Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Traditional Glutinous Rice Wine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Traditional Glutinous Rice Wine Reply with quote

Hi Gina,
I am wondering whether you or someone out there might know how to make glutinous rice wine? Thanks.

Lena.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

no idea on how to make this. But found it at Cyber Kuali site. Here's the link. Also, dunno where to buy the Yeast ball that it said to be used to ferment the rice.

http://202.186.86.35/kuali/recipes/18beh0602.html#glutinous

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Lena

no idea on how to make this. But found it at Cyber Kuali site. Here's the link. Also, dunno where to buy the Yeast ball that it said to be used to ferment the rice.

http://202.186.86.35/kuali/recipes/18beh0602.html#glutinous

Thank You Gina for your time spent to help me find the recipe. Don't worry I know where to find the yeast to ferment the rice. At the chinece medical shop. I will try it out and hopefully to post some result. Thank U again.

Lena.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

my mom told me that some of these wines that are made/manufactured in China, imported here for sale are fermented with many unmensionable ingredients..like Dog's penis, lizards,.. :shock:

thus the reason why people prefer to make this at home.

ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Lena

my mom told me that some of these wines that are made/manufactured in China, imported here for sale are fermented with many unmensionable ingredients..like Dog's penis, lizards,.. :shock:

thus the reason why people prefer to make this at home.

Oh dear!!!! Now knowing this make me even more determine to try to make it by my self!!!! Really we do not know what they are feeding us now a days!!!!. Most of the time, we (my family) would usually eat at home. We find it too much fuss to dress up for one meal. Only now they (my children) would go out with their own peers and have their meals out side. My hubby and I love to try out new dishes that we think is good or authentic. So you can see how inquisitive I am to try out new things or food.

Thanks Gina.
Lena.
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Failed glutinous Rice Wine Reply with quote

Gina,

My first try to make the glutinous rice wine FAILED :( . After three days it gave out very nice fragrance and I when to have a peeped and I could see some droplets around the jar Very Happy . I gave it a few shakes, thinking it will help the processed faster But I think I shouldn
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite getting the recipe from various places/url links, this is something I really have to try to see if it works the way it is mentioned. Apparently NOT! There is much speculation and superstition that goes into making your own wine at home.

I tried this on my own for 3 times. Only succeeded the 3rd time. Now I am trying again. this time using just regular rice to make the wine.

After 72 hours, you should see liquid forming in the centre of the rice.

Sieve and strain wine. This is ready for drinking consumption or for cooking. Best to be kept in the fridge.

This is how the yeast ball looks like.

Ingredients:
1 kg Black glutinous rice
half piece of yeast (chow paeng)

Method:
1. Wash and soak black glutinous rice overnight.
2. Drain well then steam rice for 30 minutes.
3. After steaming, run it thru tap water to wash again.
4. Let it to drain and cooled.
5. Crush and ground the yeast ball till powdery.
6. Add grounded yeast to rice to toss and mix.
7. Put rice into a porcelain pot that has a cover.
8. Cover the pot with its cover and leave it to ferment for 72 hours(3 days)
9. Put the porcelain pot in a cooled and dry place, away from direct heat and sunlight.

Notes:
I found out that you can actually use any kind of pot. Not necessarily to be an earthern pot or claypot. Best to use a glass pot with a cover so that you can see the contents and the process of fermentation.

Also, I achieved better results in fermentation when I left the pot in my bedroom where it was much cooler than the kitchen.

With my 1st 2 tries, I realised now my mistakes were:

1. Rice was wet when yeast was added. Though it smells like wine, the wine was murky not clear.
2. Rice was overcooked(too soft). The rice turn black and smelly and no wine was collected.

I am still trying now. With 2 new batches of rice.

The regular white Glutinous Rice
regular jasmine rice to make Rice Wine

Last edited by Gina on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,
This evening I went to peep at my second try of the glutinous rice wine. It
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

you sound like my mom! when I was making Kueh Bangkit, she told me that its very pan-tang and best to NOT touch the fried flour to mix with coconut milk. but to let it sit for a day. but I couldn't wait so long..so I just go ahead and try it.

about the wine..MIL said that sometimes weather temperature plays an important role in fermentation.

I have 2 pots at home..one is for rice wine and the other is Glutinous rice wine..and see what happens later...

pem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltan wrote:
It
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Lena

you sound like my mom! when I was making Kueh Bangkit, she told me that its very pan-tang and best to NOT touch the fried flour to mix with coconut milk. but to let it sit for a day. but I couldn't wait so long..so I just go ahead and try it.

about the wine..MIL said that sometimes weather temperature plays an important role in fermentation.

I have 2 pots at home..one is for rice wine and the other is Glutinous rice wine..and see what happens later...

Gina.
I? like you
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, you will only see the rice grains (a little mushy looking) on top (floating). The liquid (wine) is underneath. It should be ready when you can smell the wine.[/quote]

Hi Pem,
Thanks for your info. I went to look again at my wine and I even went as far as to used a chop stick to poke at it but it do not have the things u mentioned. It looks a bit swelled and have a nice fragrant that
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Glutinous rice wine Reply with quote

Gina.
My hubby has found this site. I thought you might like to have a look at:
http://www.trax2.com/stickyrice/stickyrice-wine.html

Lena
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

interesting..my first batch turn yellow island: my 2nd batch was a little promising..but smelt like dead carcass. Though there is a tiny bit of wine appearing at the bottom of the pot.

but the smell really puts me off.

I'm going to try again..using the link you provided..and see what happens.

need to go and shop for glutinous rice again.

yannbin
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody show me wat kind of container to brew this wine. And where can i get it from . I wanna try out this recipe . Thanks
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yannbin

you don't need any special container. Just get an earthern pot from China town. my MIL used to have a large Dragon urn to make this wine. Now she use it to grow her pandan leaf plant! :shock:

I have an earthern pot(small one) to use for this. costs $10 from NTUC. I just wanted to try it. If I am successful, then I'll ask hubby to go to chinatown with me to cart back a bigger pot.

ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,
We tried it out and it really taken that soon to get the wine. I am not very sure whether the wine should turn out the way it is. It has quite a nice fragrant But it looks a bit cloudy may be because my dh tried to extract all he can get out of it. I think we should let it drip drown by itself. FYI. We used 2 pieces of the yeast. Maybe that could be the cause too. I hope u will get a better result. I send the wine to someone who has made this type wine before to see whether it is what it should be. I will only know by tomorrow. Right now I have about 1000 ml of home made wine to cook :!: I dare not try to drink it in case I get
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

send some over..! Razz Mr. Green very shiok for cooking rice wine chicken..a traditional hakka dish..

makan_kaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, what does rice wine taste like?
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makan_kaki wrote:
I'm curious, what does rice wine taste like?

Hi makan_kaki,
Since u are curious to know what the taste is like, I just went to take a sip at it and it tastes slightly sweet and silghtly sour. I am not very good at describing it but one thing I must say it taste quite nice. Very Happy Well have a go at it.
The verdict from my friend
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del

according to my hubby dearest who has tasted home made wine..he says its a bit like Japanese sake or mirin.

Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

I made 2 batches of the wine.

With the first, the wine turn murky(milky). So i threw it out.
With the 2nd, the rice turn BLACK! and threw it out.

On Sunday, we visited MIL and I told her what I did and what happened.

And she said that I should buy Black Glutinous Rice to make wine. coz she use that too. Black G.Rice is better and the wine is more fragrant.

Yesterday, I visited my aunt(Spice Girl--my cousin's mom)..I told her about this wine and she told me her best friend makes it with ease. I ask her about all the 'pantang' (superstition) about the process of making the wine. She told me its all lies or old wives' tale. As the old people do not handover their culinary skills just like that, thus all the stories of how to make it thrives till today!

Goodness!

With that in mind, I now have 2 pots of rice to make wine. Hopefully, this time round, I shall be successful.

One pot is Black Glutinous Rice, 2nd pot is the regular white Glutinous Rice.

Auntie says to get a glass pot to make the wine..so you can see the progress of the fermentation without opening the cover to peek.

Auntie also says that the pot must be kept in a bedroom, away from the kitchen. No wonder MIL said must put under the bed. It has to be away from light(HEAT). As coolness, helps fermentation better.

!!

ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,
I pei fu nee
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

I succeeded in my 3rd batch using the Black Glutinous Rice to make wine. That's according to MIL's recipe. I phoned my mom last night telling her and she told me that there is another way of making it which is the 1 month old wine. The steps involved according to her was very tedious. Much more steps involved than this 72 hours wine.

This Black Glutinous Rice Wine smells and looks like the regular Red Wine..but tastes like chinese Rice Wine. Hubby says very nice. But because I was just testing it, I used only 200g of rice and that yield 1/4 cup. I wanted to give to my mom to try and I didn't him to drink it. My teen also took a sip. They all liked it Razz

I'll edit the posts and recipe and will moved this topic to Drinks.

Thank you for trying it out with me, telephoning me to encourage me. I really appreciated it.

ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Lena

I succeeded in my 3rd batch using the Black Glutinous Rice to make wine. That's according to MIL's recipe. I phoned my mom last night telling her and she told me that there is another way of making it which is the 1 month old wine. The steps involved according to her was very tedious. Much more steps involved than this 72 hours wine.

This Black Glutinous Rice Wine smells and looks like the regular Red Wine..but tastes like chinese Rice Wine. Hubby says very nice. But because I was just testing it, I used only 200g of rice and that yield 1/4 cup. I wanted to give to my mom to try and I didn't him to drink it. My teen also took a sip. They all liked it Razz

I'll edit the posts and recipe and will moved this topic to Drinks.

Thank you for trying it out with me, telephoning me to encourage me. I really appreciated it.

Gina.

No. I should be the one to thank YOU for trying out with me. I really admire your determination and zest. In the meantime I wish you all the best. I will also be looking out for your tips. I will try some more but at a slower pace.

Thank You.

Lena.

P/S: I saw your family Photo at Jo's Deli. You and Your family look fabulous Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: