Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:48 pm Post subject: Cafe Latte Sponge Cake(rec n pic)
|A cake to die for...I am in love with this. Its so delicious good.
another one of my tried and tested recipe. Adapted from a Japanese cookbook where it suggested to replace Plain flour with Potato starch to give the cake a super feathery light texture.
I omitted all forms of chemicals so that my parents can eat this cake without all the after-effects.
Removing from oven to cool
Whole cake :
4 egg yolks
200ml fresh milk
50ml sunflower oil
60g Potato starch
30g Cocoa Powder(I use Belcolade Cocoa Powder)
20g Instant Coffee (Nescafe Deluxe)
2 tbsp Kahlua Liquer*
*you can also use Tia Maria or Bailey's Cream, same amount
285g egg whites(approximately from 8 eggs)
100g light brown sugar
1. Add milk into a sauce pot to heat. Add cocoa powder, coffee and stir till its melted.
2. Remove from heat and add oil and stir. Leave it to cool before adding it to the egg yolks. Stir to mix evenly.
3. Sift potato starch to rid of any lumps. Pour into batter and stir to combined.
Finally add Kahlua liquer. The batter will appear a little shiny. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg whites with brown sugar till soft peaks.
5. Add cocoa batter in and continue to whisk till its well mixed (about 1 min)
6. Wrapped a square cake ring with foil paper. Rest it in a deep tray.
7. Pour batter into it.
8. Pour hot water into the tray (see pic 12 for reference). The water level must not exceed the foil paper.
9. Baked in preheated oven 160C for 1 hour.
10. Remove to cool, discard the water.
11. Sliced and serve..
Cake can be served chill. Can keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1