Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
EARL GREY CUPCAKES with a Citrus and Vanilla Bean Creme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Muffins & Cupcakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: EARL GREY CUPCAKES with a Citrus and Vanilla Bean Creme Reply with quote

After running into Gina last week,I couldn't resist making a trip down to her store (finally!) and I bought myself the acclaimed Yuzu Paste as well as a bottle of powdered Earl Grey, specially formulated for baking.

Gina knew that I was chasing after that nuanced earl grey flavour which always fades away when it hits the oven heat, no matter how concentrated a tea I had mixed into my cake batters in the past.
So in the shop,she immediately pointed out the powdered Earl Grey which I pounced upon and literally shrieked with delight.
Needless to say,I had to try this out during the weekend and there it was:
a soft,fluffy cupcake nicely perfumed with earl grey. The bergamot in the earl grey was further enhanced with a whipped cream cheese frosting to which I added some vanilla bean,yuzu paste and fresh lemon zest.
This made my weekend...Gina I'll be back for more!

YOU NEED:
150g salted butter, softened
180g caster sugar
3 eggs
150ml milk

Sieve:
225 grams SR flour
2 heaped tsp powdered Earl Grey tea

Cream butter and sugar. Add in eggs one by one, it will look slightly curdled.
Add 1/2 of flour, mix gently into batter. Mix in milk, then gently mix in the rest of the flour, it will be a thick,mousse-like batter.
Bake @ 170 degrees celsius (preheated), for 15 - 18 mins till an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Meanwhile, when the cakes are baking:
Beat 1 tub (250g) of Philadelphia Whipped Cream Cheese with the seeds from half a vanilla bean,1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 heaped tsp Yuzu paste and the zest of 1 lemon.
Sift in 1/3 cup of icing sugar, mix and taste. Add more sifted icing sugar if you want.
Place in the fridge to firm up.

Leave cakes to cool completely then frost generously with the citrus and vanilla bean creme.
hammy
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds YUMMY. Thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Muffins & Cupcakes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: