Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Baked New York Cheesecake(Pic & Recipe)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Baked New York Cheesecake(Pic & Recipe) Reply with quote

Baked this for our ladies' lunch today. Actually my uncle who is a HK Mandarin Hotel cake chef taught me this. After today's lunch I had 11 orders for this cake for over the CNY period (i.e first to 15). There were 12 of us at lunch just now!

This is the first time that I have done this cake, so I sliced the cake into 12 slices and packaged it as above. This way I can know what the cake is like inside before I bring it out to lunch otherwise if the cake is no good then very "pai sei".

(He did not specify which brand of each ingredient to use. The brand names posted in this recipe are what I used to bake this cake).

Ingredients: (for 20cm springform cake pan)
Base:

100g digestive biscuits (crushed)
50g unsalted butter (melted - 1 minute on HIGH in microwave)

Filling:
500g Anchor Cream Cheese
100g - 120g Castor Sugar
3 Eggs
65g President whipping cream (35% dairy cream)
50g Valrhona White Chocolate (melted via double boil)
1/2 zest from 1 lemon (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence or 1/2 tsp lemon juice (I used vanilla)

Sour cream Topping
120g Hokkaido Organic Sour Cream
70g Sweet Whipping Cream (non-dairy cream)

Method:

1. Toss crushed biscuit crumbs into melted butter.
2. Press this biscuit mixture over the bottom of a lined springform pan and leave aside.
3. Cream cheese and sugar together till smooth and add in the eggs one by one beating till smooth and then add the rest of the ingredients and beat well.
4. Pour filling onto cake base and bake over a hot water bath at 150C for 40 minutes.
5. Remove the water bath now and continue to bake cake till cooked. It may take another 20 - 30 minutes. Remove when cooked and chill completely.
6. Beat sour cream and sweet cream until stiff and pour this over totally cooled cake and bake for a further 5 minutes at 200C. Do not move the cake too much as the sour cream topping might show crack lines.
5. Chilled before serving.

Notes: The chocolate lines are just decor and the piping around the cake are the left over sour cream topping.

Last edited by Florence on Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
makan_kaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence
Cheesecake is my weakness. Thanks for making me salivate. Very Happy
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makan_kaki wrote:
Florence

IF only you were with us just then for lunch.

My friends were all full to the brim after having Korean BBQ and when they saw my cheesecake, they ordered coffee. Unfortunately, the coffee was tasteless and we were sighing, saying that we should have gone to UCC for our coffee and cheesecake.

After today's lunch, I have orders for 11 cheesecakes for the CNY, there were 12 of us at lunch. :lol:
makan_kaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
makan_kaki wrote:
Florence

My friends were all full to the brim after having Korean BBQ and when they saw my cheesecake, they ordered coffee. Unfortunately, the coffee was tasteless and we were sighing, saying that we should have gone to UCC for our coffee and cheesecake.

After today's lunch, I have orders for 11 cheesecakes for the CNY, there were 12 of us at lunch. :lol:

Thanks for the invite *lol* Unfortunately, I've been indulging too much and my pants have gotten a little tight lately. *sigh* Happy that you got so many orders though. Happy baking!
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makan_kaki wrote:
Florence wrote:
makan_kaki wrote:
Florence

Thanks for the invite *lol* Unfortunately, I've been indulging too much and my pants have gotten a little tight lately. *sigh* Happy that you got so many orders though. Happy baking!

Well, thank god that you are in Japan but not SG otherwise, you might not even fit into your pants after all the sinful CNY indulgence! Anyway, you don't need CNY to indulge do you!

With this cheesecake is not "happy baking" but "singh kor baking" ar!
makan_kaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
Well, thank god that you are in Japan but not SG otherwise, you might not even fit into your pants after all the sinful CNY indulgence! Anyway, you don't need CNY to indulge do you!

Poor Florence. If I were there, I'd help you. I just love getting my hands dirty in the kitchen and in the garden. CNY or not, doesn't matter. Japan has wonderful wonderful cakes, breads and pastries, rather than resist all the time, I surrender some of the time *lol*
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makan_kaki wrote:
Florence wrote:

Poor Florence. If I were there, I'd help you. I just love getting my hands dirty in the kitchen and in the garden. CNY or not, doesn't matter. Japan has wonderful wonderful cakes, breads and pastries, rather than resist all the time, I surrender some of the time *lol*

Ai ya! You should be my neighbour in HK and just pop in anytime to lend a helping hand.

I know Japan has got such good bread and pastries. I live 10 minutes walk away from UNY which is a 3-floor department store just like SOGO. The basement is the supermarket area and there is a bakery called PANASH which sells really nice and soft bread loaves and pastries. Also there is PAPA BREAD. Now there is a new stall selling octopus balls - what do you call this in Japanese? My girls love it 8 balls for HK$30 quite expensive!

Also, I always surrender myself to their bread. Sometimes couldn't resist those just out of the oven that I eat them straight away before paying at the counter with the empty bag. Greedy me!
makan_kaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:
Ai ya! You should be my neighbour in HK and just pop in anytime to lend a helping hand.

I know Japan has got such good bread and pastries. I live 10 minutes walk away from UNY which is a 3-floor department store just like SOGO. The basement is the supermarket area and there is a bakery called PANASH which sells really nice and soft bread loaves and pastries. Also there is PAPA BREAD. Now there is a new stall selling octopus balls - what do you call this in Japanese? My girls love it 8 balls for HK$30 quite expensive!

They're called takoyaki. Too bad I don't like squid but I'll take your word for it that they're good. Wink Speaking of being in HK, my hubby's there now just for a couple of days. I've sent him on a shopping mission for me, hunting down plum sauce and whatever else the kids and I are missing. I was planning to meet him there but priorities, priorities...
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makan_kaki wrote:
They're called takoyaki. Too bad I don't like squid but I'll take your word for it that they're good. Wink Speaking of being in HK, my hubby's there now just for a couple of days. I've sent him on a shopping mission for me, hunting down plum sauce and whatever else the kids and I are missing. I was planning to meet him there but priorities, priorities...

Ai yo! You should join your hubby in HK then we can meet up and cook up a tsunami ma!

makan_kaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:

Ai yo! You should join your hubby in HK then we can meet up and cook up a tsunami ma!

I wish I could have but the kids have school. Can't even go to Chinatown on the 9th for the same reason. Gotta cook up our own festive spirit at home.

Last edited by makan_kaki on Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makan_kaki,

Have your bib ready!

I am baking one right now for a birthday order tomorrow!

Florence
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence

my hubby also going to HK in March..no tentative dates..but he is hopeless when it comes to shopping anything for me. He is also hopeless in directions. in Singapore, already get lost..!

I'm just praying that he goes during the 1st week school holiday so we can all go with him. and then you and I and my girls can meet up and EAT again.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Florence

my hubby also going to HK in March..no tentative dates..but he is hopeless when it comes to shopping anything for me. He is also hopeless in directions. in Singapore, already get lost..!

I'm just praying that he goes during the 1st week school holiday so we can all go with him. and then you and I and my girls can meet up and EAT again.

Good, good! Looking forward!
tanspc
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find that anchor cream cheese seems better than philadep one
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanspc wrote:
i find that anchor cream cheese seems better than philadep one

Anchor not so sourish right?
tanspc
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i feel so and it taste better for cheesecake i feel.... and the plus point is its cheaper.
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanspc wrote:
yeah i feel so and it taste better for cheesecake i feel.... and the plus point is its cheaper.

Pretty thrifty!

In HK, 1 kg Anchor cream cheese is S$10 whereas 1 kg "P" cream cheese is S$20!
airen26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: do i need to use sweet whipping cream Reply with quote

hi .. i wan to make this cake...bt do i need to buy both the non-dairy and dairy whipping cream... wan to save some cost... i kinda of beginner in cake area. can anyone help mi?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Say Cheese! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: