Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Hainanese Beef Noodles Soup or Dry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Red Meats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Hainanese Beef Noodles Soup or Dry Reply with quote

Hainanese Beef noodles with soup

Hainanese Beef noodles with dry beef stock paste

Ingredients:
500g Beef shin(cut into big cubes 1 inch thickness)
500g Oxtripe(cooked, sold in supermarkets)
500g Beef Tendon
1 packet of Beef balls
1 packet of Beef Tendon Balls
3 large onions(cut into quarters)
60ml Dark Soya Sauce(I only use Tiger Brand)
60ml Light Soya Sauce(any brand will do)
2 cinnamon sticks
5 pcs star aniseed
10 pcs of cloves
2 tbsp white peppercorns
Salt to taste
Chinese parsley
Bean sprouts

Method:
1. in a large pot, add tap water to half full. Boil till water is boiling, bubbling.
2. add in all the ingredients except peppercorns, beef balls and salt
3. Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours.
4. Check after 1 hour to ensure water has not dried up. Stir to mix it.
5. Add peppercorns and beef balls after the 1st hour.
6. After 2 hours, add salt to taste.

To serve with noodles(hawker style)
in a bowl, add noodles, beansprouts(uncooked). Scoop beef soup plus meat over it. Garnish with parsley.

To make the dry version:
Separate the soup in another sauce pot. Add potato starch mixed with water and stir into the hot soup sauce pot till it thickens. the amount of potato starch to use stir into the hot soup sauce pot till it thickens. the amount of potato starch to use depends on how much soup you have.

Note:
You can have this as a soup dish with just plain rice. Its better to use Beef shin as the meat is tough and with slow cooking, it makes it tender. You can also use a Crockpot to do this. Just add half of everything as most crockpot is not large enough to contain all the beef and water.

If you use a Crockpot(slow cooker), you may need to cook for at least 4 to 6 hours depending on the amount of meat you have added.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:17 am; edited 5 times in total
aloyallyanders
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,
Your beef noodles looked so good. But I don't know how to buy and cook beef. :( The hainanese beef noodles really made me salivate...
Do you have workshop to cook this? I would like to learn wor...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane

my late ah gong didn't teach me to do this. Its my mom. And she didn't teach me by showing me. Just nag nag nag on the phone. It took me almost 3 years to perfect it and wrote down every step of how to do it properly.

Only to find out that my late Father in law used to sell Teochew version of Beef noodles. Its my FIL who taught me how to do the dry version.

I loved all the cooks in my family!!! Smile

I thought you said you don't eat red meat? yummy

aloyallyanders
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! Your dialect group is supposed to be good in beef noodles is it? It's not easy to find a good stall that sells good beef noodles. It must be rather difficult to make a good one. Needs practice is it?

Oh, I'm cutting down on red meat. Not me who don't eat, if you read my blog, it's my sister. Heehee... Very Happy I'll eat once a while. I like beef actually. Hey, conduct a workshop at your place with the Theme-Beef. I want to learn your dry beef noodles, and also stew beef and beef pies. Razz I simply love the chunky beef in the beef pies which I had in Aussie a decade ago. Yummy. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
michlhw
lurker

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: yummy! Reply with quote

thanks so much for your recipe. It's very similar to the one i've tried. I'm curious though.. really no canned beef stock or beef cubes? The ones i love (such as the beef noodles at the now defunct picnic at orchard road) have this salty, savory beefy taste that i was not able to replicate using just beef neck bones, pressure-cooked.

any suggestions? and as always, thank you for sharing your recipes. it is so generous of you!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because they cheated and use beef cubes or loads of msg.

the traditional way of cooking this would make the soup sweet, not salty.

michlhw
lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: beef noodles attempt #2, 3, 4 Reply with quote

hi Gina!

As i type i am making my second batch of beef noodles, but the first time trying out your recipe. i'll be making two other batches, tweaking them here and there to compare them.

one question for you: what is your opinion on par-boiling bones and meats before turning them into soup? my mom always taught me to boil the scum out of them before using the pieces, and i think that gives me a clearer broth, but i wonder if i just wash the pieces under some cold water and simmer them in the soup instead of turning it up to a hard boil will achieve the same clear-soup effect?

what are your thoughts? hope your travels are going well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Red Meats All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: