Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Teochew Steamed Fish(recipe n pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Teochew Steamed Fish(recipe n pic) Reply with quote

Every Chinese New Year, my mother-in-law would serve this dish on the first day of the festivities. This simple yet beloved dish is steamed with salted plums, ginger and spring onions. My mother-in-law would go the market to get the freshest pomfret and would cook it on the same day.

Ingredients:
1 pomfret
1 salted plum
1cm young ginger, shredded
1 stalk spring onion, cut into long sections

seasoning
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
50ml water

coriander leaves, for garnishing

Method:
1. Wash and clean the pomfret. Deseed the salted plum and add the pulp with the seasoning.
2. Line a deep dish with white part of the spring onions then place the pomfret on it.
3. Pour the seasoning over the fish and garnish with shredded ginger and spring onions.
4. Steam in rapid water for 5 minutes, covered. Turn off the fire and leave it covered to stand for another 5 minutes.
5. Remove the fish and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.

Notes:
Lining the dish with spring onions prevents the fish from sticking to the plate after it

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina - the way your mother in law does her steamed fish is indeed very Teochew. Delicious.

You can try this recipe with seabass and it also taste delicious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruyi

I have done it with seabass too. But hubby don't like seabass. will grumble if I use seabass. sad I think its because of the seabass that are sold here in Singapore..it has that muddy smell. so how?

cook4me
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gina,

the photography looks great, i have tried this a few times and the plum usually comes out too salty for me, do you presoak them. the "enriched" version I like also contains salted tsientsin vegetables, lardons and huatiao rice wine.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cook4me

if I use the salted plums, I don't add any salt. And I added water as you can see in the recipe. My mother in law likes it very salty as she would eat this with plain porridge or rice.

I don't presoak the plums. as it might lose its flavour. you might want to add a bit more water or cut down the light soy sauce. Its one dish I love the most. simple and nice..very homey feeling when you eat this with family. Smile

zermatt-gal
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Cook Reply with quote

Hi Gina, may I know if this salted plum is the same as sour plums which are soak in a bottle? If not, may I know the brand for it. I would like to try for cny too. Thanks.
daz
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cooked this a few times, however I think Preserved Mustard leaf is missing from the ingredients. It need the Sour type.

Also I will replace the Sesame oil with Normal peanut oil as the former smell is too much for such a simple steam dish. In my younger days, pork fat strips are added too.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz wrote:
I have cooked this a few times, however I think Preserved Mustard leaf is missing from the ingredients. It need the Sour type.

Also I will replace the Sesame oil with Normal peanut oil as the former smell is too much for such a simple steam dish. In my younger days, pork fat strips are added too.

Daz

to each his or her own. This IS my mother-in-law's recipe which she has taught me. Which her son(my hubby) grew up on. That familiar smell, taste and flavour. Something I had to follow and pass on to my kids. Its not about what is missing, what is the right ingredient to use..I am sharing what she has taught me...and hopefully passed on her legacy too. Smile

Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz wrote:

Daz: Gina is making seung bhue chue heu 酸梅炊魚. You are thinking of giamchai cheu heu 鹹菜炊魚. I think sesame oil is very personal.

Yes, I did remember my mum adding porks fat stirps : ngou heu nek 五花肉 on top of the fish. However, nowadays people seldom use this for health reasons. Our grandparents also used chang chu la 蔥趨朥 onto the steamed fish. Again for health reasons nobody add this anymore. Imagine frying the shallots in lard! However, people now use chang iu 蔥油 shallots fried in oil.

However, how Gina makes the steamed fish is just like how some of my friends make this dish in Swatow and Teochew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Seafood All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: