Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Dark Rye Bread

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Dark Rye Bread Reply with quote



180g bread flour
60g wholegrain rye flour
5g instant yeast
1g salt
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp instant coffee granules
120g water

How does this look? This goes fantastically well with a strong flavored cheese and cured meat.

I'm looking for cane proofing baskets and metal peels. Anyone knows where I can find them in Singapore?


Last edited by mosfat on Mon May 17, 2010 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina
super Chief


Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 5174
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look great.

2 Things to ask:

1. Can you resize the photo smaller? like 6x4 inches? Too big for the screen. In case others don't have large screens to view the whole picture.

2. Do you have recipe? If not, this photo goes into Daily Bread.
All sections here MUST have Recipes with Photos.
_________________
Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Look great.

2 Things to ask:

1. Can you resize the photo smaller? like 6x4 inches? Too big for the screen. In case others don't have large screens to view the whole picture.

2. Do you have recipe? If not, this photo goes into Daily Bread.
All sections here MUST have Recipes with Photos.


Thanks for the tip.. Added recipe to post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina
super Chief


Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 5174
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosfat

Proofing baskets: as someone here mentioned..just use the regular plastic baskets will do. Its not a special basket.

Just find one that fits your type of bread.

what are metal peels?
_________________
Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
limaupurut
lurker


Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosfat : your bread looks awesome. Can you please let me know, how many rises and what temp did you bake it at and for how long. TIA

Gina : The peel Mosfat mentioned are those long-handled contraptions that bakers and pizza makers use to slide free formed bread loaves and pizzas onto baking stones in the oven. You can usually find these peels either made of wood or metal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina
super Chief


Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 5174
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that! Smile Didn't know its called a peel.

I really missed eating this kind of bread. These days have no time to do anything.
_________________
Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are proofing baskets.. I have 2. ( round and oval) Its made of rattan and coiled so that the indentations show very well .
maybe you can get it cheaper in Singapore rattan shops ??( Dunno if they still exist)
http://store.brickovenbaker.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=banneton&gclid=CJjb5vjL2qECFcRM5QodVH_yJQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limaupurut wrote:
Mosfat : your bread looks awesome. Can you please let me know, how many rises and what temp did you bake it at and for how long. TIA

Gina : The peel Mosfat mentioned are those long-handled contraptions that bakers and pizza makers use to slide free formed bread loaves and pizzas onto baking stones in the oven. You can usually find these peels either made of wood or metal.


limaupurut:
Thanks for the compliment. This was just my sophomore attempt so it was a simple straight dough (as opposed to more fanciful sourdough/sponge dough). Just 2 resting periods; first one for bulk fermentation 60 mins, and the second one for final proof after shaping also 60 mins. Finally, the dough rested for about 10 min after slashing.

The bread went into the oven when the thermometer read 200 deg C, but then the temperature was allowed to fall to 180 deg C. If it matters, the temperature of my baking stone was around 160 deg C when the bread was removed from the oven. Baking time was 20+ mins.


Last edited by mosfat on Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PutuPiring wrote:
There are proofing baskets.. I have 2. ( round and oval) Its made of rattan and coiled so that the indentations show very well .
maybe you can get it cheaper in Singapore rattan shops ??( Dunno if they still exist)
http://store.brickovenbaker.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=banneton&gclid=CJjb5vjL2qECFcRM5QodVH_yJQ


Is this retailer reliable? There are many online retailers of bannetons, just that they are all overseas. Shipping fees aside, there is the problem with items going missing if shipped via USPS.

BTW, I think it is essential to use proofing baskets as the dough is very soft (due to the lack of gluten in rye) and the bread may turn out like a flat bread if left to proof without support from a basket. In addition, specialized baskets are better as the gaps between the coils help the dusting flour to distribute evenly over the basket surface.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mosfat']Is this retailer reliable? There are many online retailers of bannetons, just that they are all overseas. Shipping fees aside, there is the problem with items going missing if shipped via USPS.

BTW, I think it is essential to use proofing baskets as the dough is very soft (due to the lack of gluten in rye) and the bread may turn out like a flat bread if left to proof without support from a basket. In addition, specialized baskets are better as the gaps between the coils help the dusting flour to distribute evenly over the basket surface.[/quote]

This is my regular supplier for about 14-15 years and they are very good at getting me special order items too:
http://kitchenware.goldaskitchen.com/search?w=proofing+baskets&asug=&x=10&y=2 If you order from overseas, they dont charge the taxes GST and PST and since they have a minimum postage, it would be advisable to get a few more items
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina
super Chief


Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 5174
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosfat

I saw the baskets at Phoon Huat at Hollang Village. But never see it in the other Phoon Huat branches. Maybe they think its catered to the expats living there.

Smile
_________________
Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
mosfat

I saw the baskets at Phoon Huat at Hollang Village. But never see it in the other Phoon Huat branches. Maybe they think its catered to the expats living there.

Smile


Great. I will check it out.

Also, I have found a supplier that sells plastic proofing baskets that are easily washable. Please see Marketplace for the post if interested.

www.herbert-birnbaum.de
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
limaupurut
lurker


Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limaupurut:
Thanks for the compliment. This was just my sophomore attempt so it was a simple straight dough (as opposed to more fanciful sourdough/sponge dough). Just 2 resting periods; first one for bulk fermentation 60 mins, and the second one for final proof after shaping also 60 mins. Finally, the dough rested for about 10 min after slashing.

The bread went into the oven when the thermometer read 200 deg C, but then the temperature was allowed to fall to 180 deg C. If it matters, the temperature of my baking stone was around 160 deg C when the bread was removed from the oven. Baking time was 20+ mins.[/quote]

Thanks Mosfat. For a sophomore attempt, it's very impressive. cheers Now must go get some more rye flour to make your bread. Smile love

BTW, instead of proofing baskets, have you tried to proof your wet dough in a couche. I made my own by lining a round bowl with store-bought linen. Cheaper than buying a banneton. Cheeky grin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
mosfat

I saw the baskets at Phoon Huat at Hollang Village. But never see it in the other Phoon Huat branches. Maybe they think its catered to the expats living there.

Smile






Exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks! Bought one at about $23 at Phoon Huat HV. Dimensions are 29x14x7 cm. Though it is marked "500g", my guess is that is probably only good enough for a 400g dough.

For anyone who's interested, there's only 2 remaining when I left.

Wonder if they have round ones as well.


Last edited by mosfat on Sat May 22, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limaupurut wrote:


Thanks Mosfat. For a sophomore attempt, it's very impressive. cheers Now must go get some more rye flour to make your bread. Smile love

BTW, instead of proofing baskets, have you tried to proof your wet dough in a couche. I made my own by lining a round bowl with store-bought linen. Cheaper than buying a banneton. Cheeky grin


Good idea. Do you really use Linen linen or cotton tea-towels? I've used an improvised couche (a "Good Morning" terry-towel) and it worked reasonably well. Only problem was that it was a tad bit too small, and it wasn't stiff enough to mold the bread (especially high hydration ones).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


New basket.


Commencing final proof.


Final proof.


Bread meets razor.


Ready to eat.


Crumb was slightly dense relative to the "normal" white bread. I suppose this is expected?

200g bread flour
100g wholegrain rye flour
5g instant yeast
3g salt
3 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp instant coffee granules
150g water

A pity that the loaf didn't rise as much as I wanted it to during the proof. The baked weight was about 500g. A hefty and dense loaf. Thankfully the bottom passed the "tap test".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Metal peel Reply with quote



Can't believe that I found it! Bought it from Sia Huat at Temple St.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina
super Chief


Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 5174
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh..so nice! how much did you pay for this?
_________________
Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
limaupurut
lurker


Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mosfat"]
limaupurut wrote:


Good idea. Do you really use Linen linen or cotton tea-towels? I've used an improvised couche (a "Good Morning" terry-towel) and it worked reasonably well. Only problem was that it was a tad bit too small, and it wasn't stiff enough to mold the bread (especially high hydration ones).


Hi Mosfat. I had a linen and a cotton towel, but unfortunately lost my linen one. For the life of me I can't find it. Have been meaning to get another piece from my fabric store but keep forgetting.

BTW, I made your rye loaf yesterday and it turned out really nice. The vinegar gave it a slight tang which reminded me of sourdough. I did wonder how the vinegar would affect the loaf. Cheeky grin I added a bit of wholewheat flour to the recipe and really like the rye-ww combo.

And glad you managed to find your peel. Many happy baking days ahead!! Smile love
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
oh..so nice! how much did you pay for this?


Gina, paid $28 for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mosfat
lurker


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limaupurut wrote:


Hi Mosfat. I had a linen and a cotton towel, but unfortunately lost my linen one. For the life of me I can't find it. Have been meaning to get another piece from my fabric store but keep forgetting.

BTW, I made your rye loaf yesterday and it turned out really nice. The vinegar gave it a slight tang which reminded me of sourdough. I did wonder how the vinegar would affect the loaf. Cheeky grin I added a bit of wholewheat flour to the recipe and really like the rye-ww combo.

And glad you managed to find your peel. Many happy baking days ahead!! Smile love


According to what I've read, the acidic environment created by vinegar/sourdough slows the amylase in the rye flour. Without the acid, the amylase breaks down the gluten, resulting in a bread that lacks structure.

Yup, the peel is definitely a must when a baking stone is used.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
limaupurut
lurker


Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting about the amylase. I'm going to use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar next time I make this and maybe reduce the amount a tad as well. See if it makes a diff in flavor and structure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group