Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Black Forest Cake (Pic&Recipe)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alannia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Glad. Coat a very thin layer of cream on the cake. This is to 'seal' in the crumbs. Then only coat the second layer.
toon
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MamaC,

If you freeze the cake overnight and then thaw it before consumption, how does the texture of the cake compare to one that was never frozen? (ie, will the sponge cake still be as soft and airy/light?) Is there any moisture loss from the cake during the freezing process? How do you prevent moisture loss?
peggygsf
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad wrote:
peggygsf wrote:
Glad, ur cake design is very nice!! How did u manage to spread the whip cream onto the cake till so smooth? Any tips?

Not very smooth if you see the actual cake (seems to be smooth from pix huh Wink ). This is what I did, I spread a layer of cream on the cake, then add on more cream and spread again. If you have time, you can freeze your cake after you have spread the 1st layer of cream. Wait till the cream harden a bit, then continue with the final icing. HTH.

Ok!! cos everytime when I try to spread the cream on the cake, it will melt very fast!! Now I get it!! Will try ur method. Thanks
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toon wrote:
Hi MamaC,

If you freeze the cake overnight and then thaw it before consumption, how does the texture of the cake compare to one that was never frozen? (ie, will the sponge cake still be as soft and airy/light?) Is there any moisture loss from the cake during the freezing process? How do you prevent moisture loss?

If the freezing time is within 1 week the cake is fine as far as the flavor and texture goes. My friend Maria... told me that her cakes are fine for 1 week in the freezer.
I had a chiffon cake in the freezer for 2 weeks and was fine as the day I baked it. Didn't lost flavor or texture.
The cakes are fine in the freezer ... what is not fine, are the fillings made out of puddings. The buttercream however is very resisting in the freezer.

My cakes never lost any moisture... I don't know how long you intend to keep them in the freezer.
The only way to prevent moisture loss is to have them stored in air tight containers.
toon
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaC,

Ok, got it. With this tip to freeze cakes before frosting them, it lets me schedule my bakes ahead of time, so just want to make sure of the details. Wink
mrslim2000
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the great bakers:

All yr cakes are soooooo nice!

Thanks Florence for sharing this recipe. I hope I can try it out soon but sharks! my mixer half dead on me. :cry: Still can be used but need to stand beside it to push it move. LOL.
tlean
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Strange flavour Reply with quote

Hi Florence, I tried this recipe, after seeing so many ppl raving abt your recipes on other posts too. The sponge turned out lovely, although I added brown sugar (instead of white) to the egg yolks, and a little more than in your recipe. The cake cracked, but I'm not sure why. And the smell of the cocoa with warmed corn oil was just quite overpowering. The cake's consistency was lovely, though. Is there any reason why the recipe called for warmed corn oil to be combined with the cocoa powder, instead of the conventional sponge which calls for the cocoa to be added to the flour, and egg yolks with corn oil, not warmed?

Here's how mine turned out. Would love to try this out again, perhaps using the conventional method to see what happens...

http://amouthfulofmuses.blogspot.com/2008/10/black-forest-gateau.html
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies, I had tried this recipe a few times now...whenever I used the three inch high 8 inch (diameter) round cake pan....the cake will seem to bake nicely (rise slowly in oven) but when I turned it out after cooling, I will find a big crater in the middle. The inside will show uneven (denseness) layers of cake. Does anyone know why?

I was able to bake other chiffon cakes (orange, yam and mango) in the tube pan successfully so I don't think it is my technique of beating the eggwhites or the folding.
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
SeaDragon
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asan,
When you said big crater, do you mean big cracks, or sinking? and the unevenness layers are two layers, kuih-like at the bottom?
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, seadragon......the crater was due to sinking (big time), no cracks. The layering....yeah, some portions are so dense that they are kueh like. Someone told me...poor emulsification (I warmed the oil) but why only this recipe and why only when I use regular cake pans without the middle tube. Honestly, I was so discouraged that I did not try it again using the chiffon cake pan. Thanks!
SeaDragon
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asan,
As I haven't tried this recipe, I can only guess the reasons. I see that the recipe ask for dissolving cocoa powder in warmed oil, make sure the cocoa powder is thoroughly dissolved, with not a single lump left. However if you find that hard to do, I would change it slightly by using boiling water instead of warm water and dissolving cocoa powder in boiling water instead of the oil. Let cool before adding together.

The big crater effect is usually due to flour not folded in properly or cocoa powder not dissolved thoroughly. I compared that to the 'souffle' effect. The flour that is not folded in properly sank to the bottom creating a dense kuih-like layer. While the top part with not enough flour to hold the batter together rise like a souffle while hot and sank after removing from the heat.
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, seadragon...I did wonder if it was just this recipe as I don't have problems with other types of chiffon cakes....too bad, we all like chocolate cakes.....but I will try using boiling water to dissolve the cocoa instead of oil next time.

I also wondered about my oven temperature....so lately, whenever I make chiffon cakes, I have been placing a pan of water on the oven floor to taper the heat and also lowering the temp to 325F (instead of 350).

Thanks again!
coolcookie
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just baked this cake, and this is the first time I made a cake using the separation method. I have some questions which i hope the experienced forummers can help:

1.This is a chiffon cake, not sponge?

2. The top of my top looks perfect but when I reverse the cake out, I can see dark patches on the bottom. Is it becos I did not fold in the cocoa batter with egg white well enough?

This is how it look when I cut open the cake:

3. Is there a time limit how soon the folding must complete?

4. The cake has a strong egg white smell. Anyone has similar encounter? I added 1 tbsp dark rum in (A).

Thanks.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolcookie wrote:

1.This is a chiffon cake, not sponge?

2. The top of my top looks perfect but when I reverse the cake out, I can see dark patches on the bottom. Is it becos I did not fold in the cocoa batter with egg white well enough?

3. Is there a time limit how soon the folding must complete?

4. The cake has a strong egg white smell. Anyone has similar encounter? I added 1 tbsp dark rum in (A).

cookie

1. This is a sponge cake recipe. Although it looks similar to Chiffon cake.

2. yes, you didn't mix the batters evenly, so there is more concentration on one end of the cake.

3. Time limit? more like don't over do it. Do a good 5 to 8 sweeps of the spatula when you mix the batters. As long as you don't see 2 different colours of batter, you should stop stirring or mixing.

4. Egg smell should not be evident if you have added cocoa and rum. Its only evident when you don't add any flavouring. Also, when you steam a cake, the egg smell usually is stronger.

But ideally, if you have never done sponge cakes, this recipe is not easy to follow. Too many steps and ingredients to mix and beat. Go for something simple.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
tlean
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Cake has strange smell Reply with quote

hi all, following up from my post above, wondering why the batter had a strange smell of oil and cocoa. I smelt it first when I added the cocoa to the warmed oil. Does anyone know how warm the "warmed corn oil" has to be? Does it have to be hot or cooled slightly after? The cake itself smelt of funny cocoa and corn oil mix too. Did any of you encounter this problem?
coolcookie
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina, I've got it right now:

Hee, tomorrow no need go your house liao ;-)

Hi tlean,

I have seen your blog. Actually your cake looks pretty nice.

my batter do not have any strange smell of oil and cocoa. Mine is the egg white smell.

Maybe you check on the type/brand that you use. I use a neutral smelling oil like sunflower, and using van houten cocoa powder which is smells great, and inexpensive.

The oil is warm when it is comfortable to touch with you bare hand. If you can dip your (clean) finger into the oil comfortably, it is warm. If too hot, it will cook the egg yolk when you pour it into the egg yolk mixture.

I think it has to be warm so that cocoa podwer can dissolve in it.

As for the crack - could be either of these reason:
1) the egg white is over-whisked. I stopped at soft peak. If you go to stiff peak, the batter may get too dry and cause cracking.

2) the oven temp is too high. When the temp is too high, the surface is cook first. Then when the inside is cooked,it pushed up and caused the surface to crack. Every oven is different, it is not 180C when the knob says 180C, so it helps to have a oven thermometer.

I am also learning... so if any guru is reading this, pls correct me.

Cheers

Last edited by coolcookie on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carrie Ow
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hi,

Just to share share the picture of my cakie..

I do not know how to post up pictures, so I'll just include the link to my bloggie..

http://bake-with-love.blogspot.com/2008/12/blackforest-cake-for-bday-boy.html

People who tried the cake commented that its very nice! And of cos I'm really please with the outcome of the cake! Thanks florence for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Cheerios!

Http://www.bake-with-love.blogspot.com
nora
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie

I've posted the photo for you.

lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Nora! Thank you so much! You're a genius! Thanks thanks! Now ppl can save the trouble of clicking it here and there.. Hehe

Thanks! Smile

Http://www.bake-with-love.blogspot.com
byjpoh
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

may i know how you all post your photos?? i wanted to post mine too
Tulipy
lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe calls for cake flour..can I use plain or self raising flour instead? Will the texture of the cake differs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pound & Butter All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: