Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Traditional Glutinous Rice Wine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

that photo was posted here..sometime ago. Guess you missed it! Was my hubby birthday surprise.

i didn't bake that cake. but I got one of my cousins to buy him a cake and gave him a really big surprise that day.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,
I found this on the net last night:

Fermentation of Rice Wine
Ingredients required: glutinous rice, water, bubod, activated carbon or bentonite.
1. Weigh 1 kg of glutinous rice and wash through with water three times.
2. Drain and add 1.5 litres of water.
3. Cook in a rice cooker until well done. Let it cool.
4. Spread the cooked rice on a tray and inoculate with powdered bubod (rice yeast) at 1g per 100g of raw rice.
5. Cover the tray with a piece of paper or cloth and incubate at room temperature for two days.
6. Transfer to a fermentation jar with a water seal to allow the rice to ferment for two weeks, or until the bubbling stops.
7. Press out the alcoholic juice through a cheesecloth and discard the residue.
8. Pasteurise the freshly harvested wine at 65-70oC for 30 minutes.
9. Allow it to stand for one to three months in a dark, cool place to prevent discolouration.
10. Siphon the clear wine. If the wine is not yet clear, add one spoon of activated carbon or bentonite for every litre of wine. Mix well and filter.
11. Bottle the wine and pasteurise at 65-70oC for 20 minutes. Approximately 1 litre, or 3 bottles at 350ml, can be harvested from 1 kg of rice.

Adding one more feather to our nest...eh :lol: ?

Lena.

P/S: Yes, I may have missed seeing your family photo. I am still learning how to go about with the com. I must say I am learning more new things and tips as the days goes by. Many thanks to You and all. Very Happy
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,
Did the shop uncle order for you the red yeast? I found something that I think you may like to know:

. RED YEAST RICE
Rice fermented by the red yeast called Monascus purpureus. Has been used by the Chinese for many centuries as a food preservative, food colorant, spice & ingredient in rice wine. Research has shown that red yeast rice maintains healthy blood circulation & balances cholesterol levels.

By the way, I am trying out Sie's method of fermenting the rice wine with half black and white glutinous rice. So far it looks promising. I can see some of the wine. I am not very sure whether to keep for three months or not at our weather ( so hot) Do you think I should?

Lena.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

hide the jar in your bedroom. like all the old ah ma used to do. I believe they used to make wine all thru the year too.

..no haven't order my red yeast yet. ai ya forgot to ask the uncle yesterday. Went to buy some herbal stuff from him for brewing "liang" tea for hubby.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Lena

hide the jar in your bedroom. like all the old ah ma used to do. I believe they used to make wine all thru the year too.

..no haven't order my red yeast yet. ai ya forgot to ask the uncle yesterday. Went to buy some herbal stuff from him for brewing "liang" tea for hubby.

Gina,
My bedroom is the warmest place in the afternoon! Right now it is in my downstairs store room (30-31
ruru
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ~! I see some websites that put 4 pieces of the yeast balls and some as little as half a piece only, with the same amount of rice.

What difference does it make to the wine with the quantity of the yeast balls? Like, what if i put in too many... sorry cuz i don't really know what yeast balls are ...
bear
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: wine making Reply with quote

WOW, this is the place for me, I have never made rice wine but I do know that to avoid cloudiness and hazes in wine you need to add at the begining of fermentation a substance called "Fungal Amylase" for starch, (rice, root veggies wheat) "Pectolic Enzyme" for pectin ( found in all stone fruits plums etc and apples/quinces, anything that makes good jam).
I have been making wine from kits and hedgerow fruits ( sloes, blackberries, raspberries, hawthorn berries, elder berries, crab apples, ) just about anything that will ferment can be used in a controlled fermentation, everything must be sterilised, and the temperature kept at around 70f to start and 65f for the rest of the fermentation, the solids are usualy only kept in the brew for a few days because they will begin to go rotten and spoil the wine.
I could go on and on but I have chores to do, floor tiling, if I dont do it then I'm going to be in big trouble with she who must be obeyed, :lol: .
cheers m'dears, Bear
ps anything above 38c will kill the yeast, and higher temperatures can cause off!!! flavours,(medicine like).
I have done the laundry!!! honest,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: