Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Black Forest Cake (Pic&Recipe)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pound & Butter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Black Forest Cake (Pic&Recipe) Reply with quote



Ingredients

(A)
4 egg yolks
40g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp rum
(B)
85ml corn oil warmed
25g cocoa powder
(C)
135ml warm water
(D)
125g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
(E)
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
50g sugar

Filling
15 fresh cherries pitted and halved
15 canned pitted sour cherries halved
400ml whipping cream whipped with 2 tbsp icing sugar
80g shaved Lindt Dark Chocolate
Fresh cherries

Method

1. Mix ingredients (A) well with a hand whisk.
2. Stir cocoa powder in warmed oil until dissolved and pour into yolk mixture.
3. Stir (C) into yolk mixture.
4. Sieve ingredient (D) and stir it into yolk mixture.
5. Whip egg whites in a clean mixing bowl until big bubbles are formed. Add in the cream of tartar and whip until white in colour.
6. Divide 50g sugar into 3 portions and add a portion at a time into egg white slowly while whipping the whites. Whip until stiff peaks formed.
7. Pour 1/2 white into yolk mixture and blend well.
8. Pour yolk mixture into the remaining egg white mixture and blend well.
9. Pour batter into clean baking pan and bake at 175C for 45 minutes or until cooked.
10. Invert cake and leave to cool. Then cut cooled cake into 2 layers.
11. Whip the cream with icing sugar until stiff.
12. Add pitted fresh and sour cherries into a small portion of the whipped cream.
13. Sandwich the cake with (12).
14. Decorate as appropriate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.




Last edited by Florence on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
angelic8
lurker


Joined: 03 Sep 2004
Posts: 73
Location: North

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe for choc chiffon cake is from Part A to Part E?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelic8 wrote:
The recipe for choc chiffon cake is from Part A to Part E?


Yes, Part A to Part (E)!

Hope you will try this recipe and enjoy the cake as well! Keep me posted to let me know if you like the cake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mycoffee
lurker


Joined: 15 Sep 2004
Posts: 178
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size of cake pan did you use for this one? Can I bake it in a 20cm tube pan?

Also, can I subsitute the rum with anything else? Don't have rum at home. island
________
M78


Last edited by mycoffee on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mycoffee wrote:
What size of cake pan did you use for this one? Can I bake it in a 20cm tube pan?

Also, can I subsitute the rum with anything else? Don't have rum at home. island


I bake this cake in a 20cm round pan and still have some batter left which I put it into 4 muffin cups to bake.

I guess it should be alright to use a 20cm tube pan and also use medium sized eggs instead of large sized eggs.

If you have no rum replace it with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jq
lurker


Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence

This is such a gorgeous cake!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jq wrote:
Florence

This is such a gorgeous cake!!!


Thank you jq!

Baking another one today for my mother-in-law's birthday party in the evening.

She especially requested it after eating it last Thursday when I baked it for my DD's birthday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jc_mum
lurker


Joined: 03 Sep 2004
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Florence,

Thank you for the recipe. I am thinking of trying this for my dd b/d celebration next mth. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc_mum wrote:
Hi Florence,

Thank you for the recipe. I am thinking of trying this for my dd b/d celebration next mth. Smile


You must try it. I baked one for my MIL's birthday yesterday and there was this teen girl who didn't like cakes at all. Guess what, she came back for a second slice.

The cake was all gone within a moment.

This was the cake yesterday!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jojong
lurker


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Location: Woodlands, Singapore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cakes are always so beautifully decorated.

Wonder when can I reach your standard.

Your first photo of the black forest cake with the words "Happy Birthday Michelle" a piece of paper? marzipan or ? Couldn't figure out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fion
lurker


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 10
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Florence!!! Very nice and professional looking cake! If only I can bake like you...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jojong wrote:
Your cakes are always so beautifully decorated.

Wonder when can I reach your standard.

Your first photo of the black forest cake with the words "Happy Birthday Michelle" a piece of paper? marzipan or ? Couldn't figure out.



It's a sugar craft birthday tag! I didn't make it. I just bought it off the shelf at a shop that sells baking stuff. It comes in a pack of 4 with different designs. Cost about S$1 each.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jc_mum
lurker


Joined: 03 Sep 2004
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
Jojong wrote:
Your cakes are always so beautifully decorated.

Wonder when can I reach your standard.

Your first photo of the black forest cake with the words "Happy Birthday Michelle" a piece of paper? marzipan or ? Couldn't figure out.



It's a sugar craft birthday tag! I didn't make it. I just bought it off the shelf at a shop that sells baking stuff. It comes in a pack of 4 with different designs. Cost about S$1 each.


Hi Florence,

I dunno when you will be back here in Dec. If possible, will you get for me the sugar craft birthday tag with the name Jessica on it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc_mum wrote:

Hi Florence,

I dunno when you will be back here in Dec. If possible, will you get for me the sugar craft birthday tag with the name Jessica on it?



I can spare you one, I'll pack it into my luggage now!

As to the name, you just write it on yourself. I'm lazy so I used felt pen but you are supposed to use melted chocolate and piped the name onto the tag.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jc_mum
lurker


Joined: 03 Sep 2004
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
jc_mum wrote:

Hi Florence,

I dunno when you will be back here in Dec. If possible, will you get for me the sugar craft birthday tag with the name Jessica on it?



I can spare you one, I'll pack it into my luggage now!

As to the name, you just write it on yourself. I'm lazy so I used felt pen but you are supposed to use melted chocolate and piped the name onto the tag.


Oh..thought the name came with it..haha...Thank You! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
hugbear
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 11 Sep 2004
Posts: 288

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence I realised you can get more cute bakery stuff in HK than in Singapore. True?
_________________
LeeLee
Pasir Ris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugbear wrote:
Florence I realised you can get more cute bakery stuff in HK than in Singapore. True?


Sorry, didn't write earlier as I was off to Singapore.

Yes, we do have a lot of fancy stuff in HK.

Check out some of these HK bakery shops selling baking stuff.


www.bakingwarehouse.com
www.twinsco.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mngzara
lurker


Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 30
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
hugbear wrote:
Florence I realised you can get more cute bakery stuff in HK than in Singapore. True?


Sorry, didn't write earlier as I was off to Singapore.

Yes, we do have a lot of fancy stuff in HK.

Check out some of these HK bakery shops selling baking stuff.


www.bakingwarehouse.com
www.twinsco.com


Florence,

Beside this 2 shops where else u get the baking ingredient in Hk? My Fil always say he cant get this cant get that. I will go to the 2 shops when I visit Hk in Feb, I been to a shop selling all those baking need but still not good enough. Anyway, thanks for the link.


Last edited by Mngzara on Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc_mum,

I forgot to hand the sugar craft birthday tag to Gina on Sunday. Anyway,
I left the birthday tag in Singapore at my sister's place. If you are still interested to get hold of it, please let me know and we can make arrangement for you to collect it over the weekend.

I so sorry for making such a blunder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jc_mum
lurker


Joined: 03 Sep 2004
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Florence,

Thank you for all the trouble of bringing the tag over. No need to apologise to me. Smile Well, as I don't live near Bishan, I think I will give it a miss. Very Sorry!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc_mum wrote:
Hi Florence,

Thank you for all the trouble of bringing the tag over. No need to apologise to me. Smile Well, as I don't live near Bishan, I think I will give it a miss. Very Sorry!


I can get my sister to pass it to Gina.

You still want it or not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jc_mum
lurker


Joined: 03 Sep 2004
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
jc_mum wrote:
Hi Florence,

Thank you for all the trouble of bringing the tag over. No need to apologise to me. Smile Well, as I don't live near Bishan, I think I will give it a miss. Very Sorry!


I can get my sister to pass it to Gina.

You still want it or not?


If yr sister is ok to pass to Gina, then I can get it together with the poohbear cutter. Ok, I will have it.

Thanks very much for yr effort!

Sunny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lazyg3r
lurker


Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 82
Location: Punggol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence,

I have made this cake twice. Received a lot of positive feedback.

Decorating the cream is the hardest part and also the messiest, esp when coating the sides with chocolates.

Nonetheless, thank you for such a wonderful recipe.
_________________
Judy

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Florence
Kitchen Hand


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 437
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazyg3r wrote:
Florence,

I have made this cake twice. Received a lot of positive feedback.

Decorating the cream is the hardest part and also the messiest, esp when coating the sides with chocolates.

Nonetheless, thank you for such a wonderful recipe.


Good work and thank you that you all liked this recipe!

This is what I do to cream the cake. First, I do the filling then around the cake but leave the top bare. Shaved all the chocolates onto a large baking sheet, hold the top and bottom of cake with both hands, roll the creamed side of the cake on to the chocolate shavings, gathering as much shavings as you can. Settle the cake onto your cake board and do the top creaming and decoration. This way it won't be so messy trying to stick the choc shavings onto the side of the cake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lazyg3r
lurker


Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 82
Location: Punggol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
Good work and thank you that you all liked this recipe!

This is what I do to cream the cake. First, I do the filling then around the cake but leave the top bare. Shaved all the chocolates onto a large baking sheet, hold the top and bottom of cake with both hands, roll the creamed side of the cake on to the chocolate shavings, gathering as much shavings as you can. Settle the cake onto your cake board and do the top creaming and decoration. This way it won't be so messy trying to stick the choc shavings onto the side of the cake.


Wow.. good idea! Will do that next time! Very Happy
_________________
Judy

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pound & Butter All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group