Joined: 27 Jul 2007
|Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:33 pm Post subject: Dashi Stock
|This is how I make my dashi stock. First dashi stock to be used for clear soup (soup base for udon too). Second dashi stock for simmered dishes or miso soup.
Below recipes yields 4 bowls of soup each.
First Dashi stock
20g bonito flakes
50ml cold water
1) In a pan, soak konbu with water for an hour.
2) Over medium heat, bring almost to a boil.
3) Remove the konbu and reserve for second dashi stock.
4) Bring water to boil.
5) Add cold water, add bonito flakes immediately.
6) Bring water to boil and remove from heat. (Do not stir)
7) After the flakes have settled at the bottom of pan, strain to get the first dashi stock. (Reserve the flakes)
Second Dashi stock
15g bonito flakes
Reserved konbu and bonito flakes
1) In a pan, put the reserved konbu and bonito flakes and water.
2) Bring to boil and then simmer for 15 mins.
3) Add in the bonito flakes and remove from heat immediately.
4) Skim off any scum and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
Note : If you are making miso soup, it is important to know that you are not supposed to boil the miso. Add miso at the very last.