for letting me know the correct word "cave in". Couldn't think of a proper description for it...lol...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Say Cheese! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: