Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Easy Buffalo Wings(recipe and pic by Linlin)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Easy Finger Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Easy Buffalo Wings(recipe and pic by Linlin) Reply with quote

Kirsten, here's the recipe u requested, enjoy making them! Very Happy

Ingredients:

12 wings, disjointed (that would make 12 mid joints & 12 drumletts)
Salt
Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup hot red pepper sauce
Oil for frying

Method:

1. Wash wings & pat dry.
2. Season wings with a bit of salt & cayenne pepper. Add more pepper if u like it more spicy.
3. Deep fry wings till golden & crispy, abt 10 mins.
4. Melt butter in a medium size pot or saucepan under low fire. Add in the hot sauce to heat through. Remove from fire.
5. Toss wings into the hot sauce to coat evenly. Serve immediately.

Here's the sauce I use for the above recipe, personally I find it not spicy enough for me, will continue my search for more spicy hot sauce!

hellodolly
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linlin, Hey, thanks so much for this Very Happy - now all I need is to look for the 'Hot Sauce'. Is tabasco ok - maybe 1 cup will be too much then huh??
Janny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hottest ever sauce i have ever come across is from barbecue galore. it is called 'woman scorned'. all my hair stood up when i tasted it .
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsten,
Tabasco will do, it is also a hot sauce...Tabasco is actually the name of the brand..hehe..I didn't know that until hubby told me so!
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kirsten, juz realised I forgot to answer ur other question..hehe! If u think 1 cup of hot sauce is too much, maybe u can reduce it to 3/4 cup or juz see how much u want ur sauce to be, sometimes I also dun really follow exactly the amount the recipe yields for when it comes to cooking, adjust it to ur taste Very Happy
hellodolly
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linlin wrote:
Kirsten,
Tabasco will do, it is also a hot sauce...Tabasco is actually the name of the brand..hehe..I didn't know that until hubby told me so!

Linlin, just found out my mum has a bottle of spicy periperi chicken sauce - quite hot from memory, i may use that instead cos me no like the taste of tabasco! Waiting for weekend now to test. tks again.
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsten, let me know the results of ur Buffalo Wings!
TheEpicure
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Buffalo Wings come from Buffalo New York. The original method was simply a double-dipped egg and then flour mixture followed by deep frying. Afterwards, it was tossed in hot sauce mixture and served with celery and blue cheese dip.
papercook
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinLin

Is Cayene Pepper the same as chilli powder?

I once tried a baked buffalo wing recipe but i used chilli powder

a bit spicy but no distinct taste.
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papercook,
Cayenne pepper is different from chili powder. Chili powder has a darker color than cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper works well with buffalo wings, do try it.
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsten,
I tried another version of Buffalo Wings tonight, saw it on tv this afternoon. This recipe has better taste to it, taste more like the original buffalo wings. Here is the recipe if u would like to try it too!

Ingredients:

For marination
30 chicken wings (mixture of drumlettes & mid-joints, personally I like to use only mid-joint)
1 cup hot sauce
1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce

For deep-frying
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Praprika (A.K.A chili powder, this is optional..I add it in for more kick!)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
Oil for deep-frying

For coating
1 cup hot sauce
1/2 cup unsalted butter

Method:

1. Marinate wings with both sauces for at least 30 mins. For best results, cover the marinated wings with saran wrap & leave in the fridge to let the marination seep in.
2. Heat oil for deep-frying.
3. In a plate, place flour & sprinkle salt, cayenne pepper & praprika to mix well.
4. In a bowl, mix eggs with milk & whisk thoroughly.
5. Dredge wings into flour mixture, then dip into egg wash & dredge wings into flour mixture again to coat evenly.
6. Deep fry wings for abt 12 to 15 mins or until batter achieves a crisp, uniform texture. Drain on paper towels.
7. Heat unsalted butter in a saucepan, add in hot sauce to heat thru.
8. Toss wings into hot sauce to coat evenly. Serve.
TheEpicure
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinLin, I saw the same episode of Sara's Secrets. I kind of want to try the recipe, but 1 cup of hot sauce?! I need to go out and buy a restaurant-sized jug of tabasco. Razz
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
U can get a bigger bottle of the hot sauce instead of the regular small ones. My hubby got me one which is Frank's, pretty good size. Personally I also think 1 cup is alot..hehe...well can always eye ball it!
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw Alan, are u also a fan of food network tv?? Very Happy
TheEpicure
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch Food TV quite often, but many of the new shows I don't really enjoy. Good Eats, Sara's Secrets, Jacques Torres, Barefoot Contessa, and Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello are my favorites.
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh Allen, now then I realised I've been spelling ur name wrongly, sorry abt that! I hardly watched it nowadays cos always busy cooking in the kitchen during the evenings. Used to watch Semi Home-made & Everyday Italian alot. Sometimes also on the few that u mentioned.
mj
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this yesterday...not the authentic sort though, but we feel it's better than the ones we find at the bars/diners/restaurants.

It's a cheater bug method. Bought the premix powder. And the package said that we could either deep fry and make the sauce or marinate and grill. Being the lazy sunday... I went for the marinate and bake method. Turned out well. Just pour the powder, rub it on the chicken and bake. There were specific instructions as to how much to put and all...but I just agah-agah (estimate).

It's by DURKEE The picture of the bottle is a link in the recipe. This is great stuff! Smile
linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mj,
I've also made hot wings alot of times using Durkee hot wing mix before. In fact, always buy home for my family & friends too..they love it! But because I wanna learn how to make the real buffalo wings, so I tried the recipe. To compare, both are good! It depends on how lazy I can get..hehe..u should try making the authentic buffalo wings recipe, maybe u would love it too!
mj
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linlin,

maybe one day I would! Smile Right now I don't have all the ingrediants required, so it's just nice to use what's available.

Glad to know Durkee ain't that bad... I think it'll be great for "parties" Easy cooking...

I am very glad to see the wings recipe though, I simply love wings!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Easy Finger Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: